Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VTAdmiral

Ideas for national consumables

39 comments in this topic

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I'm going to compile concepts for consumables that can be either limited to a particular nation or more powerful when used by a particular nation.

Each of these consumables goes into the same slot as the repair party on cruisers, or the catapult plane on battleships. I will not be doing custom consumables for destroyers or carriers-- Only cruisers and battleships are considered for these ideas.

On with the show!

UNITED STATES NAVY

Cue-Balling (Cruisers)

The best idea I've seen batted around for USN cruisers is "Cue-balling", the act of pushing the ram in quickly to knock the shell into position without extending the ram completely, so it takes less time to retract. Basically, using the ram as a pool cue. USN cruiser guns were actually designed with this in mind, the reloader rams were really solid and durable.

I propose this consumable become available at Pensacola, all the way up to Des Moines. As it occupies the same slot as the Repair Party, Baltimore and Des Moines are unlikely to pick it, but will still have the option. This is a direct buff to Pensacola and New Orleans (and Indianapolis and Atlanta, I guess, though Atlanta hardly needs more ROF).

When activated, the Cue-Ball consumable boosts rate of fire by a percentage, for a certain amount of time. This means that fast-reloading ships like Atlanta get little out of it while slow-reloading cruisers like Pensa and NO get more of a benefit. Once again, making it the less attractive choice for DM, who already has a good rate of fire.

This has been batted around before and I feel like it's a good enough idea that I wanted to bring it up again.

Radar Guidance (Battleships)

For USN Battleships tiers 7 and up, I propose a consumable that reduces their dispersion and increases accuracy for long enough to account for 2-3 reloads. It should reduce the dispersion by a percentage, where it feels like the shells are going just where you want them. The cooldown will have to balance this so it doesn't become too overpowering, much like radar.

Imperial Japanese Navy

Type 3 Shell (Cruisers & Battleships)

Spare me the history I already know it was historically a badly implemented idea, this is for a game not rooted in reality.

Type 3 shell deals no damage to surface targets.

Can only be used when at least 1/3 of the ship's guns are reloaded. Capability of the ability improves if more guns are fully loaded when it is used

Requires 2 presses of the activation key to use:

--> On first press pulls camera to a top-down view and allows the player to select an area around the ship. There is a minimum range of at least 5km (varies by ship), so it can't be dropped right on top of you

--> Second press (or mouse click) activates the skill. All loaded guns are unloaded/forced to reload. Projectiles fly from the turrets to the target zone and, upon reaching it, explode into cones of shrapnel that spread out from the initial detonation point

ALL aircraft (friendly and not) caught in the burst are subject to heavy damage, akin to a fighter strafe

ALL ships beneath the cone are not damaged, but may be set on fire 1-4 times (depending on how many shrapnel effects pass over them)

Each shell fired explodes into 1 shrapnel cone (20.3cm), 2 shrapnel cones (35.1cm, 41cm), or 3 shrapnel cones (18 inch). Number of projectiles fired directly corresponds to the number of guns that were ready when the skill was used. For example Yamato with 1 gun ready to shoot a surface target will fire 3 projectiles (or 9 cones once they burst), while a Yamato with all 3 turrets ready will fire 9 projectiles (27 blast cones)

(Alternatively, a Zao who uses the ability will hit with 15 blast cones with all guns reloaded, but on a much shorter reload)

Power of shell vs air targets is determined by ship tier, but should be equivalent to 1/4th to 1/3rd of a same-tier carrier's fighter strafe, per cone. Due to dispersion, cones will scatter a bit, with overlapping zones. Width and length of cones can be adjusted for balance and should also depend on tier and gun caliber.

Anti-air ability on a long cooldown, does not panic planes but may cause significant damage. May also be useful vs surface targets. Standard shell travel time. Forces a choice between shooting a Type 3 barrage or continuing to attack current surface targets, and the type 3 can still be juked.

Possible RNG chance of disabling a turret (temporarily) on the ship using the ability when fired?

