You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: HMS Campbeltown

81 comments in this topic

LittleWhiteMouse    17,286

Please be aware that this review reflects the HMS Campbeltown as she appeared during the testing period. 

Her stats may have changed since.

The following is aimed at new(ish) players looking to find a little more information about various ships from events, for premium currency or for real-world cash.  The goal is to allow players to make an educated decision before parting with their time and money and to find premium vessels that suit their chosen style of play, whether that is competitive, cooperative, or simply for fun.  The idea here is to elabourate on information not commonly available through reading statistics and provide some (heavily) biased anecdotal evidence to encourage or dissuade you from making your purchase.  The usual disclaimers apply:  everyone knows the Matchmaker clearly loves me because I spend money so that's why I occasionally get really good games, not because I have any particular skills of note.

Other articles in this series:

Without further ado:

The Royal Navy Town-class Destroyer
HMS Campbeltown

Quick Summary:  A Town-class Destroyer with 7.5km range torpedoes and a broadside of only 2 guns.  Despite it's American appearance, she plays more like a mid-tier Japanese Destroyer.
Cost:  Undisclosed at this time.

PROs
  • Powerful torpedoes with 11,967 alpha.
  • Torpedoes are very long ranged for tier III at 7.5km.
  • Fast for a low tier destroyer at 35.0 knots.
  • Decent agility with a 520m turning circle and 2.7s rudder shift.
  • Low tier Destroyer, so only sees a maximum of tier 4 opponents.

CONs

• Horrible gun compliment with a maximum broadside of 2 guns.
  • No rear mounted gun, creating a blind spot to her rear.
  • Worst gun DPM of all of the tier 2 through 4 destroyers.
  • Torpedoes have a very long reload of 63s.
  • Layout of launchers is frustrating to use.
  • Large surface detection range for a low-tier destroyer.
  • Rides higher in the water than a Wickes-class.
  • No bonus to ramming damage.  This seemed like such an obvious thing to include.

ngrmfo.jpg

Though in looks she may appear to be a clone of the Wickes-class, she plays completely different from her USN counterpart.

The HMS Campbeltown is a Town-class Destroyer. Like some of the other Wickes-class that the Royal Navy acquired, she had one of her 102mm guns and two of her torpedo launchers removed in order to improve her stability. The Campbeltown as she appears in World of Warships fits this standard of the Town-class, rather than her stripped down self from the St.Nazaire Raid which had only a 76mm bow gun for a main armament and no torpedoes.  In terms of game play, she is as far removed from her USN roots as you can imagine, ending up much more akin to an IJN Destroyer. 

I've once again had the pleasure of having Lert join me on this review.  He will be providing a comparison between the contemporaries of the Campbeltown.

The Lert Box

photo-83937.gif?_r=1384376716

Hello and welcome to the Lert Box. LWM has again graciously allowed me some space in her review for my own thoughts about this iconic vessel.

And iconic she truly is. The lynchpin of the Operation Chariot mission during WWII, where Campbeltown - formerly the Wickes class USS Buchanon - was disguised, loaded up with a very large amount of explosives and sent to attack the docks at St Nazaire. There she rammed the dock doors and - after a long delay - exploded, destroying the docks for what turned out to be the duration of the second world war. The destruction of the St Nazaire docks forced the Germans to hide Tirpitz away in a Norwegian fjord, rather than having her run free in the Atlantic, causing all sorts of havoc.

Now I know that my review of this ship is mostly academic. No matter how good or how bad the ship is, many people will simply buy it on principle. Either because they're a fan of the ship because of the St Nazaire raid, or simply because it's a Royal Navy ship. Or, at least, a US Navy ship modified and operated by the Royal Navy. I admit that for me it's a must-buy, but that is because I'm a big fan of the ship because of the St Nazaire raid, not because of any game play qualities of the ship itself.

Does that mean that she's terrible? Well, no. Not really. But I'll explain more when I go into the various details.

For this review I will be comparing her to the Wakatake and her class' name-ship, the Wickes. Why not the Derzki? I chose Wickes because Campbeltown is a modified Wickes and Wakatake because she's the Japanese destroyer of the same tier, and Campbeltown tries to be a Japanese destroyer. Derzki is a different play style, and since she'll soon get a buff in her torpedoes, comparing her as she is now is counter productive.

