Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

Returning to game: Lexington was nerfed?

37 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

I came back to the game a few weeks ago.  I have not really touched my CVs much.  I have Hiryu and Lexington.  However, looking at my old Lexington, I was surprised.  I kept the Standard Spec back then because of the nice 2/1/0 loadout.  But now it's down to 1/1/1... They turned my Tier VIII Lexington from a respectable CV into a Stock Tier VI Independence CVL?

What was up with that?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

You DO realize that it has 1000lb bombs with the max damage of a 14 inch AP citadel?

Max damage of a bomb is about as useful to a CV as knowing the air speed velocity of an unladened swallow.

I came back to the game a few weeks ago.  I have not really touched my CVs much.  I have Hiryu and Lexington.  However, looking at my old Lexington, I was surprised.  I kept the Standard Spec back then because of the nice 2/1/0 loadout.  But now it's down to 1/1/1... They turned my Tier VIII Lexington from a respectable CV into a Stock Tier VI Independence CVL?

What was up with that?

They sure did nerf it. Can't has a USN CV with a utility load out. That challenges IJN supremacy. Don't you know who won the carrier war in the Pacific?
  • Cool 5

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Look on the bright side. Tier 8-10 CV's got a AA buff with it new AA defense consumables. So a Win/win?

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

Look on the bright side. Tier 8-10 CV's got a AA buff with it new AA defense consumables. So a Win/win?

I was never worried about CV sniping at the tiers where I finally got Lexington and Hiryu to.  I got smarter defending against it as well as my opponents.  If anything, low and mid tier CVs are the ones most prone to CV sniping and probably could have used that instead.

Still on Lexington... I loved that 2/1/0 spec.  It was finally a USN spec that had multi-role capability, just like the "Strike" Hiryu, Shokaku.

As for Dive Bombers, meh.  Too RNG.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

The plane changes were pretty good IMO. It really sucked when you had a higher tier CV in a match with you, and 1 of their figher squadrons would steam roll like 1/3 of your total plane capacity because LOL HIGHER TIER HUEHUEHUE!

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

All the loadouts were rebalanced. Aircraft tiers and specs were changed as well.

The 0.5.3 changes were wide-spread.

literally just that one was rebalanced, maybe 1 or two others, not the rebalance we need.

Max damage of a bomb is about as useful to a CV as knowing the air speed velocity of an unladened swallow.

They sure did nerf it. Can't has a USN CV with a utility load out. That challenges IJN supremacy. Don't you know who won the carrier war in the Pacific?

African or European?

More serious note, wanna know what game your playing because unless AA neutralizes it or it gets nuked at the start, I've yet to actually see IJN carriers dominate this game unless they encounter a 0/1/x USN CV because USN fighters stomp IJN planes, especially with the oft abused strafing mechanic. 

But yeah, other than the 1000 pound HE bombs that honestly, do little with RNG, Lexi got nerfed pretty good. Pretty sure at this rate were not going to see the rebalance CV's need till basically everyone stops playing them or someone at WG realizes that these two extremes aren't balance.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

literally just that one was rebalanced, maybe 1 or two others, not the rebalance we need.

I guess if you don't count different planes, then there wasn't much loadout change.

[_REKT]
Members
490 posts
4,096 battles

The high-tier American dive bombers are actually quite fierce.  5.3 did a lot of changes.  The Lex is still usually pretty scary.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

The high-tier American dive bombers are actually quite fierce.  5.3 did a lot of changes.  The Lex is still usually pretty scary.

yeah but the Lex is all or nothing scary. I have a really hard time in mine (fully upgraded with everything by the level 5 skill captain) against Shokakus. If I play the fighter load, I don't have enough squadrons to really hurt the 2/2/2 Shokaku's attack power (people don't seem to realize that even though Lex figthers will win a fight against a Skokaku, the time it takes to clear the Shok fighters means the Shok can just go in and hit with their strike planes freely. Even if they lose all their figthers doing this, they basically get 3 free attacks and the AS carrier gets nothing but 2x dive bombers to deal damage with). If I play strike load out, the 2/2/2 Shokaku can use his figthers pretty well and really lower my ability to deal damage, and his ability to deal damage is only reduced by needed to focus more on the micro of fighters and strike, and not just strike.

