Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

My very first game in the Königsberg

18 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
1,084 posts
15,997 battles

Not a bad first game if I have to say so myself, but can anyone explain all the no-damage hits against the battleship at the end?

I think I hit him like 30-40 times with HE for no damage.

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

The no damage to that BB is due to the fact the the German ships have very bad HE shells. I believe that it is a balancing factor for their very impressive AP rounds. 

Edited by Incendiary_Tanker

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

View Postepojokke, on 04 May 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

Not a bad first game if I have to say so myself, but can anyone explain all the no-damage hits against the battleship at the end?

Damage saturation. Konigs has VERY good AP, so I would recommend shooting less HE, and more AP. Especially against broadside targets. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,672 battles

Damage saturation. Konigs has VERY good AP, so I would recommend shooting less HE, and more AP. Especially against broadside targets. 

Exactly. If you see HE isn't doing damage, switch to AP. Though as was said, you should have been using AP against a broadside target. 

Members
198 posts
3,613 battles

looked to me like you were aiming at the waterline which is good for ap but when shooting he you want to aim a little higher so that the he hits the superstructure which is more damaging for he fire

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

HE at the hull won't get you decent damage, you're gonna want to hit superstructure to do repeatable damage.  Think of it this way, thickest steel is usually the belt armor, throwing a bunch of HE at that won't do much. But you start throwing it at where the crew sits and they'll have a bad day.

That said, at ranges such as those against a target with minimal deck armor, AP is a good choice.  The fire chance on the German HE is abysmal but the AP rounds while you're not going to do massive damage, you'll still pull off more damage per salvo then with HE.  Plunging fire from the AP shells on the Konig can pull some very surprising numbers.  Nurnberg has the same guns and I managed to pull off a citadel shot on a Tirpitz once with her lol. 

Beta Testers
342 posts
7,681 battles

German HE is comparable to DD HE, absolutely terrible.

No, it's worse.
  • Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
1,084 posts
15,997 battles

Exactly. If you see HE isn't doing damage, switch to AP. Though as was said, you should have been using AP against a broadside target. 

I know that, but I was doing just fine with HE up to the moment I started shooting at the last BB. Every other cruiser and battleship took 2-3K dmg per salvo most of the time.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

There is only one time you ever load HE for a K-berg.

Destroyers.

At ANY other target, use AP. Even battleships.

It gets me huge success.

That being said, if you feel the need for HE vs a Battleship, chuck it at the superstructure, never the hull.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

looked to me like you were aiming at the waterline which is good for ap but when shooting he you want to aim a little higher so that the he hits the superstructure which is more damaging for he fire

Yes, if you want to use  HE, a good general reference is to shoot for the hull/deck line - that point on the ship where the sides connect to the deck. At and above that point is where HE does its business. 

But the Koni? Drop her into AP mode, run at the enemy, make a hard about face and shoot em with your rear guns as you drive away. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Even use AP against BB superstructures. At 10-12km, you can easily knock 4-8K off a New Mex every 6 seconds.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

I know that, but I was doing just fine with HE up to the moment I started shooting at the last BB. Every other cruiser and battleship took 2-3K dmg per salvo most of the time.

It's a secret anti-HE consumable you can buy for BBs... sold on the back streets of Cairo... 
Edited by Herr_Reitz

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I think WG might have stealth nerfed the penetration values on German 150mm shells.

They don't seem to penetrate BB superstructure as well as I remember it doing, even at close ranges.

To me, it looks like the shells are bouncing. HE shells can bounce too, but most people don't seem to realize this.

Members
3,014 posts

:B

Edited by OnTheHouse

[DAS]
Members
1,084 posts
15,997 battles

To me, it looks like the shells are bouncing. HE shells can bounce too, but most people don't seem to realize this.

But bouncing that many in a row?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

But bouncing that many in a row?

I know right?

That's why I put in the first part about a possible stealth nerf against german 150mm shell penetrating strength.

It used to be that Konigsberg could land multiple 1500dmg, per turret, AP salvos against BB superstructures, but in 0.5.5 most of the shells seem to bounce.

Sign in to follow this