You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VG_Kairos

Anyone else's Situational Awareness seems bugged?

77 comments in this topic

[ZKMS]
Members
559 posts
11,498 battles

Hard for me to verify this since I mainly play BB and CA passively, but it seems strange on someone's report.

jNh8uH3.png

l7LSsI4.png

Actually I didn't even know there's a 2-3s delay before I read this lol...

https://np.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/4hfv4o/psa_situational_awareness_is_clearly_bugged_right/

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/50464-someone-forgot-to-adjust-situational-awareness-in-055/

• Cool 2

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

To be honest, that sounds like a bullcrap response to a problem that nobody noticed was occurring since the end of alpha testing.  It just strikes me as beyond believable that there has been a 3 second delay for over a year and nobody noticed it until now.  Strikes me as a CYA attitude.

Edited by Pope_Shizzle
  • Cool 2

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

I can 90% guarantee it's not the same as it was before. In a recent Fletcher game the Situational Awareness never popped up as I was being shelled with what was clearly not random fire.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
166 posts
6,247 battles

I've noticed it a few times in my Benson since the patch where a full volley would hit me when I had been in cover for more than 5 seconds which normally doesn't happen.  I didn't think anything of it, I figured it was someone shooting from farther away with a long flight time.  They did mess with the stealth mechanics in 5.5 a little so it could be possible something is off, but I'd have to go into the training room with someone to prove it.

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

Yes this patch has brought on some serious bugs that have not been patched yet. There is a serious case of server lag, and a few times people have mentioned torpedoes going straight through targets (due to desync). SA itself is not bugged, but the detection mechanic is due to server lag.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

I stopped reading when OP said he plays "passively".  Passive players cost you victory. They die last and passively. 

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Definitely noticed it and pretty sure it's not confirmation bias. I've had 2 or 3 instances in the past couple days when I took shots as a DD where logically they shouldn't have been aimed given my last visible position, heading and speed.

• Cool 2

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

I stopped reading when OP said he plays "passively".  Passive players cost you victory. They die last and passively. 

Members
288 posts
7,264 battles

It's a new mechanic introduced, clearly Radars and nerfing IJN torpedoes wasn't enough :P

[ZKMS]
Members
559 posts
11,498 battles

:D

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

Wait what? 2-3s delay between SA icon disappearance and not being seen?

Well yeah, that's what the man said... and here we all thought when it went off we were invisible. Cant wait for videos coming out by the YT folks to prove or disprove this one. :-) 

:popcorn:

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Feels like it's around 10s when I'm in my Atago.

I've already been citadel'd multiple times, because SA said I'm invis, when I'm not.

Now I have to add in an extra 2 throws of rudder shift after SA goes off, because I'm just not sure if I'm invis or not.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

We tested it tonight:

1. When you pop smoke the SA detection icon disappears instantly, but you're still visible for ~10s. Definitely much longer than 2-3s.

2. When you pop smoke while going at 1/4 throttle, you now pop in and out of smoke.

3. If you're on fire, your detection range increases by ~2km (I am pretty sure this was disabled at some point, but now it's back).

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

We tested it tonight:

1. When you pop smoke the SA detection icon disappears instantly, but you're still visible for ~10s. Definitely much longer than 2-3s.

2. When you pop smoke while going at 1/4 throttle, you now pop in and out of smoke.

3. If you're on fire, your detection range increases by ~2km (I am pretty sure this was disabled at some point, but now it's back).

Well that explains a lot, especially the fire. Sure, you'd expect fire to bump detection a bit but 2km? 

The in/out of smoke used to be only at high speed, yah? 

You got video I hope? :-) 

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I've always remembered it being a thing since I started playing in OBT.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Well that explains a lot, especially the fire. Sure, you'd expect fire to bump detection a bit but 2km? 

The in/out of smoke used to be only at high speed, yah? 

You got video I hope? :-) 

The in/out used to happen at 1/2 throttle or higher for higher tier DDs that do ~40kts at full. You could lay down smoke screen at 1/4 while staying undetected. No video, sorry - we were simply testing stuff mentioned on EU forums:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/50464-someone-forgot-to-adjust-situational-awareness-in-055/

[NDA]
Alpha Tester
6,193 posts
4,955 battles

To be honest, that sounds like a bullcrap response to a problem that nobody noticed was occurring since the end of alpha testing.  It just strikes me as beyond believable that there has been a 3 second delay for over a year and nobody noticed it until now.  Strikes me as a CYA attitude.

It's been the same way for years in World of Tanks too.

Every time somebody brings it up, the answer is the 3 second delay is intended.

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

It's been the same way for years in World of Tanks too.

Every time somebody brings it up, the answer is the 3 second delay is intended.

The difference in WoT is that we were told from the start that there was a 3 second delay between when you were first spotted and when the lightbulb came on.  It was even in the tooltip at one point.  This is different.  All of a sudden with this patch, we remain spotted AFTER the light goes off.  WoT was NEVER like that.  WoWS was NEVER like that before.  The notion that this has been the case all along and that 100,000 active players around the world just "missed" it is kind of preposterous.  If WG added the change and forgot to tell us, that's fine.  If its a bug, that's ok too.  But, please, WG, don't lie to us and tell us it was like this all along.  
Edited by Pope_Shizzle
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Right. If you think about it, it's unlikely for the spotted indicator to intentionally disappear any given specific number of seconds in advance of you dropping off. That's because the game is not clairvoyant and can't predict what will happen in the next few seconds, i.e. will you remain undetected or will you for instance fire? Of course, the prediction could be based on all actors maintaining constant course and not firing, but then I ask why? It's not a simple system to make for no apparent gain. No, this whole intentional 3 second delay sounds implausible.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Yeah, I don't understand how that's even possible.

Props to WG for inventing the time machine. :popcorn:

Server Delay 1st Client info 2nd Client info Comment
Detected 3s Detected I spotted you! Pretty standard and how it's worked before.
Stealth 3s Stealth I lost sight of you! Pretty standard and how it's worked before.
Detected 3s Stealth I still see you! You would need a -13s delay for the stealth indicator to kick in 10s before it's actually supposed to.