You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grump_Wagon

New Team Killing Rules Are Overkill

110 comments in this topic

[XBRTC]
Members
267 posts

So I'm in a game last night and accidentally hit a friendly DD with a torp. I finish the game at the top of the leader board for our side, but after the game I'm notified that I'm a team killer. I'm now Pink, and pissed.

Accidental sinkings are unfortunate but have happened about once or twice a month.

Per the patch notes:

Other Changes and Fixes

• We increased the penalty for damaging and destroying allied ships. From now on, a player can receive "team killer" status even if they caused relatively slight damage to an ally. A player will instantly receive the "team killer" status when they destroy an allied ship
  • (emphasis added)

Draconian much?

If WG REALLY wanted to put a stop to Team Killing then it wouldn't allow it. Make it so that friendly fire does no damage to the target, just penalize the shooter's credits and XP. Take it away and the the sicko's go away. It's a really that simple fix this vexing issue.

But no, WG's position is to punish simple mistakes and unintended results of out of control circumstance is not promoting a fun gaming experience. New players will be discouraged and will walk away.

I'm really pissed and insulted by this. And no one can tell me what I need to do to unpink.

I have been at or near the top of the leader board in the 4 games since I went Pink, and I am still pink. And once I finally do go unPink I (and everyone else) is in danger of Pink the next time they're in a furball of smoke and DDs in the Cap. One wrong move by you or a friendly and it is Pink all over again.

Edited by Grump_Wagon
  • Cool 3

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

- be more careful where you shoot. Your teammates thank you.

- do damage to the enemy without damaging teammates. You can do this in coop if you wish

• Cool 5

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,618 battles

There's already a thread on this. While I agree, I also agree with the general consensus that there will be so many pink players in game as to lose all effectiveness. Just remember that pink now does double damage back to you for any teammate damage.

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
2,801 battles

And once I finally do go unPink I (and everyone else) is in danger of Pink the next time they're in a furball of smoke and DDs in the Cap. One wrong move by you or a friendly and it is Pink all over again.

Exactly, dont throw torps in an area stupid teammates might ran into it. You are responsible for your own actions.

• Cool 7

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

If this makes people more careful with their torps....

...MORE PINK!!!   

while I see this as a positive outcome for this issue

it will also bring to the surface some UI issues that are rarely-if-ever mentioned on the forum

• Cool 1

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

If this is as harsh as it sounds I guess we'll see a lot more pink.

It sounds pretty unfair to me. I ran out of fingers counting the times when a team mate has run into torps from myself or another team mate because they were totally oblivious to everything but what they were tunnel visioning  on.

I have seen people (more than twice) run parallel to torpedoes for 7 km and then turn into them...yes turn into them... resulting in their team mate getting a -1.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
Members
8,019 posts
15,964 battles

And when my Atlanta fires a salvo at an enemy DD attacking our carrier at long range, and RNG send the rounds into the carrier 20 seconds later....  pink I will be.

And when my carrier auto-drops torps on an enemy ship after I am dead - and they miss and hit a friendly...  pink I will be.

Think I will manual drop CV torps onto myself and get this over with.

• Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,768 posts
46,726 battles

I play forward as a DD and I get a friendly torp now and again.  when it happens there are always two reactions. 

1. The team mate apologizes

When this happens I actually fell bad for my team mate and go out of my way to show what the reasons for the TK where.

I call it a teachable moment that usually ends with everyone going there way felling like the world is not full of butt heads.

2.  I get the "you turned into them speech"

In this case the player is just an arrogant jerk that will never take responsibility for his actions or his ordinance.  I have no

sympathy for them.

• Cool 3

[XBRTC]
Members
267 posts

Think I will manual drop CV torps onto myself and get this over with.

Yup, I expect to see that very soon. LOL!!!

I normally check fire anytime there is a friendly in front. However, I didn't even know the guy was in the Cap with me until I got the notice I had sunk him. When you're evading shots from two RU DD's and a Cleveland it's kinda hard to notice small green friendly on the minimap. 

I finally went un-Pink, had to score 80K of damage in my St. Louis to get rid of it. 

Members
4,680 posts

If this is as harsh as it sounds I guess we'll see a lot more pink.

It sounds pretty unfair to me. I ran out of fingers counting the times when a team mate has run into torps from myself or another team mate because they were totally oblivious to everything but what they were tunnel visioning  on.

