Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mesrith

What do we have to do to get popular fan sites supported?

37 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Or, not even "supported", merely "get out of your own way, Wargaming".

To start with, the original Warships.Today thread was locked without comment a month and a half ago.  The owner of the site asked on this forum about why the thread was closed, but seemingly received no answer.  The thread was not unlocked, and no new Warships.Today thread was started.

Therefore, the discussion about the Warships.Today website has had to move full time to the WoTLabs forum, where significantly fewer people are likely to see it and participate.  While WoTLabs was very popular for World of Tanks, its small World of Warships community has never really expanded.  There really should be a dedicated Warships.Today thread here on the official forums.

Recently, Warships.Today added stat signatures as a much-requested feature after Warshipstats.com shut down.  The images do not currently work in forum signatures.  The owner believes that there is a "white list" of allowed sites for signature images, and requested that Warships.Today be added to that last so that these images are usable.  Again, no reply, no change, no feedback.

I don't see the Warships.Today staff asking for a front-page link on the portal or a stickied topic here, but allowing them to have an unlocked discussion thread and signature support for a fan site that has seen 50k users per month would make sense, yes?

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I've chatted with both Niko and WarshipsToday in private chat last week. I think they're currently at a lose as to why the sig tags aren't working.

I even suggested a few things to try but so far, not sure why the sigs aren't working. It may actually be a bug in the forum software related to ".today" but I'm just speculating.

So, in answer to your question, WG very quickly whitelisted Warships.Today (last Wednesday?) and it still isn't working.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

WG very quickly whitelisted Warships.Today (last Wednesday?) and it still isn't working.

If so, cool, but it would have made sense to have a brief dev reply in that thread so that people know the problem isn't on their end, if that's the case.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

Let me experiment on my forum.  Right now (mostly default settings) the warship signature works perfectly fine in posts and as a signature. 

sig_test.jpg

This is a good point.  I also have a small website with a working forum, and the Warships.Today sig works fine there, not to mention on the WoTLabs forum.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Maybe WG is pissed about Warshipstats going kaboom?

Members
783 posts
6,554 battles

Just more evidence of WG, doing exactly what Mesrith said: "getting in their own way". Many people are drawn to games like this for the statistical aspect. Sites like Warships.Today enhance the experience for these players. They are giving WG free support, which should be warmly welcomed. Instead, they are shunned. Sad.

Edited by AutismSpeaks

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Therefore, the discussion about the Warships.Today website has had to move full time to the WoTLabs forum, where significantly fewer people are likely to see it and participate.[/url]  While WoTLabs was very popular for World of Tanks, its small World of Warships community has never really expanded.  There really should be a dedicated Warships.Today thread here on the official forums.

And that right there explains why.

Wotlabs, and it's trolling elite, have turned World of Tanks into the most toxic, hateful, mean spirited game on the planet.

Hopefully, Wargaming are making a better effort to keep this place clear of all the third party elitist junk that flat-out ruined World of Tanks.

Edited by Lt_Hunter
No action. Please be nicer to your fellow players
  • Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,738 posts
19,994 battles

Wotlabs, and it's trolling elite, have turned World of Tanks into the most toxic, hateful, mean spirited game on the planet.

Hopefully, Wargaming are making a better effort to keep this place clear of all the third party elitist junk that flat-out ruined World of Tanks.

How is warshipstoday for the trolling elite? How people use 3rd party sites does not relate to the actual purpose of the site... 

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Well, just pop back over there and do a search on it. You'll find countless thousands of threads about stats, the problems they cause, and who causes them. It's  just awful and has been for years. The abuse and bullying from the XVM/Wotlabs people is beyond the pale.

If it's a "Popular Site" then it doesn't need support. Go over to it and enjoy it. You can have your stats, your trolling, your bullying, insults and all the other junk that goes with it over on your "popular site" without messing this one up with it.

• Cool 1

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

it was the same small group of players who were the most toxic and offensive stat shamers.

And every last one of them is still there. And every last one of them uses the Wotlabs sigs. Nothing has changed.

