Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ReflectionTrial

Hiryu Planes

14 comments in this topic

[-GK-]
Members
539 posts
14,180 battles

omg, they are made out of paper, whats even the point to go up in a line, when each tier you planes gets worst compared to all ships AA.

I cant park fighters over a DD without losing a few, I cant not even engage american planes, not bombers nor fighters, my fighters just die.

and attacking ships, well, i got lucky if a few actually make the attack.

wth

Edited by ReflectionTrial

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Just remember, this is after they were buffed a patch or two ago :hiding:

It's been an issue for a while. The last attempted fix was a mix bag (they actually ended up buffing cleveland), and as of yet despite constant complaints they have yet to fully address the issue of overall CV balance even when plenty of us have suggestions ad input how to. IJN fighters need to be on par with USN fighters, attack aircraft in general need a balance between being able to be shot down, and ability to survive, unless the devs want to give us unlimited attack planes, and USN prior to tier 9 and 10 needs LEGITIMATE options. Not ones that leave it gimped against other CV's because it's all or nothing on fighters or attack aircraft or play 1 squadron shorter than others. Alt attacks (strafing and manual drops) need to be changed or removed (such as strafing being an accuracy debuff to grouped bombers and alt simply changing the pattern of the torp drop not the range you drop it).

But several of these issues have been issues since weekend beta, so who knows when, if ever, they intend to address the fact both nations operate on 2 extremes that are at best a pain to play.

[-GK-]
Members
539 posts
14,180 battles

I feel im carried to a victory, its painful to play, and you also get paired with tier VIII-IX, and really, the AA annihilates all your planes, and I mean ALL, 16 out of 16 trying to attack a NC alone. 1 bomber squad actually dropped 1 bomb for 1 hit before they died.

and well, when AS USN CVs park both their squads on your head, you cant do nothing, just stay there

Edited by ReflectionTrial

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,659 posts
15,281 battles

omg, they are made out of paper, whats even the point to go up in a line, when each tier you planes gets worst compared to all ships AA.

Well, tiers four through seven roughly correspond to the advent of the carrier and the shift towards prioritizing ship-borne AAA. It's natural that aircraft get worse compared to the AA going up through those tiers, because aircraft weren't increasing in armour correspondingly.

I know this isn't going to be an "oh okay then that's fine" sort of answer, but it's important to bear in mind.

Members
354 posts
3,909 battles

It's funny, because Ranger drivers think the Hiryu is super OP.

Seriously, we hate you guys.

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

I cant park fighters over a DD without losing a few, I cant not even engage american planes, not bombers nor fighters, my fighters just die.

and attacking ships, well, i got lucky if a few actually make the attack.

wth

It's like you're playing a carrier of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Oh.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
23,365 battles

The upgraded fighters and bombers are better, but there's unfortunately nothing to be done about the torpedo planes without use of upgrades and/or captain skills.  Just avoid ships that have good AA, and you can still do well.

[-GK-]
Members
539 posts
14,180 battles

It's like you're playing a carrier of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Oh.

well, actually Hiryu should have OP fighters compared to USN counterpart, considering that at the beggining of the war, japanese planes were far superior. Its not the case in this game, where 1 fighter squad can just destroy your fighters and then proceed to kill your bombers.

about avoiding good AA, well, almost any cruiser with the AA consumable its able to just stop your attack, you can A. turn around (wasting time, letting the enemy CV being able to hunt you down, you lose planes anyways) B. attack anyways and miss everything (cause you know, maybe thats the last ship, or its important to kill him, he is killing you, etc).

from cleveland foward, all US cruisers just wreck IJN planes, at tier VII you find yourself in tier IX matches more than you want, and in there all ships kill your planes.

and most CV players play AS, it seems the only way to contribute its to being able to kill your enemies planes, giving up any hope of actually doing dmg yourself. not a fun way to play.

I decided to just park the ship for good, it looks good, it was my goal since i started the CV line, it looks good on port.

