You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gavroche_

DD "Immunity" to large caliber shells?

13 comments in this topic

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

Not seeing it...

hdKfUrv.jpgZdQoFVh.jpg

AP mechanics are so weird in this game, why did these shelsl not overpen? RNGesus? Under waterline hit? Magic? Who really knows...?

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

AP mechanics are so weird in this game, why did these shelsl not overpen? RNGesus? Under waterline hit? Magic? Who really knows...?

It's totally player skill.

120% planned it all out.

I aimed at the place and the stuff happened.

Members
997 posts
2,054 battles

I heard if you hit where the citadel should, you'll get a pen instead of an over pen. 

or

RNG

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

more immune than this:

ZTu8wVL.jpg

underwater hits and lengthwise hits give the shell time to detonate

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
341 posts
4,798 battles

Just be glad that DD's don't have citadels like they used to during CBT. It was hilarious watching a full division of destroyers trying to charge a cruiser back then.

Edit: Damn it Tedster, you beat me to it.

Edited by How_Terrible

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Pls. They obviously didn't overpen because the shells went straight from bow to stern :teethhappy: 

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,171 battles
 Could just be hitting them through the citadel spot on normal ships and getting the average pen damage. I know they were talking about upping over pen damage to 25-50% but this might be a change instead. I've gotten some decent waterline hits in the Texas too.

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,689 battles

more immune than this:

underwater hits and lengthwise hits give the shell time to detonate

Wait a sec... is this true?  Should BB's (or maybe even CA's who have AP loaded) try to be aiming a smidge short (vertically speaking) to try to get shots to hit the water just short of the DD (assuming you're taking a side shot, not a bow or stern shot)?

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

They didn't overpen because they went through his bow to his stern. 
Edited by Pulicat

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

Wait a sec... is this true?  Should BB's (or maybe even CA's who have AP loaded) try to be aiming a smidge short (vertically speaking) to try to get shots to hit the water just short of the DD (assuming you're taking a side shot, not a bow or stern shot)?

yes, it is.  shells that detonate in the engine room still do lots of damage.  the 2nd screenshot OP posted is a perfect example.  12342/3 = 4114 per shell average, far more than the 1310 overpen damage a north carolina's AP round has.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

The difference between an over pen and a normal pen is that an over pen does not detonate inside the ship hitbox. Since AP shells have time delay fuzes, if you fire the shell in a way that gives it more time to fuse like hitting the water first or lengthwise down the DD the shell has enough time to detonate before it leaves the hitbox of the ship. 

Members
1,228 posts
6,330 battles

I watched a Blys bounce AP rounds from a shiny new Indianapolis today. Was surreal. Still not convinced it wasn't a desync or something.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Just be glad that DD's don't have citadels like they used to during CBT. It was hilarious watching a full division of destroyers trying to charge a cruiser back then.

Edit: Damn it Tedster, you beat me to it.

That's one of the secret of how the likes of St. Louis and Cleveland reigned supreme...DD had citadels, and BB armors didn't work as intended...