Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
centarina

Getting ready for new ranked season

36 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

this will be my first real serious attempt at doing the ranked, so I wanted to discuss possible ships that would best work.  We know that it will be t5-7, so that may limit the ship choice. Not sure if match will be limited to 1 tier or mixed.(I would guess 1tier)

TIer 5  I don't have 15 pointer in kamiR yet.  that would make it simple choice.     I am leaning toward murmansk currently due to its flexibility.

DD:KamiR

Better option is Gremy if you have it.     just don't see gnevny or nicholas being as competitive here in team, but they can probably do ok.

CA:  Konigs or Murmansk (furutaka C now is also good now)

it is pretty wide open here.   all bit fragile, but each with strength.  Wonder Konig's sonar would be important.  furu's C hull has good torps too.

BB: Kongo or texas

Tier 6:  I will be running anshan

DD: Anshan or Farragut

Anshan is best all around DD  for t6.   Farragut can be strong though in capable hand. 

CA: not sure.  buddy or cleveland?

BB: any of the 3  probably can do well  

Tier 7:  Kiev or Yorck .  I do well in yorck, but can't seem to win with it as much.   kiev can do well, but not sure how well for ranked.  leaning toward kiev.  

DD:  Kiev, Blyskawica

Blysk is probably better choice, but kiev can probably do ok here.

CA: Myoko or Yorck

Myoko is really strong, but I really think yorck is better for ranked.  it has good armor, good agility with decent turret and sonar.  Indy could be good late entry though with radar.

BB:  Nagato  

Tier 10:  I don't have a tier 10, but if T9 is allowed, I can use   fletcher at that point.  only t9 boat I have but strong enough.  may move 15 point captain over though.

I should have gotten a blysk, but having to train a new captain is bit of pain.   no time for that now  and I hoping they will buff Sims before release. 

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Not sure about the T5s but I know you play well enough to breeze through them, pretty much anything is going to work for you if you are comfortable with it.

When you move up to T6-7 I would strongly suggest playing 7s if you can, maybe Anshan and Warspite would work OK.  

Mahan is a mini Benson, I have a Blys and I will still prob play Mahan over it as it's great at capping and Blys is for the most part not for me. If you are good with Sims I would say try it, it's stupid fast and has good detection and murders DDs which is key to winning.

Just re bout Colorado and will use that as a BB, though Nagato was maybe a better choice? Dunno...

I would go with Myoko over every other Cruiser not called Indy, though I have zero experience with the T7 RU ship.

When you make it to the T10 matches and you will :), Fletcher will be great. I think... Never played Ranked with T10s so that's a guess.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Where are they saying Ranked is coming?

[CRANE]
Alpha Tester
9,505 posts
3,688 battles

When did tier 10 show up in ranked? I haven't bothered with it after the first season since I could never actually get the wins because teams kept folding.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I will have to look for it, but there was "sneak peak"  announcement about upcoming ranked.   they said tier  5-7  but keep a t10 if you  plan on making it to rank 1      not sure if they will have 3 separate tiering or not either.       why I posted 5,6 and 7.    

I've kept farragut with 11 point captain for t6 if I need better knife fighting, but anshan does alright.  I am very comfy with it.    

T7  is question mark for me.  I could buy back mahan and move the benson's 15 point captain to it.  that would bring the conceal down to 6.8km which would be ok.  only thing bad about mahan was its concealment anyway.  otherwise, I actually preferred it over benson with its ability to spam torps.    I will think about that.

Edited by centarina

[MISER]
Beta Testers
53 posts
9,428 battles

tier 10 hasn`t been in rank yet.played the first and third season highest tier was 8.

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,091 battles

TIer 10 will be for players who reached rank 1 and want to go on. Still no idea if they will have rank 5,6 and 7 seperated or will go for 5-6 and 6-7 bracket.

Members
2,518 posts

TIer 10 will be for players who reached rank 1 and want to go on. Still no idea if they will have rank 5,6 and 7 seperated or will go for 5-6 and 6-7 bracket.

