You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TinMan_47

Noobs & Cruisers

26 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
41 battles

Ok, I've played the game for a few hours, I think my personal rating is a 4.  Just curious what a noob should get attached to while learning the game. I'm thinking the cruisers are a kind of jack of all trades and not to complicated to operate. True or no?

I picked up a destroyer and was a bit overwhelmed with the all the battle options available. I don't think I'm anywhere ready for that.

Also, as in WoT, would tier 5 or 6 here be a good place to hang out if you're a mediocre player?

Just trying to get a feel for this game and not sure where to aim.

Thanks for any input  :)

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Japanese cruisers are the safest bet for a new player to learn the ropes at this time, and this line has the benefit of being one of the strongest ship lines in the game come high tiers. It's a win-win.

I would recommend US cruisers as another "training wheels" line, but it's very underpowered after tier 6, so I'll save you the disappointment.

You're absolutely right that neither destroyers nor battleships are truly beginner friendly. Carriers are a thing unto themselves, a unique playstyle that is more like a weird real-time strategy than anything else.

Cruisers aren't easy to operate, but not complicated either: think of them as medium tanks in WoT. They can perform a variety of tasks well but mostly won't excel at heavy hitting, concealment or tanking like other classes do. The complexity of gameplay scales rather well with tiers, so I wouldn't worry about where to stop just yet. You'll know when you hit a natural barrier and when you are ready to go beyond it. Most people hit one at tier 5 and another one at tier 9.

Edited by gurudennis
  • Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Ok, I've played the game for a few hours, I think my personal rating is a 4.  Just curious what a noob should get attached to while learning the game. I'm thinking the cruisers are a kind of jack of all trades and not to complicated to operate. True or no?

I picked up a destroyer and was a bit overwhelmed with the all the battle options available. I don't think I'm anywhere ready for that.

Also, as in WoT, would tier 5 or 6 here be a good place to hang out if you're a mediocre player?

Correct, tier 5 and 6 is the sweet spot where you can generally develop skills and have tough competition without feeling out of your depth. I pushed up to tiers 7-8 too fast and am still recovering from how bad my stats got because I was too stubborn to admit I needed to work on my skills a lot at lower tiers first. 

USN and IJN cruisers are pretty balanced and easy to learn up until t6. USN becomes much harder to excel in for t7-10 than IJN. German and Russian cruisers are both amazing, but tend to have a steeper learning curve, especially German. They're both glass cannon lines from t5 up, but Russian ships tend to specialize in HE spam while Germans tend to rely on AP, which rewards aiming more. So if you're going to experiment with either line in addition to IJN/USN, go Russian first, and the skills you learn playing Russian cruisers (dodging fire, positioning, etc.) will come in handy once your aiming is good enough to play German cruisers. 

Good luck! 

• Cool 1

Members
381 posts
25 battles

Agree that CL are the best option

For mediocre player. I think don't go beyond tier 8 ? You will lost credits and gameplay might not suit you. Tier 4-6 you gain most credits and some good ships.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

Members
12 posts
3,234 battles

I'm fairly new myself, and I thought fighting in tier 2 was probably a good place to learn a lot.

You get matched with either tier 1 ships or tier 3 ships.  Once you go up to tier 3-5 you get clubbed by aircraft carriers and you don't really get any good anti air defense until tier 6.

I would suggest playing some Destroyers though, getting used to how they work (and how concealment works) helps a lot.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Just try and stay alive, that's is cruiser play. Effect the battle damage wise as much as you can while doing that and you will do fine. 

Focus on DDs and either capping, defending the cap or suppressing the cap. Use terrain as defense and stay out of open water. Not shooting at stuff can be beneficial to retain concealment to maneuver for better shots. Pay attention to the mini Map.

Stay alive

• Cool 1

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

First tips for you are this:

Don't rush. 

This game can be very simple to jump into and start playing. However I have seen players with more battles than me get too far ahead of themselves and make simple, basic mistakes. 

It can also be hard to recommend a particular nation/line to main because it depends on how you prefer to play. 