One note though, I am doing this comparison from memory. I was a doofus and didn't save a screenshot of Campbeltown's stats to compare to Wickes and Wakatake. Although I have a very good idea of what the ship is like, some minor details like gun fire range or turret traverse escape me.

Finally, my rankings are subjective.

These are the same 102mm (4") rifles found on the Sampson, Clemson and Wickes.  The Campbeltown has the worst alpha strike and DPM of any of her contemporaries.  This makes her dangerously vulnerable in any close range knife fights that inevitably result in the low tier, claustrophobic maps on which she'll find herself.  You can and will be outgunned by any ship you encounter.

The Lert Box

I can be very brief here. She has the same guns that Wickes has, but only three of them. She can only bring two to bear at most at any one target, making her firepower feeble at best. Not that Wickes or Wakatake are endowed with finger-of-God guns, but they at least both can do more damage over a given period of time than Campbeltown. I was tempted to give this category to Wakatake, having three centerline mounted 120's over Wickes' and Campbeltown's 102's, but Wickes ROF gives her the edge.

Campbeltown: 1 pt

Wickes: 3 pts
Wakatake: 2 pts

24g15dx.png

iygeq8.jpg
One of the biggest weaknesses of the HMS Campbeltown is her pathetic gun armament.  She is utterly ill suited to close ranged knife fights against enemy destroyers, being outgunned even by the likes of IJN Destroyers like this Wakatake.  Tread lightly.

Secondary Armament
Like many destroyers, the Campbeltown is defined by her torpedo armament.  At first glance, the Campbeltown's torpedoes look amazing.  They have enormous range for a tier 3 ship at 7.5km and do just shy of 12,000 damage.  Their 57 knot speed is also not bad.  

So what's the bad news?
The first issue is their very long reload time of 63 seconds.  Given her poor gun armament and largish (for her tier) surface detection range, this is a full minute between salvo drops that you're going to want to play keep away, waiting for the reload.  That's a full minute to drop a single spread of three fish.

But hold on a minute, you say!  Mouse, doesn't the Campbeltown have two launchers?  Well, yes.  Yes, she does.  They're on opposite sides of the ship, which is the second problem.  Using them against the same target involves turning the whole ship around to fire the second spread.  That's not a terrible hardship, generally speaking, but it's certainly not a comfortable set up.  In addition, it presents its own dangers.  The Campbeltown has about a one kilometer grace distance between it's torpedo range and it's surface detection range.  Turn in the wrong direction and you'll get spotted.

Where this really gets infuriating is that three torpedoes isn't usually enough.  Though their alpha strike may imply otherwise, three torpedo hits from the Campbeltown will often be insufficient to sink an undamaged Battleship unless they all strike just right.  Cruisers, Carriers and enemy Destroyers struck by this salvo are doomed, obviously. But this can make even close range ambushes on enemy BBs incredibly risky as the Dreadnought survives your suicide rush and you find yourself spotted, out of position and with angry Battleship spanking you -- and the other three torpedoes you so desperately need are stuck on the far side of your ship. 

I remind you, this is effectively the Campbeltown's main form of offense.  And it's a pain in the butt to use sometimes.

Lastly, there's the issue of the maps on which the HMS Campbeltown finds herself.  Finding places where you can use her 7.5km range effectively is a challenge in of itself among the island-choked, claustrophobic maps.  The one saving grace is that many of the low tier opponents you will face don't have experience enough to have discovered their A & D keys.  Otherwise, those super maneuverable starter vessels would be even harder to hit.

With a 63 second reload and 3 torpedoes per side, you don't get many bites of the apple per pass with the Campbeltown. You won't be spamming fish in the water and every reload counts.  The separate fire arcs of the tubes are annoying.  It's quite frustrating to hear your torpedoes reload only to realize that they're the launchers on the opposite side. When you do land hits, they're absolutely devastating.  However, there will be long periods in between while you're waiting before getting back into the action.

I dunno, maybe it's me and I'm just being impatient.

