Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KITFOX4

2nd Upgrade option on N. Carolina

6 comments in this topic

[SC]
[SC]
Beta Testers
336 posts
6,922 battles

I'm trying to decide between plotting room mod 1 and main battery mod 2. Thoughts?

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

Neither. The plotting room isn't really necessary (and makes it feel like the already bad dispersion goes to crap), and you don't need any faster traverse at the expense of fire rate. Remember, main battery mod 2 INCREASES reload time and decreases traverse time. It's worded poorly. 

Go with the AA range upgrade and cackle maniacally as planes evaporate when they even look in your general direction. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

You definitely don't want Plotting Room.  Given the low velocity and high dispersion of NC's guns, the ~23km from the upgraded FCS is already more than enough.

Is MBM2 the one that speeds up turret traverse but slows reload speed? (at work and can't look up the name) Yup, that's the one.  If so I wouldn't recommend that one either, as there's no need to sacrifice your damage potential to speed up your already respectable 45sec (faster with EM) traverse.

I personally prefer the one that increases AA range (can't remember the name of that one either) to further improve upon one of the NC's best attributes.  Alternatively, there's the one for increased secondary range and accuracy, but IMHO that one is of more benefit to IJN BBs.

On another note, I've always wished we had the option of mounting the accuracy upgrade (which the IJN BBs get at tier 5) in this slot.  Some slightly less infuriating dispersion would in no way make the ship overpowered if it could only be had at the expense of less godlike AA.

Edited by DoomStomper

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,313 posts
18,914 battles

I'd wholeheartedly agree with DoomStomper. I can't hit a sausage at ranges over about 12km for cruisers and maybe 18km for BB (occasional). 23km is too much, spotter plane is completely unnecessary so I go fighter for extra AA. Really contributing to my issues with the ship as closing puts me too far forward and I die, plus I practically give up psychologically as soon as I see it's an 8 T10 per side game. 

I started with secondary mod, but they're so woeful I gave up (one game 102 shots fired, 8 hit, 200 dmg...) and although you don't always see CV's the extra range is very nice there.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I'm trying to decide between plotting room mod 1 and main battery mod 2. Thoughts?

Get AA range instead.

You do NOT want to lower the RoF of a battleship gun, and the North Carolina doesn't need turret traverse for 3 reasons.

1. Battleships drivers really should be good enough with their turrets to just not need the extra speed. Pre-aiming isn't that hard.

2. North Carolina fights bow on like 97% of the time where turret rotation speed is moot because they just point straight ahead all the time.

3. The North Carolina already has pretty good traverse speed for a BB.

You also don't want plotting room. The dispersion on the North Carolina is such that she isn't useful for long range fighting. With the upgraded FCS and plotting room, her range is over 26km, but you'll never hit anything at that range. Hell, I didn't even both getting the upgraded FCS on my North Carolina. 21km range was enough, and most of the time I was trying to get that down to about 15 anyway in order to maintain any real degree of accuracy.

The AA range mod is actually useful though, because North Carolina's AA power is actually quite strong. Against t6 and t7 CVs, North Carolina becomes extremely dangerous with AA skill. Hell even against some t8 CVs you can knock down a hell of a lot of planes. Last night, I watched my buddy take out 37 Shokaku planes. The Shokaku was coming in to drop torps, and John's North Carolina was swatting down 3 out of 4 planes every single time. The enemy CV got off 1 torp per drop, and John just drove around them hahaha. 37 Shokaku attack planes is pretty impressive. Shokaku only carries 72 planes, and in 2/2/2 spec, that means 24 of each kind. My buddy's AA spec North Carolina left that guy with 11 attack planes. That's barely enough to launch 1 full wave of strike planes :)

• Cool 1

[SC]
[SC]
Beta Testers
336 posts
6,922 battles

Alright, good thing I asked. I had always been focused on main battery mods for my BBs till now. Thanks! Good 411

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this