You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Superstition

18 comments in this topic

Members
1,651 posts
20,684 battles

So some of us believe in it to some degree, we cant justify it but we swear we win because of it.  Now last weekend i had some awesome games i got Clear Skies in a Battleship 53 planes shot down, I did 75k damage in the Atlanta etc etc,  But all for losses and most the matches i played went for losses.  So i said what gives something has to be off so i checked everything twice got my favorite hat, got my favorite drink, got my favorite chair, hmmm.  Then i found the problem my N.C was stuck on 666 ships destroyed :(  bad luck detected!!!   Does anyone else believe in supersticious things that you believe help you achieve victory :)

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

So some of us believe in it to some degree, we cant justify it but we swear we win because of it.  Now last weekend i had some awesome games i got Clear Skies in a Battleship 53 planes shot down, I did 75k damage in the Atlanta etc etc,  But all for losses and most the matches i played went for losses.  So i said what gives something has to be off so i checked everything twice got my favorite hat, got my favorite drink, got my favorite chair, hmmm.  Then i found the problem my N.C was stuck on 666 ships destroyed :(  bad luck detected!!!  

RIP GUNSTAR, you will be missed... v.v

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

I would comment but it's bad luck to to confirm or deny these things.

In AlfaTesters
957 posts
3,049 battles

Lol. I don't know about superstition in video games but there are definitely some bizarre rites my buddies and I follow at work and while fishing.

At work there are certain words and phrases that are never spoken for fear of enraging our own version of RNGeezus.

While fishing, if we are not catching, we crush up handfuls of Cheez-its and scatter them to port, starboard, and then the stern. Said handfuls must be released over the fishing pole and line pointing in the direction of the offering. Missing the pole or line with the offering negates any positive effect.

When trout fishing, one must always roll their lure in Copenhagen before the first cast.

just a few of the stupid things we do.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Using one dive bomber squad to bomb myself and hit the DCP right after seems to give a good game...

...don't try this at home, folks.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Using one dive bomber squad to bomb myself and hit the DCP right after seems to give a good game...

...don't try this at home, folks.

All it takes is that one bomb to end it all. :trollface:

Than I'm sure you and thecanadian will be the best of friends. :great:

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I always play either Grem or Fujin as my first match, then Atlanta always everytime.

I have special socks, a special hat, a special cup, a special T Shirt with the obvious accompanying holes.

Edited by slak__

Beta Testers
730 posts
2,345 battles

Does believing in the grace of RNGesus count as superstition or One True Faith?

you believe in things that you don't understand—

[B_O_W]
Members
432 posts
6,818 battles

True story.

I read this post while my game was loading for the next match with the intent of saying "No, I do not believe in superstitious things" and then during this match a friendly DD did actual 180 degree turn and ran flat out with speed boost to run into my torps turning me pink for the first time ever.

I am now changing my position to "No comment".

:amazed:

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

I believe in the cult of Blyskawyka. I have heard many others do. Plus there's the church of St Louis.

Members
642 posts
782 battles

Superstitious? Absolutely not! Just because I ALWAYS start my first game in the T3 St. Louis isn't superstitious because if I win and do well then I will know that my other ships will do OK. If I lose or do badly, I sometimes just clock out and try some other time. That isn't superstition, just following the quantum theory of probability or perhaps Occams Razor. BTW if you believe that I have a great bridge you might want to buy.

[-DZ-]
Members
178 posts
14,777 battles

Lol. I don't know about superstition in video games but there are definitely some bizarre rites my buddies and I follow at work and while fishing.

At work there are certain words and phrases that are never spoken for fear of enraging our own version of RNGeezus.

While fishing, if we are not catching, we crush up handfuls of Cheez-its and scatter them to port, starboard, and then the stern. Said handfuls must be released over the fishing pole and line pointing in the direction of the offering. Missing the pole or line with the offering negates any positive effect.

When trout fishing, one must always roll their lure in Copenhagen before the first cast.

just a few of the stupid things we do.

Sounds an awful lot like chumming to me. No wonder your fishing got better...:trollface:

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Sounds an awful lot like chumming to me. No wonder your fishing got better...:trollface:

I would bet Cope would drive away fish...

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

It's beyond superstitions, people believe in the most ridiculous things that have been proven over and over to be false, like the odds of getting tails increasing after it lands on heads 6 times in a row.  Roulette is the same way between people betting on black or red.

The same thing about blackjack where many actually think a bad player that acts before them negatively affects their play.  This is a big one that some blackjack players are more radical about in believing than the most fanatical religious people on this planet.

Yet they are all wrong.  The human capacity to rationalize is fascinating.  It's also one of the elements of self-destructive behavior that the universe uses as a balancing force that keeps us in check.  I'm not saying that the 'universe' is some conscious entity that did it on purpose, I'm talking about the natural laws that tend to drive almost everything in the physical universe to a balanced state.  

Beta Testers
730 posts
2,345 battles

It's beyond superstitions, people believe in the most ridiculous things that have been proven over and over to be false, like the odds of getting tails increasing after it lands on heads 6 times in a row

I'm talking about the natural laws that tend to drive almost everything in the physical universe to a balanced state.  

Many of these cognitive biases stem from the human ability to see patterns, in events and in sensory data. This ability was obviously very important in the evolution of mankind. So, this human strength is also a human vulnerability. We sometimes see patterns where there really are none. And we lack an instinctive grasp of probabilities.

The "natural laws" with which I'm familiar (Second Law of Thermodynamics?) say that everything in the physical universe is driven to entropy. When every last particle in the universe is in a state of disorder, that will be "balanced," but unhappily so. A forlorn equilibrium, universal orderlessness.