Battleships are HP and armor monsters. In general, cruisers and Destroyers will struggle to do significant damage to you because most of the time, their AP will not be able to damage anything important. They can counter that with their low- medium fire chance and high rate of fire, and torpedo evasion is a form of art. Your guns are also large, usually have the best range, and your secondary guns are numerous. Be aware of over penetrations because they will happen fairly often if you spam AP. All battleships start with the repair party consumable which is a godsend ability that let's you recover portions of your damage taken. All fire/flooding HP can be recovered, most normal penetration damage can be recovered, but citadel damage will not be repairable unless you are in the Warspite iirc

Japanese(IJN)  battleships tend to be battlecruisers or fast battleships. This is a more lightly armoured battleship subclass that gives them superior movement speed. Their rudder shift is typically slow though, so they can have very wide turning radii. Their guns tend to be long range, are always the highest calibre, but their AA is pretty lacklustre

Anerican(USN) Battleships are  quite the opposite. You will see a lot of designs from the dreadnought era all the way up to tier 8. Slow, thick armor, and medium range main guns mean that you have to learn to read the mini map constantly, and adapt first to changing situations to be involved before the battle is over one way or the other. However it's not all bad. Their secondaries will outclass cruisers and often are on par with IJN in my experience, just sometimes a little lacking in range. However the best reason to go for USN is because they have really good AA for their tier from tier 5 upwards. In fact the AA almost becomes cruiser like at tier 8-10.

Cruisers are definitely the most varied bunch. Personally I don't like them. They sit somewhere in between the Destroyers and Battleships, though they become sort of a jack of all trades, master of none class. They generally have medium range, and a decent rate of fire. Their armor is good when angled mostly against other cruisers and Destroyers. They are faster than battleships, but not quite as fast as Destroyers,abd their AA is the best of all classes in general thanks to their defensive AA fire cooldown ability. Cruisers can also use hydro-acoustic search or radar(depending on nation)  to sniff it those Destroyers and torpedos, even in smoke. 

My favorite nation cruiser is German hands down. German ships have great AP, good range(almost as long as USN BB up to a point), and 6Km torps(which are great for bullying USN cruisers with) ships like the Yorck and Hipper have decent armor

I find that I can not bring myself to like American cruisers. I do not like not having torpedoes after the Omaha, their turn radius feels almost as wide as a battleship, and their guns just seem to be meh. In fire missions, people would brag about how many fires their Cleveland would set(that and the Cleveland was ludicrous in beta)  but my experience was the polar opposite. Even with a 48% hit rate with over 300 shots fired, I would struggle for double digit fires in a battle. 

I haven't played much of IJN cruisers but they seem to be well armoured flaming saki throwers. Their torps also have good range too

Russian cruisers are my least favorite. If someone would ask me to show them what a glass cannon looked like, I would show them a picture of the Bogatyr. Their citadels are high in the ship(easy to get), low armor protection, and pretty poor AP penetration for a large part of the Tech tree. I stopped at Bogatyr and only occasionally bring out my Mikhail Kutuzov 

Destroyers are an interesting breed. There's 3 trees, they are small ships, have the best concealment range, have the smallest guns, but depending on nation, the most devastating torps. 

IJN are torp boat ninjas. Best concealment of its class generally, good range torps(well except for two ships) and good speed with smoke make them able to scout out, plan and launch long range torp attacks without ever being seen in the right hands. However torpedos only go in a straight line, at one speed, and have a long reload. You have to plan ahead to use them but it is satisfying delivering the sneak attack successfully. Japanese destroyer guns are bad. They are just adequate enough to deliver crippling shots to Destroyers, and can sometimes get lucky setting fires to other classes when you are out of options. 

Russian Destroyers have the worst torpedo range, but their speed can make them very hard hitting. Russian Destroyers are also large ships with the worst camo ability, but they boast the best guns of their class. Once upon a time it was all too easy for them to just fling Molotov cocktails onto your ship deck and always keep out of view range. This is not as bad anymore

My experience with USN is that they are the middle of the road between Japan and Russia. Their gun range is barely enough to allow them to stealth fire most of the time, their guns reload fast, and their torps are just ok until tier 7.they still don't really stand out until the end tiers. 

I don't play carriers until they fix their control scheme so I will not give my opinion on them. 

Honestly though, play as many as you can, see what you enjoy playing the most and feel comfortable I'm, and start with that. 

