LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Molotov

279 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
6,632 battles

However, the ballistic qualities and damage of the shells are those found on the tier 9 Dmitri Donskoi, not the Kirov.  This provides the Molotov with a 15% rate of fire increase over the Kirov for 4.6rpm.  That would be advantageous in of itself, but the shells also have better ballistic qualities, with a muzzle velocity that's 120m/s faster than that of the Kirov's 800m/s.  This makes it easier to put shells on target at range with less lead time.  And if that weren't enough, there's more.  The Molotov's AP shells hit almost 8% harder, with an alpha strike of 4400 per shell instead of 4100.

That's absurd.

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,700 posts
8,792 battles

That's absurd.

It's what makes the ship.  It took a while to find the right balance for the Molotov.  The guns were originally better, which was downright insane.  At 4.6rpm and the incredible ballistics of her shells will make her dream for players that pick her up.

• Cool 4

Members
81 posts
3,097 battles

Looks like a worth while buy really. The Kutuzov and Murmansk in all respects are probably better tier for tier, but it just looks like a damn fun ship that would perform on par, or better than her tier 6 counterparts - especially the Aoba. 

Any idea on what the AA rating will be? 

[HINON]
Supertester
21,527 posts
15,283 battles

MFW another one of these appears

K6VRAnr.gif

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
10,700 posts
8,792 battles

Looks like a worth while buy really. The Kutuzov and Murmansk in all respects are probably better tier for tier, but it just looks like a damn fun ship that would perform on par, or better than her tier 6 counterparts - especially the Aoba. 

Any idea on what the AA rating will be? 

-EDIT-  Helps if I look at all five of her AA mounts.

I can tell you.  Stock it's 21. 

• The longest range AA guns are her dual purpose 100mm with 17dps at 3.5km.
  • Next come the 45mm at 2.5km off with a dps of 12. 
  • She has 46dps from her 37mm guns at a 2.0km range.
  • Then she has twelve 12.7mm machine guns with a 1.2km range that add another 18dps.

So you have a grand total of 93dps at 3.5km to start.  Even with a good Captain and the proper modules, you're not going to do very much with that, even with self defense.

In my opinion, the Molotov is better than either the Murmansk or Mikhail Kutuzov.  The Molotov will do more damage, tier for tier.  Damage = experience.  Her guns are that good.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,527 posts
15,283 battles

In my opinion, the Molotov is better than either the Murmansk or Mikhail Kutuzov.  The Molotov will do more damage, tier for tier.  Damage = experience.  Her guns are that good.

Having played all three I can add to that that Murmansk and Kutuzov are more forgiving. Molotov has a higher skill ceiling, but also a higher skill floor. It will shine in the hands of very good cruiser payers, but sink in those of players who aren't quite good enough.

[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,520 posts
17,813 battles

Nice review.  No Lert box this time???

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,276 battles

A very tempting buy... I didn't much care for the Kirov though. I prefer something that doesn't always get one-shooted. However, with the rate of firing being more forgiving, maybe I'll give it a purchase.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,527 posts
15,283 battles

No Lert box this time???

I wasn't comfortable enough with the ship to write an accurate account. It's the high skill floor / skill ceiling nature of the ship, I just couldn't drive it to a standard where I would feel comfortable telling other people about it.

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles

Trivia:

Molotov was a sister ship of Project 26bis - Maxim Gorky, a new and improved subclass of Kirov. But Molotov is one-of-the-kind among the sisters. Not only she received extra armor, but also received stern parts from two Chapayev-class during wartime repair. She also among the first batch of warships to receive their home-built air warning system and gunnery radar.

In terms of AA loadout, it is a mix of stock and wartime refit.

Nice review, by the way. Although this seemed a little "rushed".

PS: Trial top speed was recorded 36.72 knots instead of Kirov's 35.94 knots.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[WG-CC]
10,700 posts
8,792 battles

Nice review, by the way. Although this seemed a little "rushed".

I'm always happy to hear feedback -- give me your criticism!   I needs it! 

This article was ready to be published on May 4th, but I was locked behind my NDA until today to publish it.  For those wondering, I put in 38 games in that time with this ship.  It took a little to fall in love with her, but once I had a handle on her gunnery I couldn't look back.  The only bit of scrambling this article made me do was to fuss over her constantly changing stats.  Her reload rate kept getting (understandably) nerfed.  Her AP shells were also bumped down.  AA power and her rudder shift were also tweaked for the worse.  I had to do some last minute edits to the article this morning to make sure I had all of the stats correct or I would have to have plastered a disclaimer up top saying the review reflected her stats from the testing period rather than how she appears on the live server at the moment.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
2,092 posts
4,883 battles

Great review, personally I'll pass on this one but I did enjoy reading the review.

I can't wait for your Indy review. Thanks for everything you and Lert do for us!

[RST]
Members
827 posts
19,140 battles

Great review as always!  +1

(I saw you testing this in-game on Two Brothers a couple weeks ago - I was too busy getting sunk to say 'hi' or see how you did)

Reading the review - it sounds like this is another ship that encourages the long-range sniping kind of play.  It would be nice if the game had a few more 'tanks' - heavily armored ships with short ranged powerful guns to balance that out.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,889 posts
5,527 battles

Guns better than a Kirov makes it a buy for me.  Loved the Kirov guns (well, except for the reload time) I'm turning into a Cruiser player ti seems, having a blast with the Tier 6 and 7's so far. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
1,766 battles

Excellent review, been waiting on this one for a while.  With all the downsides considered, those guns alone sound like more than enough reason to warrant a purchase from me. :playing:

I did find one part a tad baffling, though:

On a final note, she does ride much higher in the water than the Kirov.  Be careful out there.

Why is this?  Molotov weighs 292 tons more than Kirov when both are at their full load, and also rides 6 inches lower in the water, which makes sense for a slightly heavier ship of otherwise the same dimensions.  Since it appears to be the other way around in this case, hopefully Molotov's ride height will get corrected like has been done with a few other ships.

Also, one last question:  If you had to choose, would you end up going with the rudder or engine durability modification?  During the course of the test, which module did you find more susceptible to getting knocked out?

Members
542 posts
2,984 battles

I wasn't comfortable enough with the ship to write an accurate account. It's the high skill floor / skill ceiling nature of the ship, I just couldn't drive it to a standard where I would feel comfortable telling other people about it.

When Lert the supertester with 4000 battles says that he has a hard time playing it, I take the hint and run away. Nice review LWM!

I'll wait for the Indy.

• Cool 1