DoctorTeitoku

WoWS Mac Wrapper Bugs and Feedback Thread

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

339 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Texas_Vet said:

I sent an email to codeweavers Tech Support.  The response was that the fix is in the 2.012 version of the Mac app.  He suggested to download that version from the World of Warships web site, install it over my current version.

1.  Performed the download function.  2. Did the copy/install over the existing wrapper.  3.  Launch of the application failed.  So,

1.  Used a Mac home made utility from someone at WoT, called the Study Utility.  2.  Cleaned my Mac of WoW.  3. Downloaded, and launched the installer.  Success!

I used the Study Utility that someone on the World of Tanks side of the isle created to clean my mac of WoW.  Sometimes, a clean install is best.  Sometimes a patch/simple update will work just fine as well.  For this situation, for me, a clean install worked.

This worked! Thanks!

Greetings!

If you have any problems with 0.6.9 and WoWs wrapper (like games crashed on startup or login) please delete all mods(if you ever used them) and manually check integrity of WoWs client:

1) Open the WoWs launcher and go to Settings 
2) Click on Support tab and press the button 'Check'

3) Press 'Continue'

4) Let the Integrity check run until its complete.

If it doesn't work for you or if you didn't play for a long time ( more then 2 weeks), please, do these steps:

1) Fully delete WorldOfWarships.app with AppCleaner

2) Download the latest WoWs wrapper on official site https://worldofwarships.com/

3) Install it and try to launch the game

Please feel free to contact me by PM if you need further assistance !  We apologize for the inconvenience.

@velvet_velour

Thanks!  Always encouraging to see active support of the Mac Wrapper from WoWs.

If I may add my $.02, doing a full delete and then reinstalling the wrapper and game from scratch has been an essential step me with the past few game updates.  But as long as I do this, the recent versions of the game + Mac Wrapper have been very stable for me.  The graphic performance is good considering my system stats, and only very rarely have I experienced any issues such as lag, let alone a full-out crash.  I suspect the few times I have gotten booted out of a game it's been due to an interruption in my internet connection, rather than an issue with the Wrapper or game, as such.

I do the full delete manually, navigating into the Library folder and deleting the game files myself, but AIUI AppCleaner does basically the same thing.  I just don't completely trust automated "cleanup" programs so I prefer to take the time to do it myself.

One tip I learned the hard way:  If you do the full delete manually, make sure to empty your trash once you're done as unlike the automated update process, deleting the game manually and then re-installing does not automatically completely delete the old files; they just go into your trash.  The game files take up quite a lot of drive space and if you leave old copies sitting around in your trash, you'll likely find yourself running out of free disk space.

I'm on a mac, and have had no problems playing the game until now. I've done the full wipe with app cleaner and reinstall. I've ended the update client before logging in, the game loads fine, the wrapper is updated, all that stuff seems to be working fine. My problem is that as soon as the game loads into the port, it's like the internet connection is totally throttled. Port graphics won't load, clicking buttons (such as to alter settings, or select the tech tree) have a palpable lag, in some cases 2 or 3 seconds. When I've tried to just gut through the issue and start a match, the problem persists...as if I'm running off a 56k modem instead of of 120Mbps d/l and 12 Mbps u/l. The game is unplayable,with 0FPs and mad lag. This has never happened before the update, and is consistently happening every single time after the update. I'm not running any other programs, no mods at all. I can confirm that in the settings, the api is set to dx9. I'm currently set in the lowest graphics mode, and have tried windowed and full screen...but it doesn't seem to be a graphics issue as much as a data transmission issue. I don't know?!?! Any ideas?

7 hours ago, velvet_velour said:

Greetings!

If you have any problems with 0.6.9 and WoWs wrapper (like games crashed on startup or login) please delete all mods(if you ever used them) and manually check integrity of WoWs client:

3) Press 'Continue'

If it doesn't work for you or if you didn't play for a long time ( more then 2 weeks), please, do these steps:

2) Download the latest WoWs wrapper on official site https://worldofwarships.com/

Please feel free to contact me by PM if you need further assistance !  We apologize for the inconvenience.

thanks 

7 hours ago, velvet_velour said:

Greetings!

3) Press 'Continue'

Did all of this, and now I cant even get the launcher to load. sweet jeebus what a pain. 

I'm on a mac, and have had no problems playing the game until now. I've done the full wipe with app cleaner and reinstall. I've ended the update client before logging in, the game loads fine, the wrapper is updated, all that stuff seems to be working fine. My problem is that as soon as the game loads into the port, it's like the internet connection is totally throttled. Port graphics won't load, clicking buttons (such as to alter settings, or select the tech tree) have a palpable lag, in some cases 2 or 3 seconds. When I've tried to just gut through the issue and start a match, the problem persists...as if I'm running off a 56k modem instead of of 120Mbps d/l and 12 Mbps u/l. The game is unplayable,with 0FPs and mad lag. This has never happened before the update, and is consistently happening every single time after the update. I'm not running any other programs, no mods at all. I can confirm that in the settings, the api is set to dx9. I'm currently set in the lowest graphics mode, and have tried windowed and full screen...but it doesn't seem to be a graphics issue as much as a data transmission issue. I don't know?!?! Any ideas? .......

