Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rion12

Amagi frustrations...what to do when everyone's camping.

8 comments in this topic

Members
2,072 posts
2,712 battles

The Amagi. She's not going well for me lately. I'm barely scraping a 50% WR, but my average damage isn't too bad...I guess (but it's dropping...).

I'll admit, part of it is likely my gunnery (I can shoot with a Nagato just fine...aren't these the same guns?), as well as what appears to be generally...err...different...play at high-tiers (namely, me asking why the Montana on my team is sitting WAY in the back, when there are no Yamatos in the match to speak of).

And, for me, something about the Amagi just feels...off. It's never really "clicked" for me.

How do you people actually play this thing?

[VPMN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
2,095 posts
8,175 battles

First thing I learned is, she's nothing like the Nagato. The Amagi needs to be played more like a Cruiser, as her armor isn't on par with her other BB counterparts. I generally sail bow on, wait for the enemy to fire and then swing her agile butt around to unload, then swing back to bow on. I equip the fighter as it comes in handy, though the Amagi is agile and add the rudder upgrade and you can dodge torps pretty well.

Her biggest downside is her range, at 19.9k it is the lowest of the IJN BBs and the tier 8 and 9 BBs of the other trees. However she has the most accurate guns of any BB in the game thus far. Just do everything you can to avoid being broadside because she isn't forgiving. I've been cit'd by a NM and quickly realized this isn't a battleship, its a battle cruiser.

As for how to handle things when the enemy is camping, play aggressively. I move in and depending on the map I use the islands as cover. Usually if your team sees that one of their BBs is willing to push, a few tend to follow. If you are in a match where the point is to cap A/B/C then push in and start capping but try to do so under some form of cover. If you're on Open Ocean, well sorry, you're just going to have to be good at angling.

Edited by 4wilds

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,285 posts
19,681 battles

One of my favorite ships from the moment I played my first game.  Its armor is probably better than advertised, its ability to change direction and speed are awesome. It a Battlecruiser and it performs like one!  I almost feel like I can stand toe to toe with and enemy BB, but it does Citadel a bit more than I would like...but I can avoid getting hit!   To answer your question when the team camps... first off how many enemy DDs and what type in the game?  Odd that one will be across from my spawn... a Russian or an American?  I am pretty aggressive with my Amagi, I may lead the charge and shame my team into attacking!  If I detect and enemy, I usually will turn away, then turn back if I still don't spot anything...if I spot enemy CA, then there is a good chance I am going to tag it hard...but then need to turn away... you got speed, USE IT!  By vary speed, direction you will not get hit by DD torps much, I fear CV torps more, so if two enemy CVs, I usually play much more conservative, let my CA's and DDs get out front, or if our CV players are GOOD then they will have fighters out front looking for the enemy strike force and you will be much safer.   Amagi is a great ship, use her strengths...don't worry about win rate too much, thats a bit out of your control, get your damage in!  Try for 70K plus for a decent game.  Upgraded and she is a true beast... now if I can just find out what is good about my Izumo besides the secondaries (which I LOVE, just killed two out of 3 DDs trying to chase me down...bad move, never chase and Izumo in a DD, I got the secondary skill (evil grin))

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

I found that Amagi works best when played as a Battlecruiser, like Kongo should be played as.

Don't tank enemy BB fire unless you're one on one and know you have the upperhand. Don't fight enemy BBs head on when they have support. Skirt your enemies like a cruiser would, but don't be afraid to trade some HP for positional gain for your team, you can heal the health back when your cruisers cannot.

Also, if you can find some daring cruiser captain teammates that are not afraid to push a flank early on, run with them. You have the speed to keep with your teams cruisers. The opposition you're likely to encounter that early in would be cruisers and DDs. Torps are really easy to dodge in Amagi, and you have more firepower than your cruisers, so you being withl them will likely cause any opposition you run into to turn tail and run.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[NMKJT]
Members
4,302 posts
9,133 battles

Pretty much what other people in the thread have said. I propped up cruiser pushes a lot with Amagi - if the other BBs won't push up but your cruisers will, you go with them. Just make sure to watch out for any signs of your cruiser friends being gunshy, cause they can retreat faster and it's very easy to get caught out alone if the rest of your group decides to not move further up.

Members
117 posts
4,309 battles

How about Mods? I just got mine and am trying to decide if i want aa or secondary etc...   I finally dropped back to tier 6-7 play yesterday to salvage win rate for the week. It was above 50 then plummeted once i got in her.

Edited by EL_Remo

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

go for accuracy.

Amagi is great, just stay angle (it has a great fire angle too). 10-15km its the ideal distance to engage. Try not to go too far foward, it happens a lot, its a really fast ship.

try to focus CAs first, HE spamming its hell for him, angle against all BBs, you can take any BB but Yamato in 1vs1 and win.

and dont be affraid of make a quick 180 turn between you enemies salvos, you have 6 guns pointing back and you can outrun almost all BBs

Sign in to follow this