Members
72 posts
859 battles

A couple things to help.

First your fighters are defensive only use them to tie up the American fighters. You have a couple reserve squadrons so that is at least 4 strikes. First before they know where you are and the others to engage the fighter while you destroy stuff. If you face an AS CV. let them see your DBs on an attack then send the TPs to the other side. You can continually frustrate an AS CV by constantly switching targets. Once I lose some planes I normally let them see which ever type I have the most reserves of.

Take a look at the AA of all ships before going in. 40 and less have a field day. 40 - 70 try to flood their AA with multiple squadrons and pick single ships. Higher than 70 you need to manual drop if not already. You'll get eaten alive trying to auto drop torps. You can also manual drop further away or suicide and manual drop close. You'll die but normally get the bombs and torps off. Keep in mind you have 2 replacement squadrons of each plane type so suiciding one flight can be good if you finish off that BB.

One trick to the DF on the AA cruisers is a lot of players activate DF when planes are coming at them. Fake the attack run and pull your planes back and then redo the run. The DF has a cooldown and only lasts so long. Think of it like getting someone to repair and then set fires or floods. Same tactic.

Last don't get ASE (Aircraft Servicing Expert) or AFT (Advanced Firing Training) at tier 4 capt skill get Manual Fire Control (MFC)

While 20% to AA range with AFT and the 5% survivability with ASE are both nice. MFC doubles your high caliber AA 100% increase in efficiency means your DPS doubles. (and most of us manually designate AA anyway). The fighters have to come into AA range to engage your strike aircraft and MFC can make short work of them. I normally launch a squadron that I have that type of planes in reserve if they get shot down I'm ok with the loss and have them launch and immediately land to draw the fighters in. If they stay away position the CV between them and where you want to attack and launch your planes.

[SPITZ]
Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,143 battles

It's funny, because Ranger drivers think the Hiryu is super OP.

Seriously, we hate you guys.

The issue with the Hiyru in particular is that it has Tier 6 TBs and Tier 7 everything else. For some reason it doesn't get upgraded TBs.

As for it, it's a very solid aircraft carrier, and yes you will lose bombers on pretty much every run.

On the other hand, you also have 72 aircraft, so you generally will never run out.

[KOHAI]
Members
1,696 posts
6,820 battles

strafe, just strafe, it wins all the time, use dogfighting to upset the balance between you and the 'Muricans, strafe their fighters when they're coming at you, then engage them, wait for his second squadron to come, then strafe and attack it as well, you have two fighter squads use them. As for AA, you only need a couple of hits to cause a flood, then light them up with DBs, you might earn an arsonist or two.

[IPWA]
Members
46 posts
6,815 battles

Guys, Hiyru is much better than Ranger. 2/0/2 Ranger can shut you down if you aren't careful, I have been on both sides of that. I play Hakaryu usually in 2/3/3 and Ranger in 2/0/2 and 0/1/3; I understand both strats. Hiyru is probably one of my favorite CV's of the grind because you can sacrifice your fighters and get much higher dmg than the Ranger if Ranger is 2/0/2, and you can dominate if Ranger is 0/1/3. You have the upper hand, but you have to use it. Time your DB drops, even if you lose them from sending them in separate. In 2/0/2 Ranger, I can easily do 60k by just sending in one DB, getting fire, watching target DMG CON, and then getting another fire or two with the other. In Hiyru, I do TB attacks first, get a flooding, watch DMG con, and send in both DB squadrons. EZ 100k lol.

Members
263 posts

Just FYI when you get up to Shokaku the upgraded fighter are the Nakajimas N1K5 and are a lot tougher than the A6M Zeros. Nearly as tough as the USN F4U's but you will still be up against 6 fighters to your 4 so stack them and then go after the USN fighters and strafe the crap out of them! It's what I usually try to do.

Edited by JustinOldDude

Sign in to follow this