You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HowitzerBlitzer

What's so special about every cruiser line?

11 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,970 posts
3,082 battles

I know that the Japanese get heavy cruisers early and great torpedoes, American cruisers keep rather small guns for some time and lose torpedoes but still great rate of fire.

But what I don't know much about are the Soviet and German cruisers. I remember when German cruiser were added they appeared to be long range battle AP slingers with no citadel armour. Now with the few battles I have against Soviet cruisers I can't see anything different between them and German cruisers, I can't even find an advantage. Maybe an easier to hit citadel, but even that depends on a few things.

So can someone help me out here? And which one is most effective in the game's current state?

Members
571 posts
4,663 battles

ok German Cruisers have good AP, bad HE, Russian ones have good HE, bad AP (or at least that's what it feels like when you fight the buggers...)

Beta Testers
852 posts
3 battles

*snip*

And which one is most effective in the game's current state?

The most effective is you, regardless of meta. For exampe, I can make Pensacola work, but I just cant drive Cleveland well despite what people thinks of those current ships (CL = good, Pensa = bad). Choose your ship, if you feep comfortable with it, that's your most effective ship.

• Cool 1

Members
288 posts
7,264 battles

ok German Cruisers have good AP, bad HE, Russian ones have good HE, bad AP (or at least that's what it feels like when you fight the buggers...)

Russian got excellent AP, just not as good as German, counter part they have awesome HE

Members
383 posts
4,341 battles

I know that the Japanese get heavy cruisers early and great torpedoes, American cruisers keep rather small guns for some time and lose torpedoes but still great rate of fire.

But what I don't know much about are the Soviet and German cruisers. I remember when German cruiser were added they appeared to be long range battle AP slingers with no citadel armour. Now with the few battles I have against Soviet cruisers I can't see anything different between them and German cruisers, I can't even find an advantage. Maybe an easier to hit citadel, but even that depends on a few things.

So can someone help me out here? And which one is most effective in the game's current state?

Neither are more effective than the other.

Besides the tier 10, the RU have basically the same guns. They fire faster than most of their competitors, have the worst overall camo, are the largest targets, the longest range, and 4km torps. Tier 10 has huge cannons for a cruiser, huge health, no camo, and no torps.

The Germans have some of the best AP, the worst HE, 6km torps and some of the worst rudder shift times. They have unusual layouts accross the tiers which makes them a little more interesting to play than say the USN, but more traditional than the IJN.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
23,925 battles

For the highly distilled version, see the list below.
Japanese cruisers: HE spam

German cruisers: AP spam

US cruisers: AA

Russian cruisers: Absurdly long range and a spotter plane to make that range even more absurd

Long version:

The IJN gets the best torpedoes in the game by far, with all cruisers at T5 and above getting fish with good range and excellent damage, but starting at Aoba the launchers have awful arcs that don't come in handy unless you're being chased, which makes them no better if not more worthless than those of other countries.  The IJN's AP is good, and their HE is the best in the game, however their cruisers have long citadels owing to their many turrets and the turrets have abysmal to average traverse rates.  IJN AA is passable, but most of its teeth comes from short-ranged 25mm guns that will have a very small engagement window, so don't depend on it.

The Germans have sub-par armor, but their AP shells have amazing performance, able to rack up 4-digit and even 5-digit damage numbers on battleships, with the exception of Yorck which has about as good HE as AP.  This comes, however, at the cost of HE performance (again, excluding Yorck): German HE has the worst damage and fire chance across the board for their gun caliber.  German torpedoes have much better arcs than the IJN, being able to actually aim forwards, and are nothing to sneeze at starting at T5: all German cruisers of that tier and above are armed with 4 triple torpedo launchers, 2 on each side.  However, their range caps at 6km which, when coupled with their users' poor armor, makes a torpedo run almost suicidal.  German cruisers also get some large range numbers: the Konigsberg has a 16.5km range which is astounding for T5 (outranging every warship that she can see except the IJN BBs and Russian cruisers) and higher-tier cruisers cap off at 17.8km.  German AA is pretty good, but as expected they fall short of the USN.

The USN cruisers forgo torpedoes starting at T6, but their protection is generally quite good (won't matter against BBs and some CAs, but CLs and DDs will notice the difference) with the exception of Pensacola and Atlanta, and their AA is bar none the strongest in the game.  The guns are also nothing to sneeze at: the USN's 8-inch guns are widely regarded as second-best in terms of performance, after only the Japanese for HE and Germans for AP (until T10 where Zao gets better AP too), and the turrets have fast traverse rates for a cruiser.  USN cruisers can also access Radar starting from T8 which gives them an additional tool for hunting DDs that doesn't sacrifice Defensive AA, and the superior version at that.  USN cruisers also start with 1 extra charge of both Defensive Fire and the Catapult Fighter compared to their counterparts form other countries, with Atlanta taking this to an extreme by having both unlimited uses of Defensive Fire and a shortened cooldown.

