You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
poeticmotion

Engine/rudder knocked out easily in Russian cruisers?

24 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

I've noticed my engine or steering gets knocked out often in Bogatyr and Svetliana (I'm currently grinding through Svetliana.) I run Last Stand as my lvl 2 Capt Skill on KM cruisers due to this problem, but I run Expert Marksman on IJN and USN because it's more useful if you don't get engine/rudder dmg often. 

For those of you that were supertesters or are already playing mid-tier Russian cruisers, does this problem continue at higher tiers? I already know Svetliana and Bogatyr aren't keepers for me, but I think Kirov and or Budyonny might be from what I've seen, so I don't want to spec-out my captain for Svetliana if I'm going to move that captain soon anyway and will need different skills. 

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

pretty sure the kirov has weak rudder and engines from what i read in the last week, its got next to no armor. not sure about others. i also went last stand since RU cruisers tend to have fast traverse already and an extra .7deg/sec isnt very useful.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,823 posts
26,906 battles

*reads title*

Yes.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

I knocked out a Kirov engine with a single shell (HE at that) from an Iwaki... then again when he repaired. Past that not sure lol

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

I was citadel'd with 1 hit from a Colorado on my FANTAIL and lost 95% of HP.  That's friggin obscene.   Didn't lose engine or rudder, but basically killed the game for me.  Took 1 more hit from a Cleveland and game over.  

So far, these Russian cruisers suck.  Got up to Tier 6 on saved XP and Credits.  Don't think I'll go any higher.  NOT impressed.  Not fun to play!!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

You don't get any semblance of survivability till tier 9 and 10.

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

I feel the same too, very easily to have engines and rudder knocked out. Yet this has been a problem for german cruisers when it first came out, probabaly WG needs a little bit more time to perfect the armor model that these russian cruisers deserve

Members
210 posts
1,188 battles

Lol an this was why I wanted before spending my free xp :) now I can with confidence use that xp on my ussr dd line lol especially if that line is that easy to destroy. Tho I never had those kind of problems with my kutuzov 

Beta Testers
2,420 posts
1,809 battles

The question of Russian cruisers isn't "Where is the citadel?"

It's "What armor?"

Or, alternatively, "Where isn't the citadel?"

I started one match in a Kirov just now. Two minutes in, someone blind fired one shot at me, PEW! Over half my health gone. Second shot finished me off before I could turn. I'm browsing the forums as I wait for the match to end so I can get sunk again.

Good guns, but "Glass cannon" is right :P

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

I feel the same too, very easily to have engines and rudder knocked out. Yet this has been a problem for german cruisers when it first came out, probabaly WG needs a little bit more time to perfect the armor model that these russian cruisers deserve

I don't think they necessarily 'deserve' better armor. Balance. They have great armament, so if they had great armor everyone would be screaming about their OPness. They may end up needing some things tweaked for survivability if it turns out they're not as balanced as WG thinks they should be after seeing them in wide use, but so far (from a small sample size) it seems roughly right to me; I can dish out damage but I have to be cautious of how much I'm getting hit. So the key to Russian cruisers is, I think, working with support and positioning so rthat one lasts long enough to influence the battle, similar to German cruisers. I can't YOLO in and cruiser-tank the way I can in a Cleve. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

oh, don't worry. It doesn't get any better in Kirov either.

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,485 battles

yep, happens a a lot.  Its a weakness, but no more critical then any other cruiser, and it does off set the very real fact that the Russian ships have utterly excellent guns over all.

For those who cry foul, I remind you this is a game, and an arcade game though it does get very very close to a pretty accurate sim.  I does convey the feeling of fighting in large warships mounting multiple weapons system and carrying crews of a hundred to a couple thousand of crew.

Those of you crying the entire line is junk because of an annoying vulnerability that can be off set with a commander skill quite easily tend to forget that game balance is critical in this type of game but not in the way you might think. 

The game overwhelmingly obvious dynamic is very rock paper scissors.. DD are sudden death to BB's, BB's are sudden death to CA's, CA's are sudden death to DD's as a rule.  CV prey on and are prey'd on by everyone  (and CV and their Air groups have been nerfed way way way down from their historical performance to keep them from utterly dominating the game just as they did in real life)

They also need to have cross tier balance... Because of the way the MM works ships need to be able to hang in fight up to two tier above themselves.  If your going to toss players into higher tier fights then they have to have a ship that can at least hold its own in a higher tier fight.  (note for the record, be aware the the world navy's did not have a tier system in place. you went to battle with what ever you had available..and from 1939 to 1942 in the pacific Allied ships were very much out classed by the more modern IJN ships.  In WoWS a ship is a ship is a ship no matter the specific type in the end, and all player reguardless of the ship they take have and equal chance of doing well or poorly.  How well or poorly is up to the player.

RU cruisers. strong stronk gun, not so stronk hull..it's all about NOT having them be OP across the board, but having one amazingly good aspect, and having an amazing bad aspect to counter balance it.

Also be aware of the changes since 4.0 to the match maker.. if your looking to go baby seal clubbing in a low tier ship, think again.  You dive in in a low tier you will be facing experienced players also in low tier ships.. Newbs mostly get to play with newbs.  They only get tossed in with experienced players now if there are no other newbs availible for the MM to toss them in with.  Experienced players will not be tossed into a newb fight..  Some of ya'll get stupid mean to other players especially in low tier fights and Wargame net really cannot afford you chasing off potential new customers and revenue stream additions.