Always be on the lookout for signs of destroyers(invisible ships shooting at you or torpedos in the water, or smoke) because if they catch you off guard, you are dead, no matter what class you play. 

And keep an eye on that minimap. Learn to read enemy movements when your team scouts them and if it looks like there is a gap in a flank and no one is covering, keep an eye on that gap for enemies to approach. 

• Cool 3

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Cruisers and IJN DDs are easy mode in the low tiers. Once you get to mid-tier and higher, battleships and carriers are the most powerful, and cruisers are actually the hardest to play in my opinion, because one wrong move and you'll be citadeled by BBs or other cruisers, or be wrecked by torps. Cruisers are actually probably the most complex ship type at higher tiers. Just my opinion. If you want easy damage go get a Yamato, Midway, or a Hakyryu. 

And yes, tier 5-6 is probably the most fun. But tiers 3-4 are pretty fun as well, because it's just a crazy free-for-all. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,549 posts
5,319 battles

I suggest playing:

USN battleship to 5

IJN cruiser to 5

IJN destroyer to 5

IJN carrier to 5

This will give you a good feeling of how all the lines play.

USN destroyers = more mid-range shooty, less torpedoes

RU destroyers = all shooty
IJN battleship = less armor and turns like a brick, but longer range and faster

USN cruiser = line is a complete mess, I don't recommend past the Omaha

RU cruiser = less armor and faster, but longer range and faster rate of fire

KM cruiser = AP focused rather than HE focused

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Yes, cruisers are probably the best to start with.  But don't neglect the DD and BB..and CVs.  Experience in the captain's chair of every class makes you better in your chosen class.  Experiencing the top speed, turn radius, and turret traverse of a BB...very helpful when playing CA and DD.  Experiencing the fragility of a DD, the focus fire you get when detected, and what it takes to target torps...very helpful when playing BB or CA. 

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Japanese cruisers are the safest bet for a new player to learn the ropes at this time, and this line has the benefit of being one of the strongest ship lines in the game come high tiers. It's a win-win.

Good deal!

I'm playing Japan exclusively for now, so I'll start trying to learn the cruiser better. (I presently suck at everything.)

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Good deal!

I'm playing Japan exclusively for now, so I'll start trying to learn the cruiser better. (I presently suck at everything.)

Well the plus side of japan, you start learning 8 inch guns WAY early. Start tier 5, you're on 203s and you stay that way till tier 10.  KM and USA don't get 8 inch guns till tier 7, and the Cleveland while being a wonderful ship, tends to teach bad habits that don't translate well to the rest of the line.

Though if you REALLY want to learn cruisers, learn USN cruisers tier 7 and up, especially the Pensacola. If you learn how to make that ship sing, you can play any cruiser any tier.

[-K--]
Members
1,151 posts
9,208 battles

One thing to note is that tiers 5-7 seem to also be the most popular place for experienced players who dislike the Campy McCampface battles of tier 8-10.  So, don't be surprised to run into some good players.  When playing my Texas or Kongo there are an aweful lot of cruiser players who haven't figured out not to sail broadsides and have a pretty short match.  

I think cruisers are a lot of fun and a good learning platform.  You can learn when to use HE vs AP, learn how to angle your ship to prevent massive citadel strikes on you, learn how to position yourself tactically, etc.

But mid tier battleships are also a lot of fun and a good learning platform too.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

TBH, unless you're in a hurry to get to a particular ship, play everything up to Tier 5-6 before you decide what you like.

It's a good way to learn what the various types are capable of, and also, Tier 5-6 is considered by many to be the "sweet spot". Credits are good, the meta doesn't really favour or disfavour one ship type over another, and the ships are pretty well balanced with each other. (there are no "stinkers")

Even if you aren't interested in going further on a line, usually the Tier 5 or 6 is worth keeping. (I don't plan on doing Russian cruisers, but the Kirov is interesting to play, so it has a permanent slot)

Members
3 posts
41 battles

I really appreciate all the input, all positive!  On the WoT forum about a quarter of the comments would be negative and insulting.  LOL.

It looks like the IJN line will be my focus for the near future. Thank you all.  :)

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Correct, tier 5 and 6 is the sweet spot where you can generally develop skills and have tough competition without feeling out of your depth. I pushed up to tiers 7-8 too fast and am still recovering from how bad my stats got because I was too stubborn to admit I needed to work on my skills a lot at lower tiers first. 

