NyxWGA

Illegal Mods and Consequences

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

385 posts in this topic

Aslains modpack is safe right o.O

I believe everything is Aslains is cool (folks please correct me if I am wrong!). We are absolutely not here to trick you by not telling what is illegal and then banning you. If you are unsure about something, please send us an inquiry and we will let you know for sure.

I promise that my goal is not to just ban folks! We only want to prevent people from deliberately using things that are outright cheats. If you are unsure about a mod, send a ticket. You can mark my name on it, if you like, We will get back to you with a concrete answer. We're not trying to surprise you and ban you. We only want to change the behavior of those who are using a program that is totally unfair - we don't want to get rid of players who are unsure!

The only thing that may be remotely considered unfair is the last known position and heading mod. It seems to be borderline, depending on people's definition of "unfair." Everything else is pretty much cosmetic.

This is available on the minimap planned for the next major update. You can see it if you check out the currently going public test. I think it is safe to say WG is okay with this one. Sorry.

The only thing that may be remotely considered unfair is the last known position and heading mod. It seems to be borderline, depending on people's definition of "unfair." Everything else is pretty much cosmetic. 

I think last known position may be added into the vanilla client as it is in WoT.

Not sure if the heading mod works. Heard that its broken.

This is available on the minimap planned for the next major update. You can see it if you check out the currently going public test. I think it is safe to say WG is okay with this one. Sorry.

I think last known position may be added into the vanilla client as it is in WoT.

Not sure if the heading mod works. Heard that its broken.

Sweet. At least that means its a-okay I guess.  Edited by INoCU

I believe everything is Aslains is cool (folks please correct me if I am wrong!). We are absolutely not here to trick you by not telling what is illegal and then banning you. If you are unsure about something, please send us an inquiry and we will let you know for sure.

I promise that my goal is not to just ban folks! We only want to prevent people from deliberately using things that are outright cheats. If you are unsure about a mod, send a ticket. You can mark my name on it, if you like, We will get back to you with a concrete answer. We're not trying to surprise you and ban you. We only want to change the behavior of those who are using a program that is totally unfair - we don't want to get rid of players who are unsure!

Thanks for the update Nyx :D

Love from the ASIA server

I want to assure you that for myself, at least, you don't have to worry about that. What I was getting pissy about - and I'm sure many others were - was the blantant show and use of these hacks in game. I remember even watching some youtuber show this crap off and it really irked me. I play without Mods, much like you mentioned in your prior post, and and I severally distrust anyone who does because it feels like they're trying to gain an advantage; mods dealing with changing aesthetics are the exception, as they are dealing with how things look.

Regardless, this news, along with more premium selections, has made me a very happy customer/player of Wargaming. I'm extremely satisfied you guys are actually listening to the player base - and not just the people with "special" tags.

Well I can tell you for certain that anything that includes an aim assist mod is on the list. If it has other components and you want to tell me that "I've disabled that part, I swear" I don't want to hear it. I play all WG games with zero mods (possibly because I come from console where they aren't possible) but there is nothing SO CRUCIAL in your life that you must use an illegal mod to get it. Hell, if there is part of an illegal package that you want, like some crosshair thing, post on the forums asking for someone to provide it without the other parts that are illegal. Pretty sure someone can hook you up.

Now that you have added cross hairs, my major reason for using Aslian is gone. Still would like more data, but looks like you've addressed that in 5.6 so....Well done...:teethhappy: Edited by awiggin

Thank You, Thank you, Thank You... ad infinitum 

While I personally can't say I have ever seen anyone using one or been hit with one. Removing those who cheat can only help the community. 

Great to see you guys taking action against this kind of stuff. 

It's about time, all mods should be banned and the people responsible made to walk the walk of shame

It's about time, all mods should be banned and the people responsible made to walk the walk of shame

A bit too far don't you think?

Not all mods are bad.

Great.  I have never understood why, as the thread states, people would cheat to win in a video game. How the hell can you feel good about your gameplay if it is, in part, dependent on cheating? Just do not understand people like that. 

Thanks guys!

I have to admit I was a little nervous to post this, considering how upset some folks were previously. But not so nervous that I wasn't going to do it, because it's the right thing to do. I am a gamer through and through, just like you. People who cheat piss me off, just like you. I get it that people want to win, but cheating is just a super lame way to do it in my opinion. I'd rather be unpopular while standing up for what I think is right, than popular for paying lip service to crap that I don't really believe in!

And this isn't just about me - Wargaming is taking this stand - I am just the messenger but I whole heartedly support it.

I believe you made the right decision. I believe everyone deserve a 2nd chance if they get caught cheating, hopefully they will change their ways. But if they don't learn the first time, well you know :trollface:

Great.  I have never understood why, as the thread states, people would cheat to win in a video game. How the hell can you feel good about your gameplay if it is, in part, dependent on cheating? Just do not understand people like that. 

Then you don't understand 30% of the population...:trollface:

When my son was growing up, the first thing he'd do is look for cheats and hacks for games he played....used to drive me nuts.

The win at all costs mentality seems to be very prevalent these days, so player trying to get an advantage shouldn't really surprise anyone... 

Edited by awiggin

Forgive me but I"m calling Bull on this statement by WG.....:sceptic:

Mr Nyx, you do know that saying WG is going to do something and  actually following through with it, is another right? In the past WG has said many things and have failed to follow through with promises to crack down on cheating, a prime example is WOT's 1st and 2nd campaign where certain clans (can't name do to Forum Rules)  cheated by rigging matches. When WG was confronted with these claims of cheating, they claimed they would punish the clans who were involved but instead ended up doing nothing causing a huge divide in the player population. Now granted, when the 3rd campaign kicked off there were a large amount of clans that got kicked out of the event for rigging, but by this time most of the trust players had towards WG was gone.