Lex is scary, but I'd rather face a Lex with a Shokaku on my team than a Shokaku with a Lex on my team.

• Cool 4

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

yeah but the Lex is all or nothing scary. I have a really hard time in mine (fully upgraded with everything by the level 5 skill captain) against Shokakus. If I play the fighter load, I don't have enough squadrons to really hurt the 2/2/2 Shokaku's attack power (people don't seem to realize that even though Lex figthers will win a fight against a Skokaku, the time it takes to clear the Shok fighters means the Shok can just go in and hit with their strike planes freely. Even if they lose all their figthers doing this, they basically get 3 free attacks and the AS carrier gets nothing but 2x dive bombers to deal damage with). If I play strike load out, the 2/2/2 Shokaku can use his figthers pretty well and really lower my ability to deal damage, and his ability to deal damage is only reduced by needed to focus more on the micro of fighters and strike, and not just strike.

Lex is scary, but I'd rather face a Lex with a Shokaku on my team than a Shokaku with a Lex on my team.

I would have to agree on that.

Side note, that Shokaku Strike Spec is very nice but the funny part is that Hiryu has the same style of Strike Spec, but at Tier VII instead of VIII.  A half-competently played Hiryu is a big PITA for her tiers.

Alpha Tester
4,302 posts
7,932 battles

I'd really consider 2/0/2 Lexington if you want fighters and strike power. Lexington dive bombers put out a great deal of damage, and more importantly having at least two lets you chain fires, which can absolutely make a BB's life hell. I would say that we should get a 1/1/2 Lexington & Ranger and a 2/1/2 Essex. In general having stock with 1 fewer squadron be the generalist CV loadout isn't a good design choice, especially for USN where that comprises a big portion of their capability at any tier.

• Cool 1

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,273 battles

They gutted the Lexington, Essex, and Midway in 0.5.3. Probably because someone sank a dev member in an IJN CV with one.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,302 posts
7,932 battles

They gutted the Lexington, Essex, and Midway in 0.5.3. Probably because someone sank a dev member in an IJN CV with one.

That taking away the 2-TB loadouts had such a deleterious effect on the ships indicates that those loadouts were a problem. The ships should be buffed, but the loadouts should stay gone.

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

African or European?

They made almost all US CV play almost exactly the same with that change and I honestly can't see why they did it. Heck the reason for the change to the Lexington as far as I know is that to many people were just using the stock loadout and WG wanted us to use something else.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

They made almost all US CV play almost exactly the same with that change and I honestly can't see why they did it. Heck the reason for the change to the Lexington as far as I know is that to many people were just using the stock loadout and WG wanted us to use something else.

I'm pretty sure it was still 1/1/1 stock, and 2/1/1 was the fighter-heavy load-out.

Members
1,482 posts
2,386 battles

The easiest way to fix the Lexington's loadouts is to make the 1000lb bombs RNG proof (meaning 100% accuracy by user skill).  Then switch the strike loadout to a 1/1/2.  You'd get more bombs on target so you'd almost get the same amount of alpha damage as a 0/1/3.

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
42 posts
7,007 battles

I'm pretty sure it was still 1/1/1 stock, and 2/1/1 was the fighter-heavy load-out.

No it was 2/1/1 stock and the fighter load out was 2/0/2, so you can see why most Lexi players stuck with the stock configuration. 
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

It's just an awful move.  Lexington before that nerf was the first USN CV that one could look forward to that was on competitive footing with its IJN counterpart.

• Cool 1

Members
1,482 posts
2,386 battles

It's just an awful move.  Lexington before that nerf was the first USN CV that one could look forward to that was on competitive footing with its IJN counterpart.

Yep, AS with torpedo bombers was awsome!

It wouldn't be OP either.  If WG kept it to a 2/1/1, it would be a solid platform!

However, I wouldn't mind if we got a 2/0/2, 1/1/2 with 8DBs :)

• Cool 1

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

Well WG can't allow a USN carrier to actually be competitive against it's counterpart now, can it? You know what? Better nerf it a few more times, just in case.

(Please don't)

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
301 posts

That taking away the 2-TB loadouts had such a deleterious effect on the ships indicates that those loadouts were a problem. The ships should be buffed, but the loadouts should stay gone.

Then take them away from the IJN CV's too.

Sign in to follow this