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same problem, I have finally come to the resolution that if my MAC is not the future of WG, then instead of getting a MAC I am getting a PC Laptop (cheap one) that will support this game that is fun and addicting. Is this the answer ? AM I correct in what I am understanding ? does anyone have in ideas other then getting a PC that can solve both me and skeptismo problem ? Take care guys and please help us out if you have the answers to the questions.

On a mac, and I followed the steps Velvet suggested, and now the game loads. However, it crashes almost immediately upon starting a battle, which is probably incredibly annoying for my teammates. Anything I can do? Running latest game client and OSX update.

4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Same problem, I have finally come to the resolution that if my MAC is not the future of WG, then instead of getting a MAC I am getting a PC Laptop (cheap one) that will support this game that is fun and addicting. Is this the answer ? AM I correct in what I am understanding ? does anyone have in ideas other then getting a PC that can solve both me and skeptismo problem ? Take care guys and please help us out if you have the answers to the questions.

Buying a PC just to play WoWS may be a bit extreme but it is a solution. Have you tried using Bootcamp and installing Windows? That seems to work for some, and would be a bit cheaper. Really up to you. 

The Mac Wrapper should not (or at least upon my last check) support Dx 11, and it runs on Dx 9.

In the latest game update, the game transitioned over to Dx 11 from Dx 9.

That should be the source of quite a few problems the Mac users are having, but I do not know enough about Mac OS and wrappers to help anyone out.

Edited by HowitzerBlitzer

27 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Buying a PC just to play WoWS may be a bit extreme but it is a solution. Have you tried using Bootcamp and installing Windows? That seems to work for some, and would be a bit cheaper. Really up to you. 

Would the HP Z8 Workstation be good enough to run WOWs on?

Think it only has 36-40 cores in it though.

17 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I honestly don't know, my knowledge of PC's is really dated. I looked into building one almost a year ago but have a friend of mine who understands it all helping me. We decided it would be easier (and cheaper) just to upgrade my Mac so scrapped the PC build plan. Besides didn't want my den to turn into something that looked like a command center for NORAD. 

Edited by Taylor3006

The way I see it, there's no one that has a solution to our problem (me and skeptismo), which means WG is doing away slowly with the MAC gaming community. THe writing has been on the wall since two updates ago. Get a PC or your not going to be able to play the game even in very low graphic setting. I have the impression and its only my amateur opinion, this problem will only get worse according to WG statements on how the game is moving forward graphically. Today, with the recent update it was me and skeptismo, next update will be others that wont escaped WG wrath on the MAC gaming community.

I for one am turning in the white flag FRenchie style and getting a cheap PC laptop (yuck!). IF WG can contact me and skeptismo on how this can be fix other then what they already told us to do. Its the only solution to avoid conflicts that WG is trying to tell us in a girlie non direct way to get a PC.

Am I wrong guys ?

Well considering that it is a third party that keeps the Wargaming titles running on on Macs I tend to agree Navalpride. I suppose that if they (Codeweavers) ever gets bored with keeping it going, the games will become unplayable at some point unless a motivated player decides to take on the responsibility. I would caution my fellow Mac users about making long term purchases like lots of premium time or premium ships while there is so much uncertainty about our future with the game. 

It's actually pretty stupid of Wargaming to get rid of the Mac community since on average the Mac users have more cash on hand or at least the gamers I have known that were more than willing to spend 4 or 5 digit amounts of cash on games. PCs are often far cheaper to buy so if somebody does not have much money will be more likely to get a cheap PC.

14 hours ago, velvet_velour said:

It works now. I think that using AppCleaner to make sure ALL support files were deleted did the trick.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not really sure why you're looking at core count to determine gaming performance... You could have a 48-core computer that runs WoWS worse than a two-core one.

2 hours ago, Legendary_Typo said:

Not really sure why you're looking at core count to determine gaming performance... You could have a 48-core computer that runs WoWS worse than a two-core one.

I think they were being facetious. 

Removing and reinstalling worked for me on my MacBook Pro

14 hours ago, CleanupAisle7 said:

On a mac, and I followed the steps Velvet suggested, and now the game loads. However, it crashes almost immediately upon starting a battle, which is probably incredibly annoying for my teammates. Anything I can do? Running latest game client and OSX update.

Try setting the graphics down to low.