This

no where has it been specified

I read it as "tier 5, tier 6, tier 7" all separate, but it's anyone's guess 

[A-D-F]
Members
7,876 posts
43,380 battles

Not sure about the info yet as I have not read anything definite, but s a rule of thumb, when there are two tiers in a spread, you are generally better bringing something in the top tier. A few ships can certainly be up-tiered one level and do fine (e.g. Minekaze or Cleveland). In any case, bring what you are comfortable with, and have a set to choose from as they always put limits on what can be in one battle (e.g. One CV, Two BBs, etc), so your choice of class may already be in the queue and not accepted.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,642 battles

Sims will be a fantastic choice for Tier 7 is you have a 15 point captain. Those slow 49 knot torps are great at area denial and they reload quick too.

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

DD wise, you have some good thoughts on those. I haven't given it much thought myself.

I cant remember what I started with in Season 2, but I ended up in the Kiev mid way to ranked 1 in it. That was pre fire nerf, but I'll prolly stay in it this go round. my fire chance is 11 atm. Season 3 I made it to ranked 5, but I stopped going any further due to Scrubs and long wait times.

I guess it all depends on how its separated. I hope they put the info out in advance so everyone can get an idea on what they'll use.

[MCWF]
7,026 posts
29,091 battles

Anyways I don't care, finished with 5th rank last season so I can skip the lower bracket. Log, do one ranked battle, get all those juicy rewards.

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

I doubt I will be interested if it is another DD fest.

I think it would be a good idea if WG made it so that 40% was the maximum you could play in any one class of ship to prevent the DD think like last season. I know there are flaws to this idea but class dominant battles other than cruisers are painful to dredge through at a certain point especially when over a couple hundred matchs are ahead of you.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

if they sell sims before the ranked, that will be my easy choice.    I am realy looking  forward this season.  I am pretty much done with regular grind, and need reason to keep playing  :)

[MCWF]
7,026 posts
29,091 battles

if they sell sims before the ranked, that will be my easy choice.    I am realy looking  forward this season.  I am pretty much done with regular grind, and need reason to keep playing  :)

I stopped grinding and just enjoy the game. 

[NGA-A]
Members
2,646 posts
17,725 battles

In the Public Tester Ranked Battle Season, I noticed that the Shchors was a very popular ship. Part of that could be do to many of the players being Russian, but it has great versatility because those guns are great at cit'ing cruisers and they give destroyers absolute hell.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Anything will get a decent player through the first few brackets, but then it's going to be Mahan/Sims/Blys, Myoko/Yorck, and Nagato. Colorados will either win or lose matches depending on who happens to be driving them. I'd expect to see a few well played Indy and Atlanta battles too.

If I had to pick specific ships out of my port, I'd take Sims/Blys, Yorck, CO.

Members
2,518 posts

Anything will get a decent player through the first few brackets, but then it's going to be Mahan/Sims/Blys, Myoko/Yorck, and Nagato. Colorados will either win or lose matches depending on who happens to be driving them. I'd expect to see a few well played Indy and Atlanta battles too.

If I had to pick specific ships out of my port, I'd take Sims/Blys, Yorck, CO.

I value your opinion on the matter,

Thoughts on Kiev and Shchors?

Edited by why_u_heff_to_be_mad

[NGA-A]
Members
2,646 posts
17,725 battles

Another ship to watch out for will be Saipans, those things will murder any ship that even tries fighting alone.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

I value your opinion on the matter,

Thoughts in Kiev and Shchors?

No and no. Kiev doesn't have the torps and has trouble pushing DDs out of caps without living dangerously. That's fine for the 15-10 bracket (assuming brackets are the same), but not 10-5 and 5-1 as the DD play does tend to get much better. Shchors just doesn't have the maneuverability or concealment to survive.

Assuming you want to bring DDs and CA/CLs to Ranked, I'll put them in my order of preference.

DDs:

Sims - A well played Sims is the ultimate cap bully. She's nearly impossible to hit and that Benson traverse means you can do all that maneuvering and still have most if not all of your guns on target. The torps are weak, but they're good for area denial (long range) or DD killing (short range).

Blys - I'm expecting a lot of well played 15-18 point captains. She almost competes with Mahan on caps and is just as strong against cruisers and BBs as Kiev. Blys also has usable torps, where Kiev torping is predictable.

Mahan - The best compromise between torps and guns, Mahan will probably replace Benson.

Cruisers:

Myoko - Reasonably tanky and has that IJN HE to smash both DDs and BBs.

Yorck - Tanky, good HE, German hydro, and ranges where her AP should work well.

Indy - Radar/hydro combo, Nawlins derp guns.

