You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TurboT

HE SHELLS ARE NOT PERFORMING THE SAME AS PRE PATCH 5.6

20 comments in this topic

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,848 battles

I thought when patch 5.6 came out I was just crazy, or hitting some bad RNG, or didn't know how to shoot.  Often I found I was shooting HE at angled battle ships in cruisers and finding I was getting a lot of module damage (0 HP) or just plain nothing happening when they landed. 

I just had a very curious game in the Fletcher.  Note screenshot behind spoiler:

shot-16.06.01_15.47.22-0899_zpsn10ko0od.

How is it possible to get 8 damage per shell?  I landed 148 hits for 8 dmg per hit!!  

If you add the fire damage that is 50 damage per hit.

Please note, this is a TIER 9 DESTROYER.  It can't possibly in the name of any resemblance of reasonable expectation of fair game play to have such anemic guns. 

While this was one of those lopsided affairs (for my team) and the game ended fairly early before I could do much, I would expect my shells would do more damage than that.

I can't tell you the amount of times my shells landed on their targets for just nothing, 0 damage, 0 module damage, just a notated 'hit' ... this on an Izumo who I started shooting at from full health, so I can't possibly have removed all his HP pool from that area yet. 

Additionally, the CV was also full health when the baltimore beside me and I started shooting him.

Surely, I cannot be the only one noticing this nice ninja nerf to HE shells that was implemented and somehow I missed it in the patch notes!!

[WNNR]
[WNNR]
Members
486 posts
21,537 battles

I agree that the HE is not performing like it did pre-patch, but unless you are part of the Violin club ( CA, CL, BB), WG slacks it thirst on your tears.

"ALL HAIL the CA OVERLORDS"

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Damage saturation? Hitting the armor belt?

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,848 battles

Damage saturation? Hitting the armor belt?

This is the Fletcher.. I can't hit the armor belt unless I'm 5 km away.

This was plunging HE fire, coming straight down from 10.5 km (invisy fire range). The Izumo especially was maddening.. it was landing all over his Mast/Pagota.   Playing the Izumo myself that thing lights on fire for me all the damn time.

The Taiho was different. I understand it has an armored flight deck, and hard to not hit that with the rain shells from USN guns, but still.. the guy was at 11 HP for like 2 minutes of my shells landing on him doing NO DAMAGE.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Atago working as usual.

Still have yet to fire an AP shell in a month...

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,848 battles

Didn't notice any change on my cruisers, maybe this supposed change was only for very low caliber destroyer shells?

Be nice if that was announced as such.. or its a bug.. no idea.. but I was getting fairly angry watching that 11 HP Taiho NOT DIE.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Be nice if that was announced as such.. or its a bug.. no idea.. but I was getting fairly angry watching that 11 HP Taiho NOT DIE.

Implying it was changed, yes. I haven't played my Benson in a month, might take it out for a spin and see for myself in a bit

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

Happens to me all the time. I can spam HE at a Yammy and unless I hit unsaturated parts, I'm looking at a  long game of "start a BB-que" in my Gearing

Edited by 10T0nHammer

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Use AP, hit the upper super structure. Hell was pinging a NM for 1500 per broadside in my Blys doing that.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,306 battles

I haven't had this problem in Gearing, but will check again.  My HE shells were hitting for ~256 or whatever it is they do normally the other night.

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

Taiho is similar to Fuso in that it has very little to shoot at for HE damage. You're pretty much limited to the island superstructure and possibly the rows of AA guns along the sides of the deck, which are pretty hard to hit accurately.

Members
897 posts
7,381 battles

For me it is pretty random. I had two games recently one with my Tashkent and I did like 25k, only 8k from guns the rest was fire damage, but I hit with like 281 rounds. Very next game in my Fletcher I hit with 168 rounds had 1 fire for like 700 dmg but the guns did like 38k. I have kinda come to accept that on small DD guns that HE is very very random on the damage I do from one game to the next.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,848 battles

It's a taiho, it laughs at your s*it [edited]127mm american HE. git gud.

Thank you for your enlightening response. 

My day is complete.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

Happened to me in my Fletcher before the patch . Silly me not paying attention while dodging torps did not see I was doing 0 damage until almost 50 hits at medium to close range . And just before the end of the battle switched to AP and finally did some damage .

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I thought when patch 5.6 came out I was just crazy, or hitting some bad RNG, or didn't know how to shoot.  Often I found I was shooting HE at angled battle ships in cruisers and finding I was getting a lot of module damage (0 HP) or just plain nothing happening when they landed. 

I just had a very curious game in the Fletcher.  Note screenshot behind spoiler:

shot-16.06.01_15.47.22-0899_zpsn10ko0od.

How is it possible to get 8 damage per shell?  I landed 148 hits for 8 dmg per hit!!  

If you add the fire damage that is 50 damage per hit.

Please note, this is a TIER 9 DESTROYER.  It can't possibly in the name of any resemblance of reasonable expectation of fair game play to have such anemic guns. 

While this was one of those lopsided affairs (for my team) and the game ended fairly early before I could do much, I would expect my shells would do more damage than that.

I can't tell you the amount of times my shells landed on their targets for just nothing, 0 damage, 0 module damage, just a notated 'hit' ... this on an Izumo who I started shooting at from full health, so I can't possibly have removed all his HP pool from that area yet. 

Additionally, the CV was also full health when the baltimore beside me and I started shooting him.

Surely, I cannot be the only one noticing this nice ninja nerf to HE shells that was implemented and somehow I missed it in the patch notes!!

I had a game a few nights ago, where I hit a BB over 20 times with my Schors while he sat at 55 hps and someone else killed it.  I'm not ready to say there's been any kind of ninja nerf though, 0 damage HE hits are really nothing new, I've seen them a lot.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,848 battles

I had a game a few nights ago, where I hit a BB over 20 times with my Schors while he sat at 55 hps and someone else killed it.  I'm not ready to say there's been any kind of ninja nerf though, 0 damage HE hits are really nothing new, I've seen them a lot.

Honestly.... I've never seen them AS MUCH as since the patch.

HE was always something I shot when I didn't think I'd get a pen on something.   It was the not going to do 12k but going to give me something salvo.  Seeing shot after shot of HE doing nothing is discouraging.

I remember in the early days of WoT, HE was a reliable shell spam.  Would always do something.   Then suddenly it was nerfed into uselessness, and shortly there after, 'premium rounds' were there..

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,306 battles

Forgot to report back: I had no issues lighting crap on fire and making capital ships cry with HE spam in Gearing.  I'm not sure what you're seeing here.  

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Happens to me all the time. I can spam HE at a Yammy and unless I hit unsaturated parts, I'm looking at a  long game of "start a BB-que" in my Gearing

Hhhm, since I bought the Texas and Moltov, I have laid off playing my Benny for awhile, only here and there. I'll play it a bit today and see if I can get the same results.