You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DokturProfesur

Naval Legends: Iowa

35 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

Wargaming praises the Iowa-class for her high speed and accuracy, when she has neither in game.

She can go 33 knots, but can't in-game. (this one I get, because cruisers would be scared to hell and back if a BB could go over thirty knots)

And she's incredibly accurate... somebody check Iowa's dispersion again?

• Cool 9

[STEC]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
6,122 battles

She can go 33 knots, but can't in-game. (this one I get, because cruisers would be scared to hell and back if a BB could go over thirty knots)

Pretty sure that Iowa does reach 30.5 knots with the upgraded propulsion but I can't verify that right now.

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

Pretty sure that Iowa does reach 30.5 knots with the upgraded propulsion but I can't verify that right now.

Yeah that's her top speed. The decimal point is trivial though.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

She does have fast speed for a Battleship. The accuracy......... No comment besides it annoys me.

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

Plus one.

Played the Yamato in the PT. I thought i was done for when i saw a bow on Montana and Yamato. Guess who scored 4 citadels on bow on T10 BBs? I don't get how WG can justify the clear disparity between US and IJN BBs. 

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Played the Yamato in the PT. I thought i was done for when i saw a bow on Montana and Yamato. Guess who scored 4 citadels on bow on T10 BBs? I don't get how WG can justify the clear disparity between US and IJN BBs. 

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/77639-iowamontana-buffs-confirmed/page__fromsearch__1

Members
343 posts
20 battles

they said they will increase the accuracy in 0.5.6 ....I hope its true

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

293 meters with a maximum range of 23.3km.  Izumo's is 231 (without GFCS1) at 21.7.  Comes out to 1.257% of Iowa's maximum horizontal range and 1.065% of Izumo's.  That extra 1.6km of range that Iowa has really doesn't help except against Izumo though, with the latter's vulnerability to plunging fire.

If they made APR1's dispersion increase lower or nonexistent that would literally solve almost all American BB dispersion problems.

Edited by TenguBlade
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

293 meters with a maximum range of 23.3km.  Izumo's is 231 (without GFCS1) at 21.7.  Comes out to 1.257% of Iowa's maximum horizontal range and 1.065% of Izumo's.  That extra 1.6km of range that Iowa has really doesn't help except against Izumo though, with the latter's vulnerability to plunging fire.

If they made APR1's dispersion increase lower or nonexistent that would literally solve almost all American BB dispersion problems.

A very valid point.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
341 posts
4,798 battles

Wargaming praises the Iowa-class for her high speed and accuracy, when she has neither in game.

"Iowa can go 33 kts" is actually a half truth. Under operational conditions such speed was simply not possible. The fastest any of the Iowa's ever got to was about 32.5, and that was done during a speed trial with a minimal fuel load, no ammunition and minimal stores to reduce the mass of the ship, and most importantly a hull that was free of barnacles and other fouling. Under operational conditions their top speed was around 31kts - 31.5 kts.
Edited by How_Terrible

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

"Iowa can go 33 kts" is actually a half truth. Under operational conditions such speed was simply not possible. The fastest any of the Iowa's ever got to was about 32.5, and that was done during a speed trial with a minimal fuel load, no ammunition and minimal stores to reduce the mass of the ship, and most importantly a hull that was free of barnacles and other fouling. Under operational conditions their top speed was around 31kts - 31.5 kts.

Remind me how often, under operational conditions, that Tashkent got 43 knots? She did that on a trial run where she was clean, brand spanking new, without an armament, minimal food/fuel/stores and is in game at 43 knots.

They gave Iowa her lowered speed because it would make her too good against cruisers, not because it was unrealistic to go 33 knots in operational conditions.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,526 posts
28,456 battles

Iowa should have her historical speed.  Every other game I've ever played has put the Iowa at 33 knots.  I don't care if that means she's a cruiser hunter.  The extra speed can be used to get around the battlefield and flank a Yamato, which helps her counter that ship as well...

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Iowa should have her historical speed.  Every other game I've ever played has put the Iowa at 33 knots.  I don't care if that means she's a cruiser hunter.  The extra speed can be used to get around the battlefield and flank a Yamato, which helps her counter that ship as well...

And why should she be balanced to counter a Yamato, when she's a tier lower?  Montana doesn't do a very good job of it, but that's Montana's issue, not Iowa's.

Iowa already has a speed, range, alpha damage, turret traverse, AA and firing arc advantage over the Izumo; the latter's only strengths when compared to her are secondary firepower and dispersion.  Both ships have crap turn circles and shift times, so that really goes to neither, and they have the same reload .  Buffing the Iowa in some aspect that she is already superior to Izumo in wouldn't help her counter the Izumo, especially when it's such a trivial speed increase.  It just makes Iowa mildly more dangerous to cruisers, which she is already plenty deadly against. 

I should note that a top speed increase actually decreases her ability to evade torpedoes because she travels more distance while her rudder is shifting.

Edited by TenguBlade

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

And why should she be balanced to counter a Yamato, when she's a tier lower?  Montana doesn't do a very good job of it, but that's Montana's issue, not Iowa's.

Iowa already has a speed, range, alpha damage, turret traverse, AA and firing arc advantage over the Izumo; the latter's only strengths when compared to her are secondary firepower and dispersion.  Both ships have crap turn circles and shift times, so that really goes to neither, and they have the same reload .  Buffing the Iowa in some aspect that she is already superior to Izumo in wouldn't help her counter the Izumo, especially when it's such a trivial speed increase.  It just makes Iowa mildly more dangerous to cruisers, which she is already plenty deadly against. 

I should note that a top speed increase actually decreases her ability to evade torpedoes because she travels more distance while her rudder is shifting.

You're really ignoring Izumo's greatest strength.

Bow on, she is an unstoppable behemoth that can make any BB turn tail, even a Yamato.

Izumo's a great ship when you know how to play her, but people flat out cannot play her right and thus hate her.

Edited by DokturProfesur

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

You talk like paper stats for other ships are all under operational values.

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

I cant wait for the buffs i will love her even more than i do now heh which is a lot >< 

Members
1,651 posts
20,692 battles

I agree id much rather have the quad bofors than a slight increase in speed.  I also think It deserves a increase in its healing ability.  Im actually ok with the guns.  After playing 700 games in the N.C  there very accurate to me lol. 

[T-R-F]
Banned
677 posts
22,723 battles

so their Legends say she was highly accurate.

Yet she isn't in game, nor the Montana which uses the same gun.

HOW DOES WG JUSTIFIED THIS!?