Atlanta - I'm expecting as many Derplantas as last time, but being top tier changes things a bit. Highly skilled Atlambush players are going to have a field day in the higher brackets, especially working from cover with DDs, Yorcks, and Indys. Atlanta might be the real wild card ship of this season.

Battleships:

Colorado - I think she'll be the BB of choice for the really good players. She can both tank and dish better, especially when built for damage control since she's got functional concealment already.

Nagato - Much more tactically flexible than CO. All other things being equal, having more Nagatos will probably be an advantage.

Carriers:

Hiryu - Now that Team Battles has taught so many people the advantages of AS in a 7 v. 7 environment, I think the CVs that do show up will be Hiryus.

Saipan - Those that have 15+ point USN CV captains and Saipans will bring them and win.

I have every single tier 7 ship in my port, except Shchors, and that soon.

Again, Sims/Blys for caps/flexibility, Yorck for DD support, Myoko for BB support, CO for map control.

• Cool 2

Members
2,518 posts

Thanks for taking the time,

All the 7s I've played have been strong for me (except Pensacola). I suspect I'll be taking Colorado and Yorck, possibly Mahan if I can get concealment in time. The Blys looks lovely but I couldn't buy a premium that I can't train Cpts on. 

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Thanks for taking the time,

All the 7s I've played have been strong for me (except Pensacola). I suspect I'll be taking Colorado and Yorck, possibly Mahan if I can get concealment in time. The Blys looks lovely but I couldn't buy a premium that I can't train Cpts on. 

Blys starts strong and simply gets stronger with high-skill captains. If you do end up buying one, I'd recommend leaving it behind for ranked as the 15-18 point Blys drivers are just going to annihilate the newer Blys players. Captain skills are everything on that ship. IMO, you buy Blys for the fun as well as a long-term investment in a printing press.

Yorck/CO/[Mahan] is a strong lineup.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I have shchorrs unlocked, but not purchased yet.  I am not really happy with russian CAs overall.    it doesn't fit my style that well.    may be worth trying though.  I do like yorck.   its a good all around ship and underrated.

Edited by centarina

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

No and no. Kiev doesn't have the torps and has trouble pushing DDs out of caps without living dangerously. That's fine for the 15-10 bracket (assuming brackets are the same), but not 10-5 and 5-1 as the DD play does tend to get much better. Shchors just doesn't have the maneuverability or concealment to survive.

Assuming you want to bring DDs and CA/CLs to Ranked, I'll put them in my order of preference.

DDs:

Sims - A well played Sims is the ultimate cap bully. She's nearly impossible to hit and that Benson traverse means you can do all that maneuvering and still have most if not all of your guns on target. The torps are weak, but they're good for area denial (long range) or DD killing (short range).

Blys - I'm expecting a lot of well played 15-18 point captains. She almost competes with Mahan on caps and is just as strong against cruisers and BBs as Kiev. Blys also has usable torps, where Kiev torping is predictable.

Mahan - The best compromise between torps and guns, Mahan will probably replace Benson.

Cruisers:

Myoko - Reasonably tanky and has that IJN HE to smash both DDs and BBs.

Yorck - Tanky, good HE, German hydro, and ranges where her AP should work well.

Indy - Radar/hydro combo, Nawlins derp guns.

Atlanta - I'm expecting as many Derplantas as last time, but being top tier changes things a bit. Highly skilled Atlambush players are going to have a field day in the higher brackets, especially working from cover with DDs, Yorcks, and Indys. Atlanta might be the real wild card ship of this season.

Battleships:

Colorado - I think she'll be the BB of choice for the really good players. She can both tank and dish better, especially when built for damage control since she's got functional concealment already.

Nagato - Much more tactically flexible than CO. All other things being equal, having more Nagatos will probably be an advantage.

Carriers:

Hiryu - Now that Team Battles has taught so many people the advantages of AS in a 7 v. 7 environment, I think the CVs that do show up will be Hiryus.

Saipan - Those that have 15+ point USN CV captains and Saipans will bring them and win.

I have every single tier 7 ship in my port, except Shchors, and that soon.

Again, Sims/Blys for caps/flexibility, Yorck for DD support, Myoko for BB support, CO for map control.

+1

I want so badly for Atlanta to be viable in ranked, we will see. To me it all depends on what maps get used, if Ocean pops up a lot I doubt I will bother with her but if I am constantly getting North I will use Atlanta.

Sign in to follow this