You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

Moving Captains ship to ship penalty?

6 comments in this topic

Members
4,272 posts
5,302 battles

As I understand it, you can move Caps ship to ship in the same nationality, but there is a penalty. But what is it? Does he lose some skills but not others? But if he started in a premium ship, there is none right? I want to train a Captain for a dream ship not in the game yet, but would rather not have spend money to do it, if I can train him in one I can get for free. I'm thinking BB to battle cruiser, so the skill set would be the same.  (call me cheap, I'm used to it.)

Thanks!

Davos.

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

As I understand it, you can move Caps ship to ship in the same nationality, but there is a penalty. But what is it? Does he lose some skills but not others? But if he started in a premium ship, there is none right? I want to train a Captain for a dream ship not in the game yet, but would rather not have spend money to do it, if I can train him in one I can get for free. I'm thinking BB to battle cruiser, so the still set would be the same.  (call me cheap, I'm used to it.)

Thanks!

Davos.

If you hired a captain on a prem ship & transferred him to a normal ship (say Atlanta to Pensa) then there will be a penalty. He has no skills on the Pensacola and only on the Atlanta. However, if you hired him on the Pensa & transferred him back and forth between the Atlanta & Pensa, then you do not need to retrain him. If you transfer the Pensa captain to the NO, he will lose some skills (Like situational awareness) whereas others such as AFT will only be reduced by 50%. As it says on your captain when he is being "retrained" on a ship, he has a 50% skill reduction on all skills. Absolute skills such as situational awareness will not be active during retraining.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

He doesn't lose skills, but there is a 'retraining period' when you change ships, and during that retraining his skills don't work and all his skill goes towards the retraining cost.

Premium ships allow you to transfer a captain who is retraining to the premium ship and his skills still work.  Also, they generally have a bonus to XP gains, so the retraining goes faster.

The best way IMHO is, assign your captain to your new tree ship.  Say, a Cleveland.  Pay the 200000 silver to cut retraining in half.   Then you assign him to your premium.  Say, Texas.  Play 3-4 games, and your retraining is complete.  Then transfer him back to Cleveland and get on with it.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,499 posts
5,526 battles

He doesn't lose skills, but there is a 'retraining period' when you change ships, and during that retraining his skills don't work and all his skill goes towards the retraining cost.

Premium ships allow you to transfer a captain who is retraining to the premium ship and his skills still work.  Also, they generally have a bonus to XP gains, so the retraining goes faster.

The best way IMHO is, assign your captain to your new tree ship.  Say, a Cleveland.  Pay the 200000 silver to cut retraining in half.   Then you assign him to your premium.  Say, Texas.  Play 3-4 games, and your retraining is complete.  Then transfer him back to Cleveland and get on with it.

This helps. been doing it wrong, I have. So wat do I do with my prem skippers? Reserve, or drop them on another boat?

Members
168 posts
20,746 battles

I have a couple of questions regarding premium ships.

First, from what I've read here, sailing in a premium ship allows you to ignore skill penalties when retraining a captain.  For instance, if my captain is currently in a Omaha class cruiser, then transfers over to a Cleveland class cruiser (and pays 200,000 credits to accelerate retraining), and then transfers over to a Marblehead premium ship, he will still have to work through the XP penalty, but his skills will work at full strength.  True or false?

Also, I have read that one of the advantages of premium ships is that they grant additional XP and credits earned during battles.  The XP gain is easy enough to verify (the permanent camouflage provides it), but I can find nothing about additional credits earned.  Is that something that occurred in the past, or does it still apply today?

[BANGO]
Members
809 posts
26,528 battles

FALSE. As long as retraining is going on, no matter the sip, the skills are disabled or reduced to 50% effectiveness. It just goes faster with the XP bonuses on premium ships.

Yes, the premium ship advantages include "more credits per battle"