Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pulsar51

Do DD's receive preferencial RNG when receiving hit damage?

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
11 posts
8,232 battles

I ask this question because I was recently forced into 4 straight tier 5  battles with a tier 3 St.Louis cruiser.  During the battles I engaged mostly dd's of the tier 4 to 5 range.  I destroyed none of them but did inflected heavy damage to all.  In the last battle I went up against a Kamikaze R and a Clemson.  I scored 18 hit and 7 citadels to the Kamikaze R and 24 hits and 8 citadels to the Clemson.  Seems unbelievable that neither of them were destroyed.  Is this a preference that is given to dd's?  Since most dd's have less that 21 mm of armor almost everything should cause full shell hit point damage.

[SALVO]
Members
28,062 posts
41,751 battles

There are no citadels on DD's, so you couldn't have scored any citadel hits on them.

Also, were you using HE or AP on them?  It's preferable to use HE on DD's because AP rounds have a high chance of over-penetrating and thus causing much less damage.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

There are no citadels on DD's, so you couldn't have scored any citadel hits on them.

Looks at OP (pulsar51)

2773 battles.

Been a registered user since 2012.

Shakes head, slowly walking away from thread.

Edited by CapnCappy
  • Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

When a beta tester that also has more battles than I doesn't know the basic mechanics of the game...smh

Edited by TenguBlade

Beta Testers
11 posts
8,232 battles

Looks at OP (pulsar51)

2773 battles.

Been a registered user since 2012.

Shakes head, slowly walking away from thread.

Well Capn,  Didn't realize you were the commander of the TROLL FLEET!  Seems fitting for you!!
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

I ask this question because I was recently forced into 4 straight tier 5  battles with a tier 3 St.Louis cruiser.  During the battles I engaged mostly dd's of the tier 4 to 5 range.  I destroyed none of them but did inflected heavy damage to all.  In the last battle I went up against a Kamikaze R and a Clemson.  I scored 18 hit and 7 citadels to the Kamikaze R and 24 hits and 8 citadels to the Clemson.  Seems unbelievable that neither of them were destroyed.  Is this a preference that is given to dd's?  Since most dd's have less that 21 mm of armor almost everything should cause full shell hit point damage.

First, as Crucis said, there are no Citadels on DDs.  They have not had them since before the game went live.  [Edit:  You indicate you realize this.]

What you were likely seeing were critical hits, which have nothing to do with citadels.  A citadel is a specific area inside the ship (engine room or magazines).  A penetrating hit to a citadel will always do 100% of the shell's listed damage.  A critical hit is one which takes out or disables a system (e.g., turret, torpedo tube, rudder, etc.).  A critical hit can do this while doing no actual damage to the ship itself.

Likewise, check the link BGrey posted.  Each ship has four sections, and each section has its own set of hit points separate from the overall hit point pool of the ship.  As a section takes damage, it will reach a threshold where additional hits will do reduced damage (you can tell because it starts turning black).  When it takes enough additional damage, additional hits do even less damage (signified by an even more blackened out section).  When the hit points of that section are completely depleted, that section will take no additional damage (the area will be completely blacked out).  This can happen even though the ship itself still has HP left.  Add to that the fact that over penetrations (shots that go completely through the ship and explode outside it) will only do 10% of the listed shell damage, and this is probably what was happening.

if you were using AP against the destroyers, you may have been doing mostly over penetrations, doing only 10% of the damage your shells can do.  Regardless, if you kept hitting the same areas of the ships, you probably started reaching damage thresholds and eventually were doing no damage or only over penetration damage (citadels and over pens, I believe, ignore the status of the section).  Thus, this has nothing to do with RNG.

RNG affects where the shells hit because dispersion is a factor of RNG.  RNG affects whether or not fires or flooding (in the case of torpedoes) start because those are chance to happen events. However, whether a shell pes and what damage it does if it does is solely dependent on where the shell hits and the status of the section hit.  You don't get penetration and damage rolls like you do in WoT.  Hitting a specific area of a specific ship at a specific angle and range with a specific shell will either bounce every time, penetrate every time, or over penetrate every time.  If it pens and hits a citadel, it will either penetrate or not penetrate the citadel every time.  And based on what it does and the status of the section of the ship, it will do the same damage based on those factors every time.  There is no "preferential RNG" at all.

Edited by Sotaudi

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

last night I destroyed a bunch of DDs a lot easier than normal, noticeably easier so I would have to say no.

Beta Testers
11 posts
8,232 battles

First, as Crucis said, there are no Citadels on DDs.  They have not had them since before the game went live.  [Edit:  You indicate you realize this.]

What you were likely seeing were critical hits, which have nothing to do with citadels.  A citadel is a specific area inside the ship (engine room or magazines).  A penetrating hit to a citadel will always do 100% of the shell's listed damage.  A critical hit is one which takes out or disables a system (e.g., turret, torpedo tube, rudder, etc.).  A critical hit can do this while doing no actual damage to the ship itself.

Likewise, check the link BGrey posted.  Each ship has four sections, and each section has its own set of hit points separate from the overall hit point pool of the ship.  As a section takes damage, it will reach a threshold where additional hits will do reduced damage (you can tell because it starts turning black).  When it takes enough additional damage, additional hits do even less damage (signified by an even more blackened out section).  When the hit points of that section are completely depleted, that section will take no additional damage (the area will be completely blacked out).  This can happen even though the ship itself still has HP left.  Add to that the fact that over penetrations (shots that go completely through the ship and explode outside it) will only do 10% of the listed shell damage, and this is probably what was happening.

if you were using AP against the destroyers, you may have been doing mostly over penetrations, doing only 10% of the damage your shells can do.  Regardless, if you kept hitting the same areas of the ships, you probably started reaching damage thresholds and eventually were doing no damage or only over penetration damage (citadels and over pens, I believe, ignore the status of the section).  Thus, this has nothing to do with RNG.

RNG affects where the shells hit because dispersion is a factor of RNG.  RNG affects whether or not fires or flooding (in the case of torpedoes) start because those are chance to happen events. However, whether a shell pes and what damage it does if it does is solely dependent on where the shell hits and the status of the section hit.  You don't get penetration and damage rolls like you do in WoT.  Hitting a specific area of a specific ship at a specific angle and range with a specific shell will either bounce every time, penetrate every time, or over penetrate every time.  If it pens and hits a citadel, it will either penetrate or not penetrate the citadel every time.  And based on what it does and the status of the section of the ship, it will do the same damage based on those factors every time.  There is no "preferential RNG" at all.

Thank you for the information Sataudi!!

Sign in to follow this