The Lert Box

Now we come to the meat of the matter. A torpedo-boat destroyer like Campbeltown lives and dies by her fish. The good news is, she has the best torpedoes in tier with the longest range and the most damage - 7.5km and 11k+ respectively. However, that's where the good news ends. She only has a single three-barrel launcher per side, and the reload is atrociously long, with over a minute before captain skills. She can stealth-fire, but with only a single launcher and such a long reload, it's very difficult to do significant damage. Despite how strong the individual torpedoes are, even a full broadside of fish into a battleship is not guaranteed to sink the fatty.

On paper Wakatake loses this category having only two twin-barrel center line launchers, but with 7km fish that do almost 11k dmg each and reload in 42 seconds, she is the best torpedo boat in tier. Especially taking into account that - just like Campbeltown - this fighting Geisha can stealth torp.

That leaves Wickes. Individually the weakest torpedoes with 9.9k damage and 5 km range, she's unable to stealth torp. However, with two three-barrel launchers per side and a 40 second reload, she can really lay down a heavy barrage of explody fish.

Wickes: 2 pts
Wakatake: 3 pts

2lvebk6.jpg
Dressed up in the 22,500 credit camouflage, the Campbeltown waits in ambush around a headland near the narrows on the Solomon Islands map.  As nice as her torpedo armament looks on paper, you're unlikely to one-shot an enemy Battleship with a single salvo, with even a Kawachi-class Battleship able to survive three hits.  This makes close-range ambushes incredibly risky.  Best to avoid suicide-torping altogether and snipe with your fish.

Maneuverability

The Lert Box

This is where not having saved a screenshot with detailed stats before they removed her bites me in the behind. If I remember correctly she's slightly better than Wickes and slightly worse than Wakatake. take this category with a grain of salt though.

Campbeltown: 2 pts
Wickes: 1 pt

Even as one of the larger destroyers of her tier, the Campbeltown has decent agility.  Her top speed of 35.0 knots is very respectable, keeping her better than average among her contemporaries.  Her 520m turning circle is on the larger side for low tier destroyers, but still more than sufficient, especially when coupled with her good 2.7s rudder shift time.  She won't out turn her guns or torpedo launchers, so there's no worries there.

apd98m.jpg
Ramming speed!

Durability and Defense
 With a 6.5km surface detection range while using camouflage, the HMS Campbeltown has one of the largest spotting distances of any of the destroyers in her matchmaking spread.  Only the Clemson is bigger with the Izyaslav and Wickes having the same concealment rating.  Given her poor gunnery characteristics, this is immediately disadvantageous.  This said, with the long reach of her torpedoes, she can quite comfortably launch from concealment in open water.  Once you add the Captain Skill, Concealment Expert, this range drops down to 5.9km which could potentially make her quite the seal clubber.

As expected for a destroyer, she has no armour to speak of and she has a middle-of-the-road  8900hp.  This allows her to occasionally survive a single hit from Soviet and American torpedoes but provides little defense against IJN fish.  It should be noted that she rides a little higher in the water than the Wickes, making her an easier gunnery target.

Her AA power is equally forgettable, limited to a pair of self defense machine guns and a 76mm AA gun on the stern.  This puts out a combined total of 10dps and isn't likely to shoot anything down, so just keep it turned off.

The Lert Box

Survivability:

Campbeltown's hit points are on par with Wickes, with Wakatake lagging several hundred HP behind. All three ships are very squishy and easy to kill with very low hitpoints though, none of them manage to reach the 9000.

Campbeltown: 2 pts (Tied with Wickes)

Wickes: 2 pts (Tied with Campbeltown)
Wakatake: 1 pt

Concealment:

Alas I don't have the exact numbers here to give you for Campbeltown, but I do remember she's slightly better stealthed than Wickes, and slightly worse than Wakatake.

Campbeltown: 2 pts

AA:

They're tier 3 destroyers. Who cares about their AA? They're not going to shoot down swarms of planes, they're not going even going to dent lone scout planes without prolonged exposure. Even then, there's only a single point between them, with Wickes at 4 rating and Wakatake and Campbeltown at 5. For the purpose of this review though, they all lose.

Wakatake: 1 pt

Overall Impressions

The Lert Box

Lets tally up, shall we?

Campbeltown: 9 pts
Wickes: 10 pts
Wakatake: 13 pts

So this means that Wakatake is the best tier three destroyer and Campbeltown the worst?

