Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wepps

How to upload video to youtube / wowsreplay?

22 comments in this topic

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

Okay. I spent half the morning working out how to enable replays. That done, I needed to figure out how to get the files to a useable format on youtube.

Not very easy finding any useful information.

I need specific details - how to get the video in my folder to a useable format, and how to upload to wowsreplay.

I have already 'dragged and dropped' to youtube upload but it says there's some general problem and closes.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Wepps

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Replays are not videofiles. They are a set of instructions telling the game client what to display. You need to convert them to a proper video format, first. Although I'm no youtuber or video editor (and I'm sure one will come by soon enough) I'm pretty sure that involves having a video recording software like fraps or similar recording the screen.

Members
29 posts
5,009 battles

The file format is unique to World of Warships.

You have to associate the file with the application "WorldOfWarships.exe" , after which you can simply double click the replay file, to play it.

To record it, you can use any recording software. Since I've been known to stream to Twitch, I use OBS Studio, which has the capability of producing an MP4 file with H264 encoding, which you can upload directly to YouTube (you can also add your own commentary, while at it).

Many people use a video editor, before uploading the MP4 file, but that's up to you. I'm not sure that Replay files include the result screens (they normally don't, but 0.5.6.0 ?). You should screen capture them, after a match.

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

Off subject, but I use Shadowcast via my Nvidia card through Nvidia experience.

If I need to do any editing, I use Windows Movie Maker.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Just wanted to mention that if you want to upload to wowsreplays.com, you simply upload replay file itself, not the video, no conversion needed. Conversion into a video file is only required If you want to upload to youtube.

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,191 battles

So the replay file is meant to be used with the WoWS Client Launcher. You drag the replay file over the wows.exe and it will automatically open the game and begin the replay. Once the replay starts, you use a third party video capturing programs such as Fraps. Once done, you may then edit the video with a free program such as movie maker, look for another free program online, or if you enjoy editing you can look into editing suites such as Adobe After Effects (which cost a LOT, even as a student!)

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

If you wanted to upload to wowreplays.com, you don't need to record the file with 3rd party software. The website accepts the replay file in its raw format.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,233 battles

Anyone tried Windows 10 Game Bar recording? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-recording-game-clips

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

Thanks guys, uploaded it to wowreplays, and now waiting....

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

If you wanted to upload to wowreplays.com, you don't need to record the file with 3rd party software. The website accepts the replay file in its raw format.

Cool. Now....

Windows media player apparently can't view the download. Should I be using something else?

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,191 battles

Cool. Now....

Windows media player apparently can't view the download. Should I be using something else?

Consider wowsreplay.com a file sharing site that gives information on the file being downloaded. When you get the file, you still need the game client to watch it. If you want this to work on media player, you need to make it into an acceptable video format such as .avi, .mp4, etc. To do this you need to record the game.

Step 1: Open video recording software. Fraps, OBS, CaptureCam.

Step 2: Drag replay over worldofwarships.exe

Step 3: Use recording software to record game and create video file.

Step 4: Use Windows Movie Maker to edit if necessary

Step 5: Upload to YouTube or site of choice.

The replay file can only be viewed as video via the client. To get this to work as video on any other program or website, it needs to be an actual video and not a replay file. Note that a video file is MUCH larger in size.

Beta Testers
3,000 posts
4,522 battles

The best way to record your replay is to stream it on twitch and then upload the relevant game onto youtube.

Warships replay system is god awful the last I tried it a few patches ago. Torpedo indicators are wonky, torpedo/gun indicators do not match the actual guy you were targeting in game.

Those are more than enough reasons to just stream your session on twitch and upload what you like. OBS does streaming quite well if you wish to use it for that purpose.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

The best way to record your replay is to stream it on twitch and then upload the relevant game onto youtube.

Warships replay system is god awful the last I tried it a few patches ago. Torpedo indicators are wonky, torpedo/gun indicators do not match the actual guy you were targeting in game.

Those are more than enough reasons to just stream your session on twitch and upload what you like. OBS does streaming quite well if you wish to use it for that purpose.

There are actually no reasons to stream if you only want to upload a video to you tube...not a single one. Those two activities are completely unrelated - stream if you want to stream, and make videos if you want to make videos.
Edited by IceSerpen7

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

If you use OBS to stream it can actually record straight to a file as well. 

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

Okay. I spent half the morning working out how to enable replays. That done, I needed to figure out how to get the files to a useable format on youtube.

Not very easy finding any useful information.

I need specific details - how to get the video in my folder to a useable format, and how to upload to wowsreplay.

I have already 'dragged and dropped' to youtube upload but it says there's some general problem and closes.

Thanks in advance.

Specific details? 

You can not drag and drop a replay file to youtube because a replay file is simply a text log recording your performance. 

You need to launch the replay in World of Warships. 

From there, you have SEVERAL options available to you. People with a modern nvidia card get access to shadowplay- a program that gets your graphics card to record gameplay with minimal CPU taxation. This is free for anyone with an nVIDIA card only. It will not work with AMD. 

For me, I toss and turn between 2 methods on my AMD card. 

The first is to use my game capture card(designed to record while having minimal impact on my dated CPU) to stream via X-split to my youtube account. I like this method because it doesn't take hours to do, but with a 1Mbps upload speed, it's pretty poor quality at 720pm

The other way is to record it to a video file. Once again, thanks to my internet, my recordings take 4 hours to upload fir a single WoWS replay

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

There are actually no reasons to stream if you only want to upload a video to you tube...not a single one. Those two activities are completely unrelated - stream if you want to stream, and make videos if you want to make videos.

Actually streaming to youtube let's their servers process my archive video. It's sadly bad quality on my internet connection but it doesn't take 45 minutes to render and 3-4 hours to upload, it's ready within 20 minutes of me hitting end stream

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Actually streaming to youtube let's their servers process my archive video. It's sadly bad quality on my internet connection but it doesn't take 45 minutes to render and 3-4 hours to upload, it's ready within 20 minutes of me hitting end stream

The "sadly bad quality" kind of video won't take hours to upload regardless. Besides, video capture programs record on-the-fly (at least both fraps and shadowplay do), there's no extra rendering step.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

The "sadly bad quality" kind of video won't take hours to upload regardless. Besides, video capture programs record on-the-fly (at least both fraps and shadowplay do), there's no extra rendering step.

I was a user of fraps for a long time(until DX11 games started giving me errors with fraps) but fraps has 2 disadvantages. 

1) it's recording in raw .Avi.  This is bad because of file size for a 20 minute recording. It also means that the video has to be handed off to another program(Vegas pro 13 steam edition for me) to make it not take a week to upload. My bandwidth is limited to 1Mbps upstream. That's 125KBps in real time. 

2) it's a CPU hog. I am using a dated processor. It's is 6 years in service now but replacing it means a new mainboard and OEM windows licence so I am withholding on upgrading until I really can not play my games anymore

Sign in to follow this