I have seen people (more than twice) run parallel to torpedoes for 7 km and then turn into them...yes turn into them... resulting in their team mate getting a -1.

Not to mention all the doofus's that insist on sailing right between two ships that are shooting at each other...  It takes two to tango- players need to take some responsibility for their own safety, too.

Or the schmoes that play bumper cars at spawn or in the middle of a battle.  WHY do you need to sail SO close to allied ships?   I call these types barnacles- because they stick to you like a wet diaper.  Getting pinked because of these types would be enraging, and I bet we see plenty of griefing exploiting this to cause others to turn pink...

These things drive me up a wall, but you'll never hear the lynch mob condemn those players.  Too busy pointing fingers elsewhere.

[CK5]
Members
2,016 posts
26,165 battles

The captain of a ship is responsible for everything that happens on that ship, whether it was an intentional act by the captain or not.  

• Cool 4

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

FYI team ramming damage while pink - extends pink

This is a major problem right here. I'm currently pink ... and still pink after five more matches ... likely due to the fact that in two of those followup matches, a teammate turned into me and I scratched his paint. Got the warning saying I was getting further penalized for it.

So yeah .. tons of threads have crept up about this, I'd be semi-okay with it being the way it currently is ONLY if hugging a teammates' ship doesn't also extend it. Cause that's just silly and a major potential source of griefing.

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Well, here is something to think about, with the new TK adjustments.

(video was here)

And all it took, was ONE secondary shell.

Did you just copy paste that from the original TK thread? Because that's the original TK thread. 

Members
1,716 posts
8,224 battles

Exactly, dont throw torps in an area stupid teammates might ran into it. You are responsible for your own actions.

You can control your own actions to a point and in many of these battles, that point becomes very short and pointed, there are always going to be those that will not get out of the way or be where they are not suppose to be or those that simply do not pay attention, laying the blame solely on the person that fired the salvo whether it be gun fire or torps is leading this game in the wrong direction.
  • Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,406 posts
15,833 battles

Blame the serial TK'ers and all the people the constantly were whining about all the team killers, "DO SOMETHING NOW!" when in reality it wasn't very common.

• Cool 2

Members
165 posts
1,980 battles

Did you just copy paste that from the original TK thread? Because that's the original TK thread. 

No, this was from The Mighty Jingles video from about a day ago? I'll just link the original video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAvlvoOQL0k

Here it is. If it is in the original TK post, forgive me. I haven't really been to that part of the forums.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

The only part I really have a problem with is ramming or bumper car damage.  

That is literally impossible to avoid if the other guy wants to ram you.  He's friendly, so you can't shoot him to stop it.  And unless he is in a less maneuverable ship and you're willing to dedicate yourself to doing nothing but dodging him you literally cannot avoid him ramming you.  I've killed at least 2 DD, once in a CA once in a BB.  Or "killed" in that they were low health, rammed into me and sank.  If that happened this patch, I'd be pink.

That's over the top imo.  Friendly torping absolutely should turn you pink on the first offense.  Main battery too, but maybe with a caveat like if more of a salvo lands on an enemy than a friendly it counts less.  Secondary kills and/or ramming damage I don't see as the same thing.  Technically you can just turn off secondaries and not worry about that, but sometimes you need secondaries.  Also AA/secondaries are tied together.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Probably wg should just add a forgive option, if you took team damage during a battle after the battle ends you can choose to forgive the team mate if you want to. That way at least if someone apologizes and the other person is not feeling vindictive no pink will happen. 

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Not a bad idea.  Maybe a cap on how much you can forgive.  No matter how sorry you say you are if you managed to 100->0 a friendly cruiser with torps then your teammates next battle deserve to know.

I'd say a minimum number on how much damage you need to cause for it to count as a team kill too, at least in the case of bumper cars.  If you're in a big slow ship that gets rammed by a friendly DD on 20 health you don't deserve to be pink.  On the other hand, if you're in a bb that traps a friendly DD against and island and scrapes back and forth against them until they die, you do.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

Probably wg should just add a forgive option, if you took team damage during a battle after the battle ends you can choose to forgive the team mate if you want to. That way at least if someone apologizes and the other person is not feeling vindictive no pink will happen. 

I like that idea 1Z. At least that way if you can see it is wholly unintentional you can pardon the transgression. The dude that blasted me for 10k and 66% of my HP the instant the map starts? Not so much...
  • Cool 1