You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

Furutaka As She Is Now

44 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

I absolutely love the new Furutaka. I purposely took time away from my Amagi grind to buy Furutaka back.

YTJOdRd.jpg

Seriously, she's a beautiful cruiser now too. Those 6x1 turrets were awkward to work with but she's a WHOLE different ship now. I actually boxed with an NY in my first match and lost only 10k HP while I was pealing away his. By the time I lost 10k HP, I already had him to half with an earlier launched torp salvo also on it's way to greet him. Had we not capped, we would've won that match and I would've gotten my first kill in Furutaka in a long time haha (Damn scrubs kept on taking the kills. Even the Murmansk was killed while I worked his HP down.)

Here's the screenshots of my first battle:

uMW9Sro.jpg

0oxD4ue.jpg

KKVU301.jpg

JvZ6oBk.jpg

Love bow on fighting in this thing. She's probably one of few CA/CL that could box with the bigger guys, and I just missed doing that, did it to great effect in her WAY back before even the turret traverse and gun reload buff for her lol. But right now, she's a totally new ball game and now I can use that toughness as a bigger offense and can afford to get a little aggressive with her in Tier 6 and 5 games. When facing Tier 7 it's the same though, stay back, fire HE and AP until late game, then go in for aggression.

ZUs1qtU.jpg

Furutaka is just... damn. I won't be selling her again haha

~Hunter

• Cool 1

Members
295 posts
8,330 battles

I'll buy back the Fury Taco at some point, when I have credits, probably after buying the Izumo and Fubuki I'll have researched real soon

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles

there's a giant girl stuck on the side of your ship. :)

Simply camo, ignore the artwork.... 

[HAIFU]
-Members-
702 posts
7,365 battles

Furutaka with atago guns = Love XD

No but seriously, she feels and looks so much nice now.  If only someone could make a rust free historical skin like the one Tanz used to make

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

In the same boat she cost a lot more than I expected, her new guns (I looked at it in game) are the same on the Mogami, Atago, and Ibuki with a few changes for T5 balance and it being a different ship

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

I kept mine, because I did end up liking it by the end of the grind.  Now, as others have said- it's a whole new ballgame!  I love it!

As an added bonus, it'll prepare players a lot better for the Aoba.  At tier 6, learning a whole new way to play can be a bit of a harsh lesson, lol.   I'm considering playing just this for a while, before going back to work on the Aoba- I like that one a lot, but find myself dying in pathetic ways too often for my taste as I adjust my playing style!

Post changes, Furry Taco is definitely a keeper for me.  I added it to my list of primary ships, so it's right near the top of the list when I log on.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,086 posts
30,857 battles

That's one of the nice things with the IJN Cruiser line.  Once you get to Tier V, the skills you learn carry through the line without jarring "WTFisThisShip" kind of moments like the awful USN Cruiser line.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Now if only they gave Furutaka onwards the Type 93 torpedoes with 15km range...

Scaled per tier in damage, spotted radius, and reload rates.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

XD I just left her as the news of this hull broke, so I'm the fool.

However, I loved her in her 6x1 anyways, even if it was...

Challenging.

XD

I'm glad to see she got the upgrade. It will definitely help people moving into Aoba.

[CVA16]
Members
8,856 posts
27,007 battles

You all realize with everyone singing the praises of the "new" ship, they will nerf her to hell in the next update.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

You all realize with everyone singing the praises of the "new" ship, they will nerf her to hell in the next update.

Don't care. Finally got the XP for the Aoba. Don't like her as much as the new Furutaka though. Seems she's designed like the German CLs, fighting while running away.

[DNGR]
Members
491 posts
20,027 battles

The Furry Taco is so much better... 

That's one of the nice things with the IJN Cruiser line.  Once you get to Tier V, the skills you learn carry through the line without jarring "WTFisThisShip" kind of moments like the awful USN Cruiser line.

In the PT I tried out the USN cruiser line, I LOVED IT... Therefore, I disagree with this statement.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,086 posts
30,857 battles

The Furry Taco is so much better... 

In the PT I tried out the USN cruiser line, I LOVED IT... Therefore, I disagree with this statement.

How much of the USN Cruiser line did you try?  There are jarring gameplay jumps in the USN Cruiser line where the previous ship did no prepare you for, and throws you ships that are nothing at all like the previous one.

Tier VI Cleveland -> Tier VII Pensacola:  The very safe hull of Cleveland and CL gun spam of Cleveland does not prepare you at all for CA gun cruiser play.  If anything, very bad habits are built up in Cleveland which gets magnified in paper-armored Pensacola.  The move from CL gun spam Cleveland to slower ROF CA gun play at Pensacola is markedly different.  Cleveland doesn't prepare you at all for subsequent USN Cruisers

Tier VII-IX is fairly consistent.  That doesn't mean they don't have serious issues, but that's another series of topics.