Ditto.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

When playing my Texas or Kongo there are an aweful lot of cruiser players who haven't figured out not to sail broadsides and have a pretty short match. 

Hey! Don't talk about me that way! :teethhappy:

I had intentionally planned on staying in T4 for a long time to do my long-haul learning, but after all the talk about the Kongo and now the pointing out of the T5 Japanese cruisers, I'll go on to 5 and then hole up and camp out there for a while.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Good deal!

My recommendations would be:

USN battleships up to New Mexico (tier 6)

USN cruisers up to Omaha OR Cleveland (tiers 5 or 6)

USN destroyers up to Nicholas (Tier 5)

IJN battleships up to Kongo (Tier 5)

IJN cruisers up to Kuma OR Furutaka (Tiers 4 or 5)

IJN destroyers up to Isokaze OR Minekaze (Tiers 4 or 5)

Carriers both at tier 4, Langley and Hosho, are also recommended. At least so you can understand a bit about how planes work so you know better about how to deal with them later.

Of course proceed at your own pace, but tiers 4-6 are a good range to sit and learn the game. I spend most of my gameplay in this range myself because I adore Kongo and New Mexico and Fujin/Kamikaze, my premium tier 5 destroyers.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Carriers both at tier 4, Langley and Hosho, are also recommended. At least so you can understand a bit about how planes work so you know better about how to deal with them later.

Of course proceed at your own pace, but tiers 4-6 are a good range to sit and learn the game. I spend most of my gameplay in this range myself because I adore Kongo and New Mexico and Fujin/Kamikaze, my premium tier 5 destroyers.

Thanks!

I haven't started up the destroyer line yet, but I will. I think I'm going to get everything to T5 and just build me a camp fire and hang out there for quite a while.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Thanks!

I haven't started up the destroyer line yet, but I will. I think I'm going to get everything to T5 and just build me a camp fire and hang out there for quite a while.

Just keep in mind when you do eventually mess with destroyers that USN and IJN destroyers play VERY differently.

USN has a much larger focus on gunnery, while IJN focuses more on long range torpedo attacks.

EDIT: You know what? I like you. Every post you've made has been honestly asking for advice and you've received it all well. I'm gonna friend you when I get home and we can do some division play later. I have ships in most tiers, so we won't even have to faildiv for it.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

Members
2,680 posts
7,993 battles

Thanks!

Just FYI on the Nicholas there are 2 gun options. The second gun optionhas higher ROF but worse gun arcs but they are great training for the rest of the line where you will have to get used to using those guns.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Yup, that's pretty much what I did, except I'm not a huge fan of torps, so I went KM instead of IJN DDs. (now at Kirov as well)

I chose to carry on with both BB lines, the KM line, and the IJN CA line. (all at Tier 7 so far)

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

0 for 8 so far today. Just can't win no matter what. Just awful. Starting to look a lot like the old WoT pre-programmed losing streaks from hell.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

0 for 8 so far today. Just can't win no matter what. Just awful. Starting to look a lot like the old WoT pre-programmed losing streaks from hell.

Every thread I see you in, you're a charming ball of sunshine and rainbows. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

I can't recommend Russian DDs enough.  The only downside is once you get into them, you might not want to get back out.

They're lightning quick, nearly or all of the ships are the fastest ship at their tier.

They have very good guns.  The RoF isn't quite what the USN DD have, but instead of shooting rainbows you have shots that nearly skim the waves all the way into the target ship.

The downsides are most of them have situational torps at best.  Basically if someone charges you for some reason they die in a hail of many short range high speed high damage torps, but your range is less than half of the spotting range of the ship.

The maneuverability on most of them is not especially good.  Large turning circles are pretty common.  This is large by DD standards, so it's not too painful but compared to either USN or IJN DDs they can turn tighter.

They are the least stealthy of the DDs.  Not a surprise since the entire line is full of destroyer leader designs, like the Atlanta.  Very large for a DD, but small for a CL.

They play a lot like a CL, except no citadel, plus a lot more speed.  Throw in smoke and speed boost to replace the defensive fire and I think that's a pretty good trade.