As I said before, if it's a "POPULAR" site for you and your ilk, then have at it. Go to it. Have fun with it. This site doesn't exist to support "your popular site". It's here to support this game and it's players.

That's all there is to it.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Well, just pop back over there and do a search on it. You'll find countless thousands of threads about stats, the problems they cause, and who causes them. It's  just awful and has been for years. The abuse and bullying from the XVM/Wotlabs people is beyond the pale.

If it's a "Popular Site" then it doesn't need support. Go over to it and enjoy it. You can have your stats, your trolling, your bullying, insults and all the other junk that goes with it over on your "popular site" without messing this one up with it.

Seems like there is only one person bullying and insulting in this thread. 
  • Cool 4

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

That's not possible.  I learned here and on the WoT forums that stat-haters are always the innocent, oppressed party, and that people using stat sites are always stat-shaming internet bullies.  Also, no internet gaming community that didn't have stat sites has ever been declared "toxic" by members of that community.
  • Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Honestly, I think stats are over rated in this game...but then I suck...:teethhappy:

But have to agree here, there is no reason not to allow stat sigs in the forums. They've been here forever, and as forums go, they haven't seemed to add toxicity, so why not allow them?

• Cool 1

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

I think you might be surprised if you added up all the players on this forum who had a version of some sort of stat signature.   I think you would find that they are a significant percentage of the players who actually use this forum... so yes, I do think there's a responsibility on WG's part to accommodate websites such as warships.today with a simple thing like allowing an img to be posted from that site, as long as it doesn't violate any forum or game rules.  It's only common sense and courtesy to encourage fan site participation in your game.

And oddly none of those sites are on here begging for support, are they? They're just there. Where they are. Anybody that wants can use them. They don't ask for anything, and you don't see people from those sites on here trolling away at will and insulting anybody that dares posts anything they don't agree with, do you?

Of course not.

If your "popular site" needs to have its hand held by Wargaming when none of the others do, then maybe that site isn't nearly as "popular" as you think.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
10,282 battles

If your "popular site" needs to have its hand held by Wargaming when none of the others do, then maybe that site isn't nearly as "popular" as you think.

50k monthly visitors for a game that might total that many active players across all servers combined on a given night seems pretty good to me.

"Hand holding" = allowing the site to have the same image access as other previous sites and not locking a large discussion thread without comment.  Alright.

I'm sorry that mean people on the internet with good stats have apparently bullied you in other games.  Those people aren't us.  You can crusade elsewhere.

• Cool 3

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

50k monthly visitors for a game that might total that many active players across all servers combined on a given night seems pretty good to me.

"Hand holding" = allowing the site to have the same image access as other previous sites and not locking a large discussion thread without comment.  Alright.

I'm sorry that mean people on the internet with good stats have apparently bullied you in other games.  Those people aren't us.  You can crusade elsewhere.

And there's Exhibit A on the very attitude I mentioned. Well done.
  • Cool 1

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

And there's Exhibit A on the very attitude I mentioned. Well done.

Mesrith is an incredibly nice guy and of all the elite players in this game, he is one of the few who won't stat shame you or treat you with disrespect because you are new or because you play like garbage.  It's funny that he would be the one you think is exhibiting any kind of negative attitude.  Your response is exactly what the good players expect of the community's new and/or garbage players.  You have less than 100 battles played and 82 forum posts.  Instead of whining about elitism, why your stats are bad and why good players are "entitled" how about you actually play the game and get better.

Because nobody else has said it and Mesrith is too much of a gentleman to do it, I'll give you some advice.

Go away peon.  Shoo!!  Git.  Your stats are bad.  You are bad.  You should feel bad.  Now go away so the grownups can talk.

There, now you have someone with a negative attitude you can whine and complain about.  Go along and tell mommy that someone on the interwebz was mean to you.  

Edited by Lt_Hunter
No action taken
  • Cool 3

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

It's a little sad how a thread about a legitimate issue was so quickly derailed into a stats and toxicity argument.