The Royal Navy

Give Them What For (Battleships)

Available to all battleships tier 7 and up, select either the catapult plane or Give Them What For.

Also goes on Warspite. Because it deserves this.

Analogous to Defensive Fire but affects Secondary Armaments, not Anti-Air armaments.

Increases the rate of fire and reduces the dispersion of secondary guns for 30-40 seconds.

As I suspect RN flavor will be brutal secondary guns and slow-traversing main guns, this feels very appropriate to me.

Cruisers

No ideas, currently! Discuss below.

Der Kriegsmarine

The Soviet People's Navy

The Regina Marina

The Marina Militare

• Cool 3

[W-G]
Beta Testers
626 posts
7,445 battles

I'd really........................reaaaally like to not see nation specific crud on this game.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I'd really........................reaaaally like to not see nation specific crud on this game.

we already have it with nation-specific radars, USN and Red Navy are the only lines that have Search Radar.
Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo
  • Cool 1

Members
295 posts
8,330 battles

There are some interesting ideas for sure out there, one thing, that only nation specific (to one nation) has to be the IJN's Torpedo Reload Booster, (shouldn't the Myokou, Atago, Mogami, Ibuki and Zao have them too?), but not many (excluding me) use it instead of smoke. 

EDIT: Apparently from waiting and watching, the Torpedo Reload Booster Doesn't exist any more (lolz, does it need a buff?)

Edited by supercontroller9

Beta Testers
15,669 posts
4,714 battles

we already have it with nation-specific radars, USN and Red Navy are the only lines that have Search Radar.

Und for a time German Hydro was basically a national consumable. I know it was far superior to other nations at least.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Und for a time German Hydro was basically a national consumable. I know it was far superior to other nations at least.

It still is far superior to other nations.

Also this isn't specifically "Only this nation gets it" but may also be implemented as "all nations get it but this nation's is better than theirs".

Take for instance, "Give Them What For" for RN. USN and IJN and Kriegsmarine could get it, but the reload and accuracy bonuses would be less than the same skill used on Royal Navy battleships.

Members
295 posts
8,330 battles

Kamikaze planes for the IJN CV's

The first events in which a IJN Air Core plane rammed into ships (or tried too) was back in ?Eastern Solomons, Battle of? it was because their plane was shoot down (or going down) so they tried to go out in a blaze of glory, so logically, we have two was of implementing things, 1) replace strike aircraft with Kamaikazes or 2) when a consumable is activated, any shot down plane that goes down within Xm of ship does Y damage to it based off of Z the ship's AA

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

61030929.jpg

good retort its almost like you are 12 and cant post an actual response to why you disagree with it just like half the [edited]trolls on these forums. Kamikaze planes would take away from hangar stores so most likely would only be used as a last resort against destroyers yolo charging them or if they only have fighters left

Edited by RockaholicRaven

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

So the cue balling consumable, it only effected 8" guns historically so probably not applicable to the Atlanta and the Pepsi and NO dont have the third consumable slot so how do they use it instead of the repair ability? 

Plus its not really a buff for the Baltimore if it has to give up extra HP to a decent ROF. 

Kamikaze planes for the IJN CV's

Kamikaze strikes never launched from CVs, they were all land based. 

Edited by 1nv4d3rZ1m

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

The first events in which a IJN Air Core plane rammed into ships (or tried too) was back in ?Eastern Solomons, Battle of? it was because their plane was shoot down (or going down) so they tried to go out in a blaze of glory, so logically, we have two was of implementing things, 1) replace strike aircraft with Kamaikazes or 2) when a consumable is activated, any shot down plane that goes down within Xm of ship does Y damage to it based off of Z the ship's AA

i would say it would be a selection system quite like manual drops but it would require you to select the squadron you wish to become the kamikaze squad. Then hit the consumable button with them selected, then select the target you wished them to attack. once the target is select there is no going back the consumable is used and the planes begin their suicide mission until all shot down or till they hit their intended target.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

So the cue balling consumable, it only effected 8" guns historically so probably not applicable to the Atlanta and the Pepsi and NO dont have the third consumable slot so how do they use it instead of the repair ability? 