If you look at them as torpedo boats - which Campbeltown undeniably tries to be - yes. Campbeltown and Wakatake can stealth torp, but Campbeltown just has too few torpedoes in the water per time period to really sway the course of the battle. Wakatake can just reliably pump out more torpedoes on better angles from stealth. And if you're not too concerned about not being seen while you throw fish at people, Wickes has the heaviest torpedo broadside, in number of torpedoes, damage output and ROF.

Having only a single three-barrel launcher per side really limits Campbeltown. She can't corral ships like destroyers with multiple launchers can. She can't cross her torpedo paths to improve chances of hitting - IE she can't force a ship into a second spread while dodging the first. It is possible to get both spreads onto a single target, but this requires a rudder hard-over to get the other flank worth of fish on target, is very difficult to pull off without breaking concealment and means that the second spread is so far behind the first one as to make it silly easy to dodge.

The Campbeltown surprised me.  Like many, I was expecting a Wickes-clone with some minor modifications.  Instead we got what amounts to a low-tier Mutsuki.  She's all about maximizing the use of her slow-reloading fish and playing an endless game of keep-away.  You end up waiting and hiding between reloads and hoping that you don't have to rely on her paltry guns.  In this way, she resembles more of a mid-tier IJN Destroyer than her low-tier USN roots.

I don't think the HMS Campbeltown will enjoy a lot of popularity because of this one-sided reliance.  It's not like her torpedo armament is jaw-droppingly amazing.  The 7.5km range and near 12,000 alpha looks impressive, but it's locked into this long wait to reload her tubes.  And this wait feels long because she only has the one launcher per side.  I don't know how many times i felt like I was fighting with the ship to maximize the number of torpedoes I could put into the water -- nearly getting myself killed when I put the ship hard over to dump the fish off the other side at the same target and strayed into spotting range.  To be fair, she's decent enough at sniping Battleships and Cruisers that move about predictably.  She can hold her own against novice DD players that dump their fish early and leave their broadsides open to reprisal, but all things being equal, the Campbeltown is going to be a difficult ship to love.

Personally, I would like to see her torpedo reload shortened. If it was closer to the low to mid 50s, I think I might become very interested in this ship again.

Would I Recommend?
Without knowing the cost at this stage, it's difficult to say, though I'm not excited about this ship as I once was.  She's not an immediate winner in my books.

Taken on her own merits, she's interesting enough.  Long range torpedo sniping has its charms.  I would strongly caution players who did not enjoy playing the Mutsuki to stay away from the Campbeltown.  The similarities in game play are quite pronounced with poor guns and a dependence on slow-reloading, long range torpedoes.  You are outgunned by every other ship you will encounter out there.

The Lert Box

Is she worth the money?  Well, that's all up to what you are looking for, isn't it? If all you're looking for is a torpedo boat that can strike for stealth, go for Wakatake. If you're looking for a tin can that can swamp its targets with piles and piles of fish of great explodulating, get a Wickes. However, if you're a fan of the St Nazaire raid or simply want a Royal Navy ship, no matter how it plays - yeah it's worth dropping your greenbacks on Campbeltown. She might not dictate battles, but in capable hands she can still function. Just be aware that Wakatake and Wickes are the better tier 3 destroyers and that Campbeltown requires a gentle and patient touch to shine.

Recommended Modules
 The Campbeltown has two module upgrade slots, as you would expect from a tier 3 destroyer.
  • For the first slot, equip Main Battery Modification 1.  If for no other reason, it will help keep you from being detonated.
  • As with most destroyers, take Propulsion Modification 1 to help keep your engine from being blown out.  It won't help often, but every little bit counts.
Recommended Consumables
The Campbeltown doesn't get any unique or unusual consumables.  If you want an extra smoke charge, you can consider grabbing the premium version of her Smoke Generator.  Personally, if I was going to grab any premium consumable for her, I would reach for her Damage Control Party to reduce her reset timer from 60s down to 40s, though with the right Captain Skills, you shouldn't need either and can save some credits.

14afqyc.jpg
Crushing a Sampson-class Destroyer beneath her prow.  The Campbeltown sadly does not get any ramming damage bonus. 
And I made it my purpose to smash my face into as many ships as possible to find out!

