You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
smellerby14

Fix hit boxes on ends of ships.

11 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
2,248 battles

Yeah thats a problem with game latency that becomes more apparent at the ends of ships. Do you have any vids?

Ahh I see then, I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I don't, I had this happen twice in one game and rage posted.

Members
757 posts

Ahh I see then, I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I don't, I had this happen twice in one game and rage posted.

Its not to say it isn't a problem but you might want to try it on a stationary ship to confirm if there is an actual hitbox issue.
Edited by anonym_9qa81sg1ET3c

Members
8 posts
2,248 battles

Its not to say it isn't a problem but you might want to try it on a stationary ship to confirm if there is an actual hitbox issue.

Alright thanks for the advice man.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Thats not a hit box problem actually. Thats actually how the ships are modeled. Your torps are actually going under the ship where the stern is actually higher up in the water, leaving just enough space for the torp to pass under. 

Mind you, not all ships are like this, but some of them are. (can't think off the top of my which ones though)

A good way to help counter this a bit more is to launch the torp ever so slightly ahead of the indicator, and with ships with more than one launcher per side, one slightly ahead and one slightly behind (too also help account for any speed changes/turns/ect the target may do after launch)

Also, sometimes lag can be a bit of a factor at times especially coupled with what I said up top. :aqua: 

[_TWP_]
Members
611 posts
6,839 battles

Thats not a hit box problem actually. Thats actually how the ships are modeled. Your torps are actually going under the ship where the stern is actually higher up in the water, leaving just enough space for the torp to pass under. 

Mind you, not all ships are like this, but some of them are. (can't think off the top of my which ones though)

This is probably a factor. Latency/lag can account for it sometimes, but most destroyers and a fair number of light cruisers (Königsberg and Nürnberg come to mind, but I'm sure there are others) have such shallow draft at the stern that torpedoes can actually pass beneath them.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

This is probably a factor. Latency/lag can account for it sometimes, but most destroyers and a fair number of light cruisers (Königsberg and Nürnberg come to mind, but I'm sure there are others) have such shallow draft at the stern that torpedoes can actually pass beneath them.

I actually thought it was a nice addition when I first found out about it. Adds a nice little bit of realism in an otherwise arcade oriented game. :P

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

:aqua:

Reminds me of a guy on the WoT forums who swore the guy he shot at was hacking, since he fired, didn't miss the tank, but no hit registered. He even posted a replay.

If you watched it from the right angle and slowed it down, you could see the 105mm shell travel through the 5" gap between the turret counterweight and the engine deck, and it was a fine hair behind the turret ring.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Reminds me of a guy on the WoT forums who swore the guy he shot at was hacking, since he fired, didn't miss the tank, but no hit registered. He even posted a replay.

If you watched it from the right angle and slowed it down, you could see the 105mm shell travel through the 5" gap between the turret counterweight and the engine deck, and it was a fine hair behind the turret ring.

You gotten give major props to the modeling team. Getting the hitboxes to be THAT accurate must be a pain in the rear. :P