Plus its not really a buff for the Baltimore if it has to give up extra HP to a decent ROF. 

It'd add the third consumable slot for NO and Pensacola, they just can't pick anything but Cueball in that slot. Similar to how cruisers at T4 get Hydro, which later on in T6 can be switched out for DF or continue to use Hydro. Most pick Defensive Fire at that point.

Restricting it to 8 inch guns only is fine with me.

My goal was to buff Pensacola and New Orleans. it's a sidegrade for Baltimore and DM, at best. But you can hardly call it a nerf to them. the point was to produce a choice for higher tier cruisers who already have good ROF. Have CRAZY ROF or health regen. Most will pick health regen, I understand this already.

Members
295 posts
8,330 battles

There are some interesting ideas for sure out there, one thing, that only nation specific (to one nation) has to be the IJN's Torpedo Reload Booster, (shouldn't the Myokou, Atago, Mogami, Ibuki and Zao have them too?), but not many (excluding me) use it instead of smoke. 

EDIT: Apparently from waiting and watching, the Torpedo Reload Booster Doesn't exist any more (lolz, does it need a buff?)

so YES people have forgotten the Torpedo Reload Booster (for IJN DDs only) 

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

Kamikaze strikes never launched from CVs, they were all land based. 

Didn't OP post that this is a game and we dont care about real life?

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

It'd add the third consumable slot for NO and Pensacola, they just can't pick anything but Cueball in that slot. Similar to how cruisers at T4 get Hydro, which later on in T6 can be switched out for DF or continue to use Hydro. Most pick Defensive Fire at that point.

Restricting it to 8 inch guns only is fine with me.

My goal was to buff Pensacola and New Orleans. it's a sidegrade for Baltimore and DM, at best. But you can hardly call it a nerf to them. the point was to produce a choice for higher tier cruisers who already have good ROF. Have CRAZY ROF or health regen. Most will pick health regen, I understand this already.

Maybe add cue balling to the same slot as panic, the Baltimore does not really have a good ROF and it already has to make lots of hard choices when building it. Plus Cue balling is a similar skill to panic i.e. it increases the effectiveness of a set of weapons for a short period of time. 

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Didn't OP post that this is a game and we dont care about real life?

good retort its almost like you are 12 and cant post an actual response

If we dont care about real life why suggest Kamikaze? Why not go for wave cannons or phasers? 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,907 battles

I'm the antithesis of USMarine, I'm fairly keen on it although I think once you reach a saturation point of nations and lines its hard to achieve, and it will always be a balancing issue.

I like both the USN options, I think cue-ball vs. repair party would mean as you say that DM/Baltimore don't go for it, so it's less of an improvement to Baltimore than the others, and Baltimore really is a problem.

I like the USN BB option, but might suggest that the BB has to lock onto a target - like focusing secondaries but main battery - and the dispersion buff only apply against that ship? I don't know how that would be modelled in-game.

For the RN as a cruiser selection I'd like to see something suggestive of seamanship and experience (although this is not necessarily the case, all WWII navies were pretty professional and variably experienced. In game I'd be interested to see a consumable improving rudder shift and turning radius to suggest a captain's trick somehow reading the sea and using a combination of rudders/engines. Would be useful if you saw torpedoes or if you find you have to turn away from a BB - less time in citadel city side-on.

RN BB selection - I'm not sure if all RN BB will have overwhelming secondaries. Some will be solid, especially at lower tiers but the Nelson's won't be overpowered there, and neither will the KGV's/Vanguards.

No good ideas for the other nations.

Members
3,067 posts
2,554 battles

Hydro. German ships have the best performance on hydrostatic search.

USN Cruisers get +1 more charge on Defensive Fire.

