Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CorvusBB39

Salvo vs. Ripple fire

8 comments in this topic

[WWF2]
Members
593 posts
15,821 battles

Or Sequential as they term it here.

Is there much of a difference practically speaking?  When should I use one or the other?

[LFD]
Alpha Tester
3,951 posts
723 battles

Use ripple for finding range, moving the aiming spot slightly, and broadside for once you find range.

Note: Each time you discharge a multi gun turret can be considered a "salvo" since it is multiple guns. I assume you are referring to broadside when you say salvo however due to the fact that 1 click discharges a single turret/gun and 2 clicks discharges all guns that are on target.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Broadside tends to be better as a ship constantly under fire will be constantly evading and aware the instant they see the first shot, which is only part of a salvo, allowing them to maneuver before the rest of the fire arrives. I do use sequential fire sometimes for rapid fire guns shooting HE in order to "walk" fires onto different parts of the ship, or if my hand gets tired. A risk of this is wasting shots in order to adjust your aim.

Alpha Tester
234 posts
7,606 battles

one for range, then unload.    

However, there are some ships, mainly the US cruiser line that ripple fire is a bit better than full salvo.   Case in point the St. Louis, Phoenix, Marblehead, Omaha.  You can do circle of death and keep a constant fire lancing out to the enemy.  This is very effective for taking out DDs, yes a full salvo hit could devastate or kill it, but if you miss, well gotta wait.  With the ripple fire you can walk the shells along the enemy ship and aim near the back, disabling steering or engine.

The more you play and get a handle on estimating lead time, you'll end up doing more full salvos.

When playing BBs, use one for range and then shoot all.   My reasoning for this is you dont really want that enemy to make too much course or speed change since your reload time is long.

hope that helps.

Vonquote

0 posts

Personally I found rippling fire to be more useful when firing at range, and I typically only use salvo fire at closer ranges when I'm most likely to hit the target for devastating damage. 

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,746 posts
4,573 battles

I used ripple fire with destroyers that play as gunboats, and cruisers with many and/or fast firing guns. This is while using HE.

[WWF2]
Members
593 posts
15,821 battles

1 click discharges a single turret/gun and 2 clicks discharges all guns that are on target.

Aha!  I thought one click was one gun, not one turret.  Imagine my confusion when I'd single click my Hashidate and watch two shells depart.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

I mostly ripple when fighting a bow-on target and want to put in some damage without sacrificing the chance of opening a salvo for that juicy broadside.

Sign in to follow this