As of right now, I think an update to the MAC Requirements page in order, the minimums requirements now =  to the Recommended, and even then there is no guarantee it will work after the next update. I am still unable to play and I know I have the minimum requirements at least (same issue as skeptismo and my last post, uninstalled and re installed WOWS 2 times after 12 hrs of waiting same results). The way War gaming wants to go graphically, the minimums now (Intel i3 and the Intel core i5) which are obsolete with this latest update, will be consequently getting to the point where its not only cheaper and economical getting a cheap PC (yuck I need a shower even saying that phrase) instead of dealing with low or medium graphic levels on a MAC. My fellow macs, if you can play the game after this update enjoy it while you can, sooner or later your mac will no longer be able to play even at low graphic levels. RIP 2011 MAC machines.. It was fun, 

(RIP Intel i3 and Intel  core i5 gamer's). WOWS no longer will support your services)

Parameter

Minimum Requirements

Recommended

Operating System:

OS 10.7.5 or better

10.10 or better

Processor(CPU):

Intel Core i3

Processor: Intel Core i5

Active Memory(RAM):

2 GB (2.5 GB for configuration with integrated video)

> 4 GB

Graphics Card(GPU):

Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT

IntelHD 3000

AMD 4850 HD

VRAM: 512 MB

Minimal supported resolution - 1280*720

Intel HD 5000

AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Nvidia GeForce GT 640M

VRAM: 1024 MB

Screen resolution: 1920*1080

Audio Card:

Compatible with DirectX 9.0c

Compatible with DirectX 9.0c

Free Space on Hard Drive:

42 GB

42 GB

Internet Connection Speed:

1024 Kbps or higher

1024 Kbps or higher

5 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

As of right now, I think an update to the MAC Requirements page in order, the minimums requirements now =  to the Recommended, and even then there is no guarantee it will work after the next update. I am still unable to play and I know I have the minimum requirements at least (same issue as skeptismo and my last post, uninstalled and re installed WOWS 2 times after 12 hrs of waiting same results). The way War gaming wants to go graphically, the minimums now (Intel i3 and the Intel core i5) which are obsolete with this latest update, will be consequently getting to the point where its not only cheaper and economical getting a cheap PC (yuck I need a shower even saying that phrase) instead of dealing with low or medium graphic levels on a MAC. My fellow macs, if you can play the game after this update enjoy it while you can, sooner or later your mac will no longer be able to play even at low graphic levels. RIP 2011 MAC machines.. It was fun, 

Lol I know what you mean about PC since had to use PC Laptop for school and it would crash at bad times and sometimes took days to get it back up., I am waiting to see how WOWs Blitz turns out before I do anything rash like... ugh getting... a PC

World of Tanks Blitz turned out pretty well so I am hopeful for WOWs Blitz. Armor for example in WOT Blitz tends to often be better for example so in WOWs Blitz ships that have had the life nerfed out of them in WOWs PC might be restored.

2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol I know what you mean about PC since had to use PC Laptop for school and it would crash at bad times and sometimes took days to get it back up., I am waiting to see how WOWs Blitz turns out before I do anything rash like... ugh getting... a PC

I mean, you do realize there's more laptops out there than the one you specifically used for school, right? Just because your experience with your school PC was mediocre doesn't mean all laptop PCs are unusable scum, you've got plenty of other options out there.

4 hours ago, Legendary_Typo said:

I mean, you do realize there's more laptops out there than the one you specifically used for school, right? Just because your experience with your school PC was mediocre doesn't mean all laptop PCs are unusable scum, you've got plenty of other options out there.

The PC I used was top of the line in an effort to avoid problems and yet still ran into a ton of them. I have had experience with many other PCs and they all had problems and pretty much everyone I have met has had their share of PC woes.

1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The PC I used was top of the line in an effort to avoid problems and yet still ran into a ton of them. I have had experience with many other PCs and they all had problems and pretty much everyone I have met has had their share of PC woes.

PCs can be weird. "Top of the line" isn't always actually the best option, and I've personally never had any problem with the four PC's I've used extensively in the past, at least nothing that wasn't caused by user error. Meanwhile, I've had plenty of frustrations with the OS X computers I've used.

Honestly, as long as you actually do a decent amount of research, and look at what other people's experiences, PCs can be a lot less annoying than you've experienced. Windows 10 may not be the best OS, but I'd personally still take it over MacOS, and not just because I'm a part of the "PCMR."

A full reinstall managed to fix that crash-on-startup for the 6.9 update.

Everything seemed alright at first--with the exception of pop-ups and damage numbers seeming like they were moving in slow motion-I was even getting around 20+ more frames than usual.

However after dicking around in lower tiers for a few matches to get my head back into the game, I jumped into a t9 match and... froze so badly that I couldn't even tab out of the game. So, I forced a quit using alt-comm-q, booted the game back up, waited through the map loading screen and crashed again immediately, this time to desktop. No error messages or crash reports. Loaded in a third time and managed to play for around 5 minutes before getting another CTD without any crash report.

Before, I could play maybe one or two games back-to-back without crashing (with an error message), but it seems to be happening a lot more frequently lately, and seems to happen more in higher tier matches.

Could really use a hand with this; I've got no idea what's going on.