Recommended Captain Skills
Unlike the Wickes, the Campbeltown is a torpedo boat so you'll want to be leaning towards skills which assist on that armament primarily.

• As a destroyer, Situational Awareness should be the first skill you grab at tier 1.
  • At tier 2, I'll be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss.
    • Last Stand is a must have for any destroyer Captain, and it's probably your best bet.
    • That said, Torpedo Armament Expertise is very desirable.  This will reduce your reload rate from 63s down to 56.7s.  It's probably best to grab it on a second pass through the skill tree.
  • At tier 3, Superintendent should be your one-stop shop.  It will give you an additional Smoke Generator and Engine Boost charge.
  • Once you hit tier 4, it's really up to you.  I would be inclined to grab Survivability Expert for the extra 1200hp, if only because the other skills aren't of much value for the Campbeltown.
  • And lastly, at tier 5, grab Concealment Expert for your 15th skill point.  This will drop your surface detection range (with camouflage) to approximately 5.9km.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 36

Lert    16,237

Thank you LWM for allowing me the space in your great review to discuss my own thoughts about the ship!

Here's Jeremy clarkson waffling on for an hour about the St Nazaire raid that allowed Campbeltown to sail into immortality.

• Cool 13

Thank you LWM for allowing me the space in your great review to discuss my own thoughts about the ship!

I always find it fun that because of NDAs, we can't confer while writing these yet we usually end up drawing similar conclusions. :)

Lert    16,237

we usually end up drawing similar conclusions.

Which:

1) Helps lend validity to the review, when two respected forum posters (one respected one and me, at least) agree on the value and playstyle of a ship

2) Sometimes surprises me, as I approach a ship from the viewpoint of the mediocre player that I am, while you're a much better player than me

• Cool 1

kerensky914    1,037

I always find it fun that because of NDAs, we can't confer while writing these yet we usually end up drawing similar conclusions. :)

Interesting, I never would have guessed that two persons operating under the same NDA couldn't confer.  That's kinda like expecting jurors not to discuss the case with one another - it makes no sense.

Great review, as always.  Hope we get the chance to try her ourselves soon!

Edited by kerensky914

Lert    16,237

I never would have guessed that two persons operating under the same NDA couldn't confer.

Except that LWM and me are not under the same NDA. If we were, we could discuss the ship all we want, over certain approved channels. But I'm under Supertester NDA and she's under Club Wargaming / Community Contributer NDA.
  • Cool 1

mofton    951

Thanks for the review, it seems very fair, right level of detail. Useful and informative guide.

I'm a brit, and I like the idea of RN ships. Part of me thinks I should get it on that basis. My issues are:

1) It's not 'really' British

2) It overall looks weak to play - you gave it the lowest torpedo rating of the 3 DD, when torpedoes are it's only trick...

3) Slow torpedo reload and boring play made me give up on the Mutsuki, my first abandoned line - Campbeltown looks like more of the same

Warspite has strengths and weaknesses it seems in contrast, but is infinitely more interesting.

Query - how easily detected were the torpedoes? Did people seem to get lots of warning of the slowish incoming fish? If it's like Mutsuki there, it'd be a definite no.

AutismSpeaks    652

Here's Jeremy clarkson waffling on for an hour about the St Nazaire raid that allowed Campbeltown to sail into immortality.

+1 for you as well, sir

Interesting, I never would have guessed that two persons operating under the same NDA couldn't confer.  That's kinda like expecting jurors not to discuss the case with one another - it makes no sense.

Yeah, the way Lert and I co-author these is a bit convoluted.  We both know what's coming out, but we can't discuss them.  So we each pre-write our parts with little more than a "Hey, do you want to work together on the reviews of the upcoming ship(s)?"  (The answer is always 'yes').  We each write our parts well in advance until the NDAs get lifted -- and they don't always get lifted at the same time.  Once we're both no longer hushed, Lert sends me his part and I weave what he writes without edits into what I have written and then begin altering my own text to make the two flow together a bit better.

• Cool 2

Lert    16,237

We each write our parts well in advance until the NDAs get lifted -- and they don't always get lifted at the same time.

When that happens there won't be a collab. I might post my own side of the review as a separate thread then, or - ... well, not.
  • Cool 1

Super_Dreadnought    5,760

Thanks for the review, it seems very fair, right level of detail. Useful and informative guide.