[WAP]
Beta Testers
797 posts
10,513 battles

If we dont care about real life why suggest Kamikaze? Why not go for wave cannons or phasers? 

while kamikaze planes may not have been intentionally launched from aircraft carriers they did exist in real life. A note to that, carrier based aircraft absolutely did make kamikaze attempts both IJN and USN while not launched with the initial mission of being a kamikaze. You jumping to phasers or wave cannons in comparison to my idea is a bit laughable

I would also like to note that the "Radar/sonar" they have added to the game is in no way realistic to the actual function of radar/sonar in real life i hate to break it to people but radar/sonar in real life 100% can not go through solid mass IE. Islands, Or a large ship that a smaller ship is hiding behind.

Sonar is simply making use of an echo. When an animal or machine makes a noise, it sends sound waves into the environment around it. Those waves bounce off nearby objects, and some of them reflect back to the object that made the noise. (notice that doesn't say waves continue through solid mass once hit it says they bounce back to what ever sent them initially on first contact with solid mass)

Radar a system for detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft, ships, and other objects, by sending out pulses of high-frequency electromagnetic waves that are reflected off the object back to the source. (""   "")

Edited by RockaholicRaven

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Maybe add cue balling to the same slot as panic, the Baltimore does not really have a good ROF and it already has to make lots of hard choices when building it. Plus Cue balling is a similar skill to panic i.e. it increases the effectiveness of a set of weapons for a short period of time. 

Nobody would pick cueballing over defensive fire on any cruiser, so this is pointless. It would be like Hydro, except there's no tiers where you have no options other than it to use in that slot so you never even have a chance to try it out.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

good retort its almost like you are 12 and cant post an actual response to why you disagree with it just like half the [edited]trolls on these forums. Kamikaze planes would take away from hangar stores so most likely would only be used as a last resort against destroyers yolo charging them or if they only have fighters left

Wow it's almost like you couldn't read the first paragraph

I'm going to compile concepts for consumables that can be either limited to a particular nation or more powerful when used by a particular nation.

Each of these consumables goes into the same slot as the repair party on cruisers, or the catapult plane on battleships. I will not be doing custom consumables for destroyers or carriers-- Only cruisers and battleships are considered for these ideas.

And also kamikaze attacks is highly offensive, disrespectful, and simply in bad taste. WG has said several times in official statements that they will not do it. This is literally worse than asking for submarines. You're asking to weaponize suicide and you're getting all huffy when I decline to entertain the idea.

What the hell is wrong with you?

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

Nobody would pick cueballing over defensive fire on any cruiser, so this is pointless. It would be like Hydro, except there's no tiers where you have no options other than it to use in that slot so you never even have a chance to try it out.

I would 100% take higher RoF over defensive fire. I already take sonar on every single one of my cruisers. Something like cueballing will be effective in 100% of matches, while defensive fire is decent only in matches that have CVs, and even then as a one or two time thing assuming the CV doesn't just avoid you.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I would 100% take higher RoF over defensive fire. I already take sonar on every single one of my cruisers. Something like cueballing will be effective in 100% of matches, while defensive fire is decent only in matches that have CVs, and even then as a one or two time thing assuming the CV doesn't just avoid you.

And under my idea you could build for DD hunting by loading Hydro and Cueballing. You just have to sacrifice the Repair Team to do it on Baltimore and Des Moines.

Under Zim's, you can't. You have to pick between Hydro, Defensive Fire, or Cueball.

As a side note I realize Baltimore needs help but this isn't the answer. The ship's performance characteristics need tweaking. A simple consumable isn't going to fix a fundamentally broken ship.

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

And under my idea you could build for DD hunting by loading Hydro and Cueballing.

Under Zim's, you can't. You have to pick between Hydro, Defensive Fire, or Cueball.

You can take both cueballing and RADAR on USN CAs while still having heal, which is possibly the biggest strength of being a T9 cruiser. I'm perfectly willing to make the trade of hydro for being able to get more shots off on a DD during RADAR's active duration. Giving up heal is absolutely stupid, it's one of the main reasons why high tier cruisers are still competitive despite the massive power spike BBs get.

Sign in to follow this