My point is this, unless WG were to implement a wall of shame, and start making an example of players who break forum/in-game rules by listing what they did wrongshowing how long they were suspected of doing said wrong doings, and how long they will be banned for, no one can or will believe that you are truly making a difference to make the game more fun and fair to play. 

and before you stat quoting " we can't have a wall of shame ,we don't have the rights to do that action", you need to remember this, every update players have to sign a waver stating we will follow the rules and blah blah blah excessive legal stuff. You can't tell me that in this long, legal, garbal of text, you guys/gals can't input a part that says " oh btw if you break any of these rules and are caught red handed with overwhelming evidence, you will be made an example of and put on a wall of shame and banned for a set period of time" into your contract? this type of excuse is just laziness :sceptic:

My major concern is that you might ban someone by mistake for a harmless mod. Are you sure your methods of hunting for aim assist users is fool proof?

This right here is pretty disheartening.

Aslain has been the most respected and #1 source of mods to this community (as well as his work in WoT) and you guys have not even confirmed if what is included in his mod pack is acceptable?!  Before starting these sanctions?!

Just today i was answering questions from a newish player who wasn't even sure aim assist was OK or not.  After the usual dog pile from the forum regulars, some of us did mention that World of Tanks itself has both a built in aim assist and auto aim function, so it CAN be easy for players who do not frequent forums to know what is kosher and what is not.

I'm as much in favor of active policing as the next guy, but this is an important point.  A list of greenlighted mods (even if everything under Aslain's modpack or of one category is one blanket item on the list) would be highly appreciated, and IMO should be sent along with every email that delivers a notice of punishment for illegal mod usage/hacking.

Edited by TenguBlade

Thanks everyone for your support on this. You are all awesome. We will continue to keep moving forward in our push to keep this game not only enjoyable but fair as well. We've had two major announcements this week to help increase your enjoyment and the overall positive reaction means everything. Thank you all!!!

this type of excuse is just laziness 

I wouldnt call the WoWS Team lazy.

They've done more to stop cheating than WoT ever did.

Way to go WoWS Team! I am all for getting rid of the hacking or mods or whatever. I have no tolerance for cheaters. If caught they need to be identified so others can know them in the games. They should be punished and if caught again then banned permanent. Thanks for all your work on making this game more enjoyable.

My major concern is that you might ban someone by mistake for a harmless mod. Are you sure your methods of hunting for aim assist users is fool proof?

We worked for an extensive an amount of time to understand these mods and we feel very confident that we have hit the correct people. We lightened the touch here. We could have been more strict, but we wanted to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that we had the right people. I will admit freely that there are people who are guilty who did not receive consequences because we were not ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN. The list was smaller than I expected, so I am confident that people who were guilty went unpunished - it's not that I wanted that to happen, but I recognize that we do NOT want to give out consequences UNLESS WE ARE SURE.

There has never been any legal reason why any game company has not been allowed to post the user names of people they have banned.   There's no slander or other nefarious actions involved.  It's just a simple statement of action (using illegal mod) and reaction (banned) that has a very strong result, IMO.  Sad fact is, most companies do not have the nerve to do these lists because they actually still want these people's money. 

One of the most inspiring recent actions I saw a game developer take against cheaters was when John Smedley banned almost 30,000 H1Z1 players after being caught cheating and then offered to let them play again if they publicly admitted to cheating and apologized,   He then posted those video apologies on his twitter account.

I know the perception is that we don't want to scare off paying players. I want to stress that is not what is happening here. The majority of players that were banned in this incident were in the top percentage of paying players. These kind of players are, in fact, the kind of players that pay my salary. But I want to reassure you that just because you pay us money, doesn't mean you get to get away with things that the average player does not. Paying us money does not give you a free pass to act inappropriately.

Please note that there are federal privacy laws that we are working to adhere to. What we feel adheres to the law, and what someone else feels adheres to the law may be different. Only time will tell, through a court of law, which of us is correctly adhering to the law. In general, what we really want is to adhere to the law correctly, while still revealing as much info that the rest of the players want to hear.

Edited by NyxWGA

We worked for an extensive an amount of time to understand these mods and we feel very confident that we have hit the correct people. We lightened the touch here. We could have been more strict, but we wanted to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that we had the right people. I will admit freely that there are people who are guilty who did not receive consequences because we were not ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN. The list was smaller than I expected, so I am confident that people who were guilty went unpunished - it's not that I wanted that to happen, but I recognize that we do NOT want to give out consequences UNLESS WE ARE SURE.

I know the perception is that we don't want to scare off paying players. I want to stress that is not what is happening here. The majority of players that were banned in this incident were in the top percentage of paying players. These kind of players are, in fact, the kind of players that pay my salary. But I want to reassure you that just because you pay us money, doesn't mean you get to get away with things that the average player does not. Paying us money does not give you a free pass to act inappropriately.

Please note that there are federal privacy laws that we are working to adhere to. What we feel adheres to the law, and what someone else feels adheres to the law may be different. Only time will tell, through a court of law, which of us is correctly adhering to the law. In general, what we really want is to adhere to the law correctly, while still revealing as much info that the rest of the players want to hear.

Nyx, is there a any way that Niko or yourself could post and pin a list of criteria for what constitutes an illegal mod (as in what types of mods are prohibited)?