The Russian cruisers have, without a doubt, the worst armor of all the lines; while the Germans have similar thicknesses, the internal turtleback arrangement found on ships like Admiral Hipper offers a greater degree of de facto protection.  The Russians also suffer from battleship-like turning radii, shift times, and detection distances.  However, the Russian cruisers have absurd range, even greater than that of the German cruisers, which are generally coupled with powerful guns: Kirov at T5 gets a 17.3km range, and the heaviest cruiser broadside at that tier, consisting of 9 180mm guns.  All Russian CAs from Kirov to Dmitri Donskoi have access to a spotter plane, which further augments their range to the point where they can invis-fire without perks if the spotter is up.  Russian CAs retain the 6-inch gun all the way up to T8, but their HE and AP performance is great (AP is still a bit behind Germany, HE is actually tied with the Japanese), and the weapons have flatter arcs than the USN's which makes them easier to aim despite their much longer range.  Russian torpedoes have good arcs, but the ships usually only have a single launcher, and until T8 the torpedoes have a pathetic 4km range and their damage at any tier is only average.  Even when the range becomes 8km the boost is accompanied by a steep drop in speed.  Russian AA is generally okay, a notable exception being Schors, and they can have radar too, but their radar has short duration and long range which makes it practically worthless for actually hunting down a DD.

Edited by TenguBlade
  • Cool 3

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Others have summed it up, but in a nutshell...

USN national flavor calls for overwhelming As capability and stout frontal armor.  Their guns have balanced ap and he damage, but suffer from limited range and slow velocity.  The Cleveland and Des Moines are standout front line brawlers, but the NO and Baltimore should play fleet support against Cvs.

Ijn cruisers have fantastic HE, but average AP.  Their anti air is generally weak, and they have thin armor.  They're armed with long range torpedoes, but often need to use concealment to launch them, lest they get citadeled.

The German cruisers are jacks of all trades, masters of none.  They have good AP, but poor HE.  Their torpedoes have a usable range at 6 km, but not great.  They're maneuverable, but not too much, and they have decent frontal armor, but still feel squishy.  Their AA is okay.

The Soviets are all about the guns.  ALL about the guns.  Their guns fire quickly, have excellent ap and he, and have both flat arcs and long range.  Their anti air is borderline useless, their torpedoes Max out at 4 km, and while fast, they turn abysmally.  They have okay frontal armor, but massive citadels.  Theyre also huge.  The moskva is longer than a yamato, with a citadel that's roughly the size of an entire new York.  They also have awful concealment overall.

[NO]
Members
372 posts
19,073 battles

few thing that has not been mentioned that also may influence ur choice

1) USN has the worst gun arc, especially the des moines and atlanta due to their slow shell velocity (worst of all the nations in game if memory serves me right)

2) high tier IJN has invisi fire capabilities when speced right without the spotter

3)German tier 10 hindenburg actually has AA good enough to give the des moines a run for its money.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
23,925 battles

few thing that has not been mentioned that also may influence ur choice

1) USN has the worst gun arc, especially the des moines and atlanta due to their slow shell velocity (worst of all the nations in game if memory serves me right)

2) high tier IJN has invisi fire capabilities when speced right without the spotter

3)German tier 10 hindenburg actually has AA good enough to give the des moines a run for its money.

With regards to your first point, the arcs have uses.  Small-caliber USN AP can pen for surprising amounts of damage at close to max range while equivalent IJN AP (looking at you, 155 Mogami) falls flat on its face.  That and you can fire over islands and severely annoy people with good RNG by setting fires and trashing AA/secondary mounts.

Most T8+ CAs can invisi-fire if my memory serves me correctly, they just need to be specced properly (the exceptions being Dmitri Donskoi and Moskva with their BB-like detection ranges).  Very few USN captains spec their ships for full stealth (Concealment module, Concealment Expert, Type 1 or Type 5 camo, etc.); I've heard it's a viable and even preferred build on Baltimore but never seen anyone keep the ship so I doubt they fully invested in it by throwing CE into the mix.

Des Moines can project almost all of her AA firepower at her max range while Hindenburg cannot.  While the numbers are similar a single captain skill/mod (i.e. AFT or AAGM2 respectively) has a much greater effect on the Des Moines than the Hindenburg.  The Hindenburg also is better off not being played as a support ship with how strong her AP is while Des Moines doesn't have a clear-cut advantage in a surface action other than rate of fire.

[NO]
Members
372 posts
19,073 battles

Ya the gun arc is true that it is based on situation and play style but it should be notified since it is not for everyone and is such an important part to each ships play style that it needs to be notified.

i did not know bout the other ships having invisifire capabilities without catapult fighter since when I'm in my iowa the none dd ships that invisifiree me are all from the ijn line.... So the hipper and new Russian cruiser may have it I'm not sure but I am 90 percent sure Des Moines don't have that capability. If she does then sorry for giving wrong information but thankyou for letting me learn something new.

The hindenburg aa is definently not equal to a Des Moines but is strong enough that if a cv attacks u for all intended purposes it is equal. I remember that on the forum it shows a Des Moines vs 10 ryogou(sorry for bad spelling on phone can't check it is the lower tier ijn cv) and a Hindenburg in the same situation and the Hindenburg actually survived and the des died. This may be due to the Hindenburg being second in the test so he knows better but if that is taken into account than the Hindenburg will have aa that is good enough (admittedly it was not tested for a supporting role)

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,855 battles

The Russian cruisers have, without a doubt, the worst armor of all the lines; 

To add more to this while playing my Stock Furutaka I got to he cit hits on a Kirov with plunging fire. He sank as soon as the second shell hit.