If you don't look at the greater picture you end up with zero understanding of what is going on in the game system.

If your having that much issue with subsystems/module getting knocked out may I suggest biting the bullet and loading up the premium DC expendable with its shorter cool down (22,500 slver for fight if you use it)    I wouldn't change it if I were WG as it fits the greater para dime just fine..We'll see some tweaks, but it may very well not be to the Russian ships! Low tier BB desperately need a buff to their artillery range with tier 3 cruisers now seriously out ranging them.  Everything else is a small matter of a tactical problem that's up to the players to find the solution to.  Its can be frustrating, but its also a challange, and challanges can be great fun especially when you find the key to beating your personal ship bugabo.

If you cant handle challenges your playing the wrong game..

TL_Warlord_Roff sends.

Members
135 posts
2,997 battles

I was citadel'd with 1 hit from a Colorado on my FANTAIL and lost 95% of HP.  That's friggin obscene.   Didn't lose engine or rudder, but basically killed the game for me.  Took 1 more hit from a Cleveland and game over.  

So far, these Russian cruisers suck.  Got up to Tier 6 on saved XP and Credits.  Don't think I'll go any higher.  NOT impressed.  Not fun to play!!

I think this is one of the crazy things for me. Yesterday I was stuck in retrograde in a Bogatyr (sure, sure, still early days yet, but I was getting pounded), and although I was jinking like crazy to keep from being hit, every. single. time. a shot landed on my fantail, I got the dreaded message. Then repair or sail in circles, then back to the dance, then bang, message. It was so frustrating that I quit for the night after that round.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I think this is one of the crazy things for me. Yesterday I was stuck in retrograde in a Bogatyr (sure, sure, still early days yet, but I was getting pounded), and although I was jinking like crazy to keep from being hit, every. single. time. a shot landed on my fantail, I got the dreaded message. Then repair or sail in circles, then back to the dance, then bang, message. It was so frustrating that I quit for the night after that round.

The Russian CAs can't rely on agility with the rudder to dodge; you have to use your engine too because they aren't that maneuverable.  Either that or bury your opponents under a shower of shells before they can kill you.

• Cool 1

Members
135 posts
2,997 battles

The Russian CAs can't rely on agility with the rudder to dodge; you have to use your engine too because they aren't that maneuverable.  Either that or bury your opponents under a shower of shells before they can kill you.

What you said, great point. I've noticed that it's not enough to wiggle - I have to play the accelerator constantly. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,849 posts
16,007 battles

I've noticed my engine or steering gets knocked out often in Bogatyr and Svetliana (I'm currently grinding through Svetliana.) I run Last Stand as my lvl 2 Capt Skill on KM cruisers due to this problem, but I run Expert Marksman on IJN and USN because it's more useful if you don't get engine/rudder dmg often. 

For those of you that were supertesters or are already playing mid-tier Russian cruisers, does this problem continue at higher tiers? I already know Svetliana and Bogatyr aren't keepers for me, but I think Kirov and or Budyonny might be from what I've seen, so I don't want to spec-out my captain for Svetliana if I'm going to move that captain soon anyway and will need different skills. 

​I recall the German cruisers having the same problem when they first came out. I'm not sure if it was resolved or people just learned to take that into account when playing them.

Members
892 posts

​I recall the German cruisers having the same problem when they first came out. I'm not sure if it was resolved or people just learned to take that into account when playing them.

They changed them as they were literally getting knocked out like ever shot, people couldn't really do anything about and at the time the Last Stand skill was a T4 so new skippers that didn't have a Dirpitz had a hell of a time without enough points.

Members
441 posts
2,009 battles

Just get last stand, that is what I did.  Turret traverse on russian cruisers is adequate without EM.

• Cool 1

[SADGE]
Beta Testers
298 posts
9,062 battles

Lol an this was why I wanted before spending my free xp :) now I can with confidence use that xp on my ussr dd line lol especially if that line is that easy to destroy. Tho I never had those kind of problems with my kutuzov 

Yes, accept the wisdom of a crowd of people on the Internet.  What could go wrong?   Trumped!

[NOCAP]
[NOCAP]
Members
9 posts
21,938 battles

I'm at Teir V atm and it seems like i get hit for 4k at angle atm. RU are just way to easy to penetrate atm so i'm done playing them until they get fixed. They are just no fun to play. 

Beta Testers
2,089 posts
2,379 battles

I was in the Svietlana for it's first match earlier on Strait against T6.

I was coming up the far side when I got hit & lit on fire. My engine got knocked out after I hit repair to extinguish the fire.  When I could finally repair the engine, my rudder was out for no reason. It wasn't knocked out with the engine & even if it was, the repair would have fixed it. But no, it was out for no reason. No warning no message at all that the rudder was out. It just did not work anymore.

I had 2 matches in it & use both HE & AP & am getting really low damage hits. Can't seem to get good damage hit, regardless of where I hit.

[R-A-W]
Beta Testers
285 posts

Now that all this has been said, I'll probably get a whole krapload of rudder and engine crits. Tbh, I hadn't noticed any engine or rudder disables, probably because I'm used to the KM ships. I notice that sort of thing on my IJN ships cause it dosen't happen as often. Kirov has a long reload time, I think it's 12 or 13 seconds where the next two are something like 7 seconds. Accuracy is pretty damn good, maneuverability is not that great and armor is pretty much non existent. Turret speed is decent. Tier v up to vii are damn good DD hunters. I like the RU CA's so far, I've done pretty good in them except for the lower tiers ... didn't care for them.