Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jakajan

Fun Farragut game

7 comments in this topic

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

I usually do not play USN Destroyers but I took my Farragut out for a round tonight, Oh what a round! It felt like I could not miss with the rainbow arc guns tonight.

UTL5I0G.png

fyWSnDv.png

Maybe I have finally gotten a hang of counting the ticks on my reticle for taking shots? Dunno!

Or maybe this just reinforces my point that USN DD are OP and Mayyyybe I need to play them more often.

Edited by Jakajan

Beta Testers
852 posts
3 battles

It gets better with the next ship, you can finally stealth torp in the Mahan. I would say, it's one of those games where you do well and MM kinda easy seeing tier 4s in there. My usual battles consist of getting tier 7s most of the time.

[WOLF9]
Members
168 posts
4,960 battles

Great game! I cant do crap in this ship except cap and defend. How the heck do you play her?

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

How di I play Farragut? I follow the basic rules of destroyer battling.

Safety #1 Never fight another destroyer while solo. Especially not early on!

Because you know you do not have backup and they may have a sneaky destroyer backing them up that you do not see. Only fight when you have support, or if the risk is worth it. Fighting in the first 5 minutes without support is a bad idea.

Safety #2 Determine your ideal range to fight!

The Farragut is a interesting ship with her high arcs. I would say she could engage a Battleship at maximum range, a cruiser at 10km to maximum. Do not get within 10km unless you want to be eaten by gun fire. Also engage destroyers between 6 and 10km, sweet spot is about 8km for me but the ideal range will depend on your ability to shoot and their ability to dodge and your ability to dodge as well. You need to deal more damage to them than they can to you, figure out the best range for this, and every battle is different.

Safety #3 for short range torpedo boats. Do not rely on your torpedoes, use them but do not rely on them!

Pretend every fight is a gunfight, but use torpedoes for ambushes in the Farragut and to help you in destroyer knife fights. A ship that runs away has a good chance of torping a pursuing destroyer.

I did play a risky strategy in my game there where I smoked and then fired my guns to bait an enemy cruiser to come into my smoke screen. I only did this at the end when it was down to a 3 on 3 fight and if I didn't sink a 2/3rds health cruiser I would sink. Also I did not follow the torpedo marker, I used it as a guide and estimated based on the turn arc and yeah, got a hit and won the game.

Just some tips. I gotta go!

[WOLF9]
Members
168 posts
4,960 battles

How di I play Farragut? I follow the basic rules of destroyer battling.

Safety #1 Never fight another destroyer while solo. Especially not early on!

Because you know you do not have backup and they may have a sneaky destroyer backing them up that you do not see. Only fight when you have support, or if the risk is worth it. Fighting in the first 5 minutes without support is a bad idea.

Safety #2 Determine your ideal range to fight!

The Farragut is a interesting ship with her high arcs. I would say she could engage a Battleship at maximum range, a cruiser at 10km to maximum. Do not get within 10km unless you want to be eaten by gun fire. Also engage destroyers between 6 and 10km, sweet spot is about 8km for me but the ideal range will depend on your ability to shoot and their ability to dodge and your ability to dodge as well. You need to deal more damage to them than they can to you, figure out the best range for this, and every battle is different.

Safety #3 for short range torpedo boats. Do not rely on your torpedoes, use them but do not rely on them!

Pretend every fight is a gunfight, but use torpedoes for ambushes in the Farragut and to help you in destroyer knife fights. A ship that runs away has a good chance of torping a pursuing destroyer.

I did play a risky strategy in my game there where I smoked and then fired my guns to bait an enemy cruiser to come into my smoke screen. I only did this at the end when it was down to a 3 on 3 fight and if I didn't sink a 2/3rds health cruiser I would sink. Also I did not follow the torpedo marker, I used it as a guide and estimated based on the turn arc and yeah, got a hit and won the game.

Just some tips. I gotta go!

​great tips thank you. I do tend to rush in and because of that there is little support need to be more patient but hard to do when everyone just seems to hang back.  

Members
1,482 posts
2,386 battles

Yeah the Farragut is pretty awsome.  I just bought it today after not using it for about half a year.  Now I remember why I loved it so much better over the Mahan: Invisi firing built in!

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

I just recently got the Farragut and wow, what a beauty Destroyer! The torps get right out into the sweet spot when you fire on someone closing at 8km out, the RoF is great, especially if you've got the hang of the arcs. Get those guns dialed in on a target and it's Atlanta Lite.  Invisifire ready starting at 11.1km out, very nimble with that 2.1 second rudder shift and relatively short 560m radius.

I have really taken to the American Destroyers after trying them last of the 3 current lines in game. I was troubled at how situational Japanese Destroyers felt once you start the Mutsuki grind and bailed. Once I left that stream, I went over to the Russians and started up that Destroyer group. I liked the guns and felt as though I was making a greater contribution overall, but I disliked that I felt handcuffed by the rotation speed of the guns and suicidal torps that only seemed to get worse as you progressed, not better! I've hit Kiev, have been enjoying it but needed a break from T7 so I figured I'd try USN a couple weeks ago.

US DD is the boat for all occasions IMO. They probably fit my playstyle best of the 3, but it's felt like each ship in the line has been a better boat than the last. I don't fear meeting a ship in the cap, knife fighting is fun when you have a ship tuned for it! Each boat is one I'm looking forward to on the way up now.

Sign in to follow this