Tier IX Baltimore -> Tier X Des Moines:  Pensacola, NOLA, Baltimore's guns are consistent in their behavior.  Their protection is adequate for their tiers (in high tiers, Cruiser armor is irrelevant).  However, Des Moine's guns are jarringly different.  Yes, she has lethal AP.  Yes, she has easily the fastest firing CA-grade guns in the game.  Her gun range is serviceable, long ranged even if you pick the upgrade to increase main gun range.  The problem lies in Des Moine's awful shell arcs and shell hang times.  They are Tier VII Premium Atlanta bad.  Intermediate and long ranged gunnery against targets that aren't a huge, slow Battleship are a problem.  Des Moine's effective range is ONLY in short ranges.  Tiers VII-IX give you a style of play of a certain way, then DM's s--t shell arcs and hang times throw you another vastly different way of play.  DM is closer related to Premium Tier VII Atlanta than the standard USN Cruisers in the tech tree of Tiers VI-IX.

0 posts

She is lovely with those new turrets, they make her much more easily played by the general community, and considerably more enjoyable to play on the battlefield. 

[PSV]
Alpha Tester
73 posts
7,255 battles

Hey man, Furutaka has been a good ship ever since the first traverse buff. The only thing i really like about the new taco is the quad torpedo launcher. idk, i think the new turrets are a lot more fragile. 

In any case, The play style of the Taco just clicked with me. She plays like a smaller, nimble (though more fragile) battle ship, perhaps like the amagi. She can tank damage bow on, but turn broad side and rip you. Then there is her guns. oh her guns xD In a way, she is the kinda like the is8/T10 of warships. A glass cannon, but with just enough armor in the right places to be useful in a pinch. 

Some games in the old Taco. 

8 kills in the taco.

7 kills and how to take on battle ships. 

Me sitting (not so) humbly as the Top NA Taco

0vMs8YO.png

Edited by Warhawk_97

Members
4 posts
376 battles

Just got it last weekend, still making my hand with it. Stock ship still so... Got to inflict pain and die some more.

Nice to see that a ship you're grinding is good - it gives an idea that in case of bad results, it's not the ship's fault. =)

Members
604 posts
8,367 battles

Now if only they gave Furutaka onwards the Type 93 torpedoes with 15km range...

Scaled per tier in damage, spotted radius, and reload rates.

Even the Myoko, Mogami and Atago don't have type 93 torpedoes in game........there is no way they gonna put type 93 on the taco lol

(I do hope Mogami and Atago get type 93 with 12 or even 15 km range ^^)

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Even the Myoko, Mogami and Atago don't have type 93 torpedoes in game........there is no way they gonna put type 93 on the taco lol

Give them Fubuki's 15k torps. Problem solved. 

~Hunter

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

She's a keeper, definitely.  Only thing I don't like about her is the lack of range, but at the same time it does help those of us (like me) who might be slightly "aim challenged"

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

I know, that's why I said Furutaka onwards.  Would be nice if they all got Type 93s as optional alternate equipment, at least variations scaled for gameplay purposes (so that we don't quite have Tier 10 Type 93s at T5), with different spotted ranges, speeds, damage levels, and reload times.

Alternatively, an IJN cruiser-exclusive Type 93 Consumable (now that it's possible with the upcoming 5.7 patch), for all IJN cruisers starting at T5 which temporarily makes all torpedoes long lances in range, but they retain the same damage, speed, and spotted radius as the torpedoes they replace, and has the penalty of extending reload CD to 2 minutes.  Can be affected by Torpedo Acceleration and Torpedo reload reduction skills and abilities.  Permits 2 volleys before consumable ends, with a duration time of 2:05 minutes.  Replaces Hydro/AADF on IJN cruisers.  5 minute CD (Normal) and 3 minute CD (Premium).  Since AA should be more of the USN's thing, torpedoes should be the IJN's.

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Unlocked (and purchased) it before I left some months back, just returned  and I must say- it's a lot nicer looking.

Question from a complete newb though- how do you determine which ammo to fire at which target?

I use AP vs cruisers- but what about cruisers like St Louis? Or Other lightly armored ones? I use AP vs T5 BB's sides, but is HE better vs the T6 and up ones?

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Unlocked (and purchased) it before I left some months back, just returned  and I must say- it's a lot nicer looking.

Question from a complete newb though- how do you determine which ammo to fire at which target?

I use AP vs cruisers- but what about cruisers like St Louis? Or Other lightly armored ones? I use AP vs T5 BB's sides, but is HE better vs the T6 and up ones?

AP on St.Lo at 11km and below, HE when it is angled. AP vs any BB below 8km, HE definitely on a BB the moment your AP does nothing. (don't forget to pre-select a shell type for switching so you won't have to wait for a full reload cycle, game will just automatically switch to HE before reloading the new shells.) 

HE on all carriers and DDs though, those fires keep DDs spotted longer and carriers from launching flight wings. 

Mostly spam HE at BBs though until either a soft cruiser or a close range broadside BB presents themselves. 

That should help. 

~Hunter

• Cool 1