Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

More Strategic Fail Frustration

10 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

We win the early and mid game and have a ship advantage and a 100 point lead, but they have two caps to our one.  I die fighting for the mid cap and look up to see both teams mostly composed of BBs in snipe formation.  I inform team in chat that unless the BBs push to cap, we lose on points.

One BB, a NY, responds affirmative and immediately heads for the mid cap.  I had to "nicely" get onto the second BB (a Warspite) to head in and help the NY or NY will get focused fire.  The third BB, an undamged Fuso, takes the long road to the far cap.  The NY drives in admirably, but eventually succumbs to focus fire just as the Warspite arrives.  The Warspite also performs well, but he too dies in the cap...just as the Fuso arrives after the long end run to the far cap and back.  We are ahead on ships and points, but fail to get the mid cap...and ultimately lose by a mere 20 points.

If all three BBs had just grasped the initiative at that mid game moment and just drove to the mid cap...all three TOGETHER could have mopped the enemy.  Instead, our NY and Warspite were eliminated in detail and the Fuso arrived too late to make a difference.

Kudos to the two players who at least followed my advice to drive on the cap.  It wasn't as coordinated as it could have been, but both made the attempt...and did well in the fight that followed.  If the Fuso had just driven in with the gang...it would have been a good win.

Tactically, our team did good throughout.  But for all you BB players out there, you can't snipe/defend with a cap deficit.  You gotta drive in. And you gotta do it together for the win. 

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

Someone said this before, but the best way to get bb players to actually move is to tell them an enemy dd is right behind them.

• Cool 4

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Someone said this before, but the best way to get bb players to actually move is to tell them an enemy dd is right behind them.

Hahahaha!!!! :honoring:

[CJN]
Beta Testers
719 posts
9,350 battles

As a BB captain, this saddens me. I usually push with CAs if they support me. If not, I brawl until I die.

Members
1,451 posts
11,026 battles

I can't stop laughing...

Members
6,889 posts
14,875 battles

This is a frustration for me - everyone wants the BBs to move up and when I research a BB that I have you see things like 'best fighting distance is 10-15 km - any closer and you will get burned quickly'.  Or you need to fight head on - making hitting the enemy very difficult as well as having your damage output halved.

Only way I can play and not die in 3 minutes is to keep some amount of distance from the enemy.  It is rare to be able to get one on one and brawl.  2 or 3 ships hurling HE at any BB I have ever played and I burn to the water in less than 3 minutes.  I have played the IJN BB to tier 5 and USN to tier 7.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,637 battles

This is a frustration for me - everyone wants the BBs to move up and when I research a BB that I have you see things like 'best fighting distance is 10-15 km - any closer and you will get burned quickly'.  Or you need to fight head on - making hitting the enemy very difficult as well as having your damage output halved.

Only way I can play and not die in 3 minutes is to keep some amount of distance from the enemy.  It is rare to be able to get one on one and brawl.  2 or 3 ships hurling HE at any BB I have ever played and I burn to the water in less than 3 minutes.  I have played the IJN BB to tier 5 and USN to tier 7.

The trick is to know when to move up. BB's need support, yes, but so do the other ships. If all the cruisers are in front of a full HP battleship and are taking massive amounts of enemy fire, is the battleship really helping by trying to snipe? But the same goes both ways, if a battleship moves up and isn't supported, it becomes an easy target. It all boils down to getting a team that wants to work together and push a side of the map.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

The trick is to know when to move up.

This^^^^

In my example, the BBs were still in snipe mode going into an end game that could not be won remaining in snipe mode.  The ship balance and points (at the time) were in our favor.  Stay in snipe mode for a guaranteed loss...or push together for a guaranteed win.  The tactical skill was there.  All three captains knew how to aim and engage enemy ships.  They just didn't now where they had to be to win.

[STW]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
10,616 battles

ddbb.jpg
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this