You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fattyy

How Does one do damage in the Budyonny? Should I skip it with free XP?

20 comments in this topic

[FNC]
Members
2 posts
1,890 battles

I got the molotov recently and really liked the gameplay, and was interested in the moskva so decided to go down russian cruiser line. So what i'm wondering is how do people actually do damage on the Buddy? I've played 4 games with it so far, matched against people in the 6-8 range, and I just cannot do anything despite landing 100+ shots a game (average 20k damage per game). Whenever I fire at bbs with HE I get 6-8 hits per salvo and 0-480 damage per salvo. (usually 0). Firing at cruisers, I score 2-4k dmg per salvo with HE and I tried AP but it just bounces, even against other similarly tiered cruisers. When I play molotov/cleveland and fire at the same ships with HE I usually get 3-6k damage per salvo on bbs and 10k damage easily against cruisers with AP.

What am I missing? I fail to see how this is a good ship. Does no damage, doesn't manouver well, and is a squishy [edited]. Should I just skip it with free XP and move on to the chappy?

PS. If anyones interested I can post a video of me shooting at bbs for 5 minutes straight, landing 60 shots, and doing a grand total of 4k damage, lol...

Edited by Fattyy

Members
409 posts
5,504 battles

AHHGGG WHAT? NONONONONO! The Buddyonny is a Molo with enough armor to bounce light cruiser shells!

Go for long range AP at cruisers. Do not close.

IT IS A WONDERFUL SHIP! HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY NOT LIKE IT?

Edited by python_vs_ruby
  • Cool 3

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

If you can't do damage with Budyonny, quit the russian cruiser line now. The tiers 7 and 8 use the exact same guns.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
28,061 posts
41,726 battles

Fattyy, the Budy is an outstanding cruiser for its tier.  Besides, you need to learn to do well in it because the next 2 Russian cruisers are extremely similar, IIRC.  I am currently on the Shchors, the tier 7 Russian cruiser and it's quite similar to the Budy, just with an extra triple turret.

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

Arguably, it's the best Soviet cruiser tier-for-tier. Perfect balance in all of its stats. In higher tier games, you're not expected to do damage with HE. However, you're main job is to spam as much fires as you can to as many ships as possible. You don't just spam HE on ONE ship. Set a ship on fire, move to the next and rinse and repeat. It's not uncommon for Soviet ships with the 152mm to have more fire damage than HE damage.

You don't want to skip to the Chapayev. The Chapayev uses the same guns but can potentially face Tier 10s. Its HE won't do much.. however, it can spam fires which you need to learn in the Budyonny.

Edited by Camping4XP
  • Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,462 battles

Budyonny is arguably the best T6 cruiser, rivalling Cleveland and Aoba for the title. It is a very good ship.

Don't skip! To me it is a keeper.

Members
1,430 posts
3,437 battles

So people complained about the Budy being OP and now UP?

Decide already!

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

Well, something's weird because you say you can do damage fine in the Cleveland, but not in the Budyonny.  Budyonny's guns are a cut above the Cleveland's --  HE is just as good, and the AP is slighly higher damage and a little punchier, IIRC.  You and you get more range.  Trade-off of course is that you get one less mount.

But hit-for-hit you should be doing as good or better damage in the Budyonny as the Cleveland.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,926 battles

Well, something's weird because you say you can do damage fine in the Cleveland, but not in the Budyonny.

Difference: Cleveland's arcs are so bad you can't help but land shells on the superstructure. Budyonny's arcs are so good you can pick where your shells land. Unfortunately, the easy-mode Cleveland does little to prepare players for the reality of ship damage models. OP is probably slamming HE into heavy armour more often than not.

@OP, I think you'd benefit greatly from a read of Dealing Damage in WoWS.

Members
381 posts
5,656 battles

Get the DE skill, Shoot AP at broadsides of cruisers, some BB's.

He Spam Approaching or retreating ships and DD's

You should be able to rack cits on most T5-T7 Crusiers, You can pen BB's if you hit them just right.

Your sweet spot on range with AP is 11-14.5 KM  Where you will really punch holes in most every cruiser on a broadside, including the mythical unicorn Cleveland cit.

Learn to switch your shells up as needed, fast ROF allows you to spit what ever works best and change-up quickly

You skip this ship you are doing yourself a great injustice.

Use her a bit like the Molo, Punch the lights out of cruisers early on, dont wait to close and use mainly your front batteries.  Your nose is tough, not fragile like the Molo.

I got smashed by a fuso nose on in the Molotov, the Budy can take dozens of 8" if your nose on angled properly

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

Difference: Cleveland's arcs are so bad you can't help but land shells on the superstructure. Budyonny's arcs are so good you can pick where your shells land. Unfortunately, the easy-mode Cleveland does little to prepare players for the reality of ship damage models. OP is probably slamming HE into heavy armour more often than not.

@OP, I think you'd benefit greatly from a read of Dealing Damage in WoWS.

Ah.  Yes; that makes sense.  Flatter arc is a positive for many things to but if you aim too low, they do make make it easier to squander your 6" rounds into the armored belt of battleship, where neither HE nor AP will do much of anything.

[BLKHS]
Beta Testers
1,612 posts
8,174 battles

Dude seriously?   The Buddy is a B.A. ship.....it kicks [edited]in team battles and in pubbies - focus on enemy cruisers and whack them with AP.  Against BB's, unless you have a broadside, torch them with HE....

Members
153 posts
3,282 battles

Love the Budyonny, sunk seven ships in her, most ever with any of my ships. The whole RU line from Kirov up is great if played right. Just did over 100 thousand damage in the Chappy today. I wouldn't and didn't skip any of them, still have everything from the Kirov up in my port, won't sell them.

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

The major thing with the Buddy AP is it's almost too good.  Low damage rolls can mostly be attributed to over pens on cruisers when you're not landing them right in the Citadel.  The HE with it's fire chance is amazing though.  My problem with it is I push AP far too often when I should be pushing HE and vice versa.  Mainly what you want to do is support what other team mates are shooting and wait for the broadside shots with AP.  When they don't give you the broadside, shoot HE until they do. 

Here's an example of how I play it (First few minutes are of me firing and failing to hit anything with the spotter plane, still trying to get used to that view skip until 4 minutes or so into the video for the parts where I'm actually having an effect on the game lol)

[FNC]
Members
2 posts
1,890 battles

Thanks for all your comments, especially the one about dealing damage in WoWs. The playstyle is a bit different than what i'm used to, and maybe I just got a bit unlucky. I'll definetely invest more time practicing it, thanks for the reassurement that it is actually a pretty good ship!

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,182 posts
30,938 battles

There are many reasons why Budyonny has the nickname "My Buddy."

Tier for tier, Budyonny is an oustanding ship, and I'd dare say, the best Cruiser for their appropriate tier.  Her only weakness is in AA but in everything else, she is GTG in and has an answer for anything.  If you pull up stats for Tier VI Cruisers, you will find the top 2 performing ships are Molotov and Budyonny, and it's quite close.  Nothing else approaches them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

Only thing I can think of is your are not aiming for the superstructure of ships using HE. With AP aim for the waterline on other cruisers, and the superstructure on more armored targets.