I'm a brit, and I like the idea of RN ships. Part of me thinks I should get it on that basis. My issues are:

1) It's not 'really' British

2) It overall looks weak to play - you gave it the lowest torpedo rating of the 3 DD, when torpedoes are it's only trick...

3) Slow torpedo reload and boring play made me give up on the Mutsuki, my first abandoned line - Campbeltown looks like more of the same

Warspite has strengths and weaknesses it seems in contrast, but is infinitely more interesting.

Query - how easily detected were the torpedoes? Did people seem to get lots of warning of the slowish incoming fish? If it's like Mutsuki there, it'd be a definite no.

*shrug* I'm a Brit also and imho beggars can't be choosers. Last rumour I heard, the RN cruiser line might come next year, so heaven knows when a proper RN destroyer line will turn up? Maybe during the next decade if we're really lucky. 

Personally I'm fine buying a Yank in disguise. At least looking at SEA prices (£5.99) it shouldn't be much more expensive when it comes to NA, and I play IJN DDs anyway and therefore used to the weaknesses mentioned.

Thank you LWM and Lert for your review. Very informative.

Edited by Super_Dreadnought

Thanks for the write-up LWM and Lert.  The ship history interests me more than the ship stats to be honest, but even so I'm not sure I'd buy it just because it has an interesting history.

I had no way of testing this.  During game play, I am restricted by an NDA so I can't converse with players about the ship itself.  You might think that I could simply look for when my opponents responded to the threat of torpedoes -- sadly at low tiers, very few players are actually aware of the threat of torpedoes until after they've been hit by them.  So again, any evidence I might give towards their detection range would be purely speculation.  In short?  I don't know...

As a Canadian, the Town-class is very iconic for me.  The RCN was charged with convoy defense in the Battle of the Atlantic and our entire fledgling navy was geared towards this sole task.  Sadly, anti-submarine vessels are generally ill-suited to fleet actions, as the HMS Campbeltown demonstrates.  If you think this ship is bad, the Flower-class Corvettes would be appalling, even at tier 1, being little more than tiny whaling ships with a single forward mounted gun.  The Town-class Destroyers were badly needed however, especially until Canadian and British naval production could step up to meet the need for more escorts with domestically produced designs (like the AMAZING Tribal-class).  From a point of history, the Town-class is very important to me, and that's even before the St.Nazaire raid is even considered.

Which is why it chafes me that I didn't enjoy my time in the Campbeltown.  Oh, she can do work, have no doubt.  But she's not forgiving.  And any ship I feel like I'm fighting against never ends up a favourite of mine.

• Cool 1

Lonewolfpj    352

always fun to read thanks Guys. I like how Lert has joined your reviews. Always good to hear from good players on there thoughts.

CapnCappy    1,353

Jury is still out on the Campbeltown, IMHO. I'll wait for some more youtube reviews to see if I want to spend the $9? for it.

Jingles has a preview game that shows 2x3 but on each side. So long range and fast torpedoes but hard to get on target and hit something.

I wish they had put more guns on her and made it so you can fire all 4 broadside, then I'll snatch her up and use the torps for LOLz.

TacoSallust    106

Wow, this sounds like a real challenge of a ship to play, a tough trainer for a line that will take awhile to develop. That being said, shut up and take my money WG!

kerensky914    1,037

Except that LWM and me are not under the same NDA. If we were, we could discuss the ship all we want, over certain approved channels. But I'm under Supertester NDA and she's under Club Wargaming / Community Contributer NDA.

Ah, cool, that makes more sense then.

If you guys want a picture comparison, here's the top down view of the Campbeltown alongside the Wickes.  The pic didn't turn out better because of the lighting on the Islands map.  The Campbeltown is on top.  You'll note that she's lacking the rear mounted torpedo launchers off each side and you should be able to make out the lack of a gun on her stern.  The Campbeltown also rides higher in the water by a meter or so.

o52dth.jpg

ilwyhh.jpg

• Cool 3

giovybez    542

Excellent review as usual. Thank you, sir.

even worse than Tachibna?

By a country mile.  The Tachibana has amazing DPM with her high rate of fire.  See the attached chart in the article (reposted here).

24g15dx.png
Edited by LittleWhiteMouse