I had no idea the Warships.Today thread was locked, I had thought it just died down. That's a little concerning, I don't see any reason why it should have been locked.

I also don't see why we can't get some acknowledgement from WG as to the stat signatures; it was a widely used feature of Warshipstats and now that that site is down it seems only logical for signatures from Warships.Today to be allowed.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Another issue is wowreplays.com last time I checked I could not use images from the replays posted there on the forum here. Photos uploaded there shouldnt be blocked on this forum. 

And oddly none of those sites are on here begging for support, are they? They're just there. Where they are. Anybody that wants can use them. They don't ask for anything, and you don't see people from those sites on here trolling away at will and insulting anybody that dares posts anything they don't agree with, do you?

Of course not.

You dont even know the issue and yet you are trolling and insulting people here. How is that any different than the behavior that drove you away from the other games? 

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

I haven't insulted anybody personally at all. I've simply stated the truth: that the whole Wotlabs stat system and it's advocates has always caused and is still causing nothing but insults and bullying and always has, and that since it's the same people doing this, that could be why they've blocked it.

It is you people calling me names, insulting me personally and making a huge scene (as usual) over this...which sort of lends itself to my idea being pretty accurate, does it not?

• Cool 1

[WG]
[WG]
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

Your very first post in this thread is an attack on Mesrith. Up until that point, the thread had been nothing but constructive discussion. I suggest you take a step back and look at your own posting.
  • Cool 1

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Your very first post in this thread is an attack on Mesrith

I don't even know who that is. I spoke of the site and it's elitist members as a collective. That you start naming people I don't even know in some vain attempt to justify the very toxic behavior that we all know and has even been admitted on this thread by that collective is beyond the pale.

The simple fact that is irrefutable is that that site and the people who frequent it have always and continue to this day to cause nothing but problems on the WoT forum. Is it really any stretch of the imagination that Wargaming had rather not see that same kind of mess be injected into this one?

I mean, I know they're your buddies and you must defend them no matter what, but come on. It makes perfect sense...unless, of course, empathy is not a gift you possess even in the slightest degree.

• Cool 1

[WG]
[WG]
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

I don't even know who that is. I spoke of the site and it's elitist members as a collective. That you start naming people I don't even know in some vain attempt to justify the very toxic behavior that we all know and has even been admitted on this thread by that collective is beyond the pale.

The simple fact that is irrefutable is that that site and the people who frequent it have always and continue to this day to cause nothing but problems on the WoT forum. Is it really any stretch of the imagination that Wargaming had rather not see that same kind of mess be injected into this one?

I mean, I know they're your buddies and you must defend them no matter what, but come on. It makes perfect sense...unless, of course, empathy is not a gift you possess even in the slightest degree.

Mesrith is the person whose post you quoted. You know, the original poster?

Specifically, the content of his post that you quoted was regarding the wotlabs discussion, which you essentially called  "trolling", "toxic" and "mean spirited". This contributes absolutely nothing to the topic of this thread, which is on why Warships.Today, despite being one of the most popular WoWs fansites, has received little to no support, and in the case of the forum thread dedicated to it been hindered by, Wargaming. If you have some irrefutable proof as to why discussion of stats and stats signatures leads to toxic game communities, I would encourage you to post it in a separate thread for discussion. Until then, please refrain from launching irrelevant attacks on constructive posts.

• Cool 2

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

How do you figure that suggesting all the issues that site and it's members caused could be why the ships site is getting blocked is a personal insult to him?

And you people accuse others of having thin skin? Wow. Just wow.

• Cool 1

Members
305 posts
9,717 battles

Gomez, you aren't all right. And sure look like a troll here.

I have used stat sites many times It really helps when someone in my game (dead btw) is trying to chat me up because I'm still alive trying to win.

I can quickly check to see how good their advice may be. Especially the ones talking smack, because that does happen after some people lose their ship.

Stat sites have their place, toxic players are going to toxic.

EDIT: 

Back on topic, the thread locking is curious. I would hope this is a kind of dead zone in "community relations" that can be filled.

Edited by parkergps