Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AjjaxGaming

Strafing?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

22 posts in this topic

Hold [ALT] while selecting fighters to strafe any given area.  ANY planes will be damaged and shot down, including allied.  Consumes about 1/5 of the fighter's ammo and gets much smaller with each missing fighter.

It's actually called Barrage in game. Strafing is just what it's referred to on the forum.

Whatever you call it, it's the Alt ability for Fighters. As noted above, hold down Alt, set the strafe area, click to set, watch the results. Best used against large groups of aircraft or fleeing squadrons. Hits allied and friendly planes both, although sometimes it's worth the trade, e.g using one of your Fighter squadrons as bait for 2 or 3 of enemy Fighter squadrons, then hitting the ensuing melee with a barrage. 

Hold [ALT] while selecting fighters to strafe any given area.  ANY planes will be damaged and shot down, including allied.  Consumes about 1/5 of the fighter's ammo and gets much smaller with each missing fighter.

Added note: 1/5th of a fighters ammo is only at the lower tiers.  When you start getting into the high tiers like 8-10, it will consume half of a fighter squadrons ammo.  This is due to the lower ammo count on higher tier fighters, which is compensated by a MUCH higher DPS.

When done right, you can kill off 5+ squadrons of bombers.  I had one game where I shot down 24 aircraft in one strafe (BTW...this was before the barrage ability got buffed), but the enemy made it easy for me since all 4 of his bomber squads were right on top of each other.

This effect i've noticed is not very good with Japanese fighters due to the smaller squadron counts.

oh and just for giggles I thought i'd mention that when i started playing CV earlier this year I accidentally used Straif function on open water, much to my surprise I watched my fighters crash into the ocean. I was not able to repeat the bug but it was funny.

Does anyone have any input on the barrage mechanic, such as is it usable after the fighters are already engaged in combat? My impression was you couldn't do that in mid-fight, maybe I am wrong.

This effect i've noticed is not very good with Japanese fighters due to the smaller squadron counts.

oh and just for giggles I thought i'd mention that when i started playing CV earlier this year I accidentally used Straif function on open water, much to my surprise I watched my fighters crash into the ocean. I was not able to repeat the bug but it was funny.

Does anyone have any input on the barrage mechanic, such as is it usable after the fighters are already engaged in combat? My impression was you couldn't do that in mid-fight, maybe I am wrong.

You can't do it while another fighter is engaging you.

Did you have 2 fighter squadrons and you straffed your first fighter squadron with your second (Or if you had 2 fighter squadrons stacked on each other).

Did you happen to strafe within 7.2 km to a cleveland that had defensive fire active?

Think of it as manual fighter aiming.for area attack against enemy aircrafts.

A fighter squad under attack can't barrage/strafe...but you certainly can aggro multiple enemy fighters with one squad and use your other squad to strafe all the attackers down...better yet, use your hapless teammate's peril to your advantage.

Strafing/Barrage also has the benefit of not taking strike planes' self-defense fire, so you might want to consider trying to strafe enemy strike planes when your fighter group is low in number but need to engage strike planes.

Think of it as manual fighter aiming.for area attack against enemy aircrafts.

A fighter squad under attack can't barrage/strafe...but you certainly can aggro multiple enemy fighters with one squad and use your other squad to strafe all the attackers down...better yet, use your hapless teammate's peril to your advantage.

Strafing/Barrage also has the benefit of not taking strike planes' self-defense fire, so you might want to consider trying to strafe enemy strike planes when your fighter group is low in number but need to engage strike planes.

I try to strafe bombers when my squad count is low, but typically i'm running on 2/5th of ammo, so the barage doesn't usually work.

I try to strafe bombers when my squad count is low, but typically i'm running on 2/5th of ammo, so the barage doesn't usually work.

Yeah, high tier fighters would barely have any ammo to strafe with.

You can go strafe-happy with Langley or Bogue...you won't last past 2-3 strafes with higher tier ones.

Even  if you have 1/5 ammo left, the barrage time (and length) will adjust as a result.  So you just end up with half a barrage which still does shoot down a few planes before they turn and run for home.

strafe is nice but use on 2 or more squadrons or on enemy fighters. If you are strafing single attack squadrons you use up a lot of ammo quickly. Especially with american fighters against 4 plane IJN squadrons

I know it is not the point of the thread, but Strafing/Baraging whatever you wish to call it needs to either be removed completely or made so it damages SHIPS not planes. One squadron of fighters should not be able to wipe out 5 squadrons of bombers in 1/10th of the second.

Whomever put that into the game needs to be smacked upside the head - seriously. 

no, the cv player that stacked their 5 bombers squadrons in the presence of an enemy fighter squadron needs to be smacked upside the head.

no, the cv player that stacked their 5 bombers squadrons in the presence of an enemy fighter squadron needs to be smacked upside the head.

Pretty  much - that concentration is really bad for any surface ship, strafe gives a counter if the opposing player isn't careful

With the introduction of Japanese-level number of squads, being stuck in the old 3 (4)-fighters, queue-able attack order, but no strafe, won't do much good for US carriers when one of two is going to spill through either way.

Strafe is there to counter the massive number of squadrons...at the cost of being unable to queue attack orders...

I tried strafe fire last nite and I got it to work!!! Fighter squad off my Ranger creamed the enemy squad to shreds,got all of their planes and mine had 1/2 ammo left so used them again on way back to carrier and they shot down another 3 planes. Now if I could get manual torp and bomb dropping to work as easy.

I tried strafe fire last nite and I got it to work!!! Fighter squad off my Ranger creamed the enemy squad to shreds,got all of their planes and mine had 1/2 ammo left so used them again on way back to carrier and they shot down another 3 planes. Now if I could get manual torp and bomb dropping to work as easy.

Looks like trying to land a MG burst against over 150kts flying planes is harder than trying to land torpedoes hit against 30kt gigantic ships...oh wait, it's an area attack, not dropping stuff!

I used to use this feature a lot, but after about 3 months of not playing, I got back into it and can't find strafing anywhere.  Help?

Hold alt learn to aim and if you are tier 4-5 it has been removed from those tiers. Also you can use strafe to disengage from "dogfights" but costs a plane.

I believe that the way the mechanics work right now, strafe is the 'great equalizer' and does have a negative impact: strafe puts IJN and USN fighters on an equal playing field.

It makes both type of fighter equally adept at 'erasing' large number of planes in an instant.  The difference between a IJN and USN strafe when enemy planes are all grouped up is negligible.  Also, it makes a 2v1 fighter encounter hugely in favor of the '2' group regardless if the solo fighter is USN or not, since all the second plane has to do is strafe (while you do sacrifice one squadron you ensure the death of the enemy squad).

Strafe is what makes the IJN strike package so superior to the USN strike package.

This is pretty evident if you go play CV at rank 5 where strafe has been deactivated, all of a sudden, the IJN strike package isn't as dominating as it used to be and the USN strike package is very viable...

While I am very much against eliminating strafe mechanics, I would be in favor of changing that mechanic to keep intact the balance of power between USN and IJN.  In other words, IJN strafe needs to be nerfed in comparaison to USN strafe.

My suggestion would be to cap the #plane killable by a strafe.  4-5 for IJN and 8-10 by USN...  Also USN fighters should not lose more than half their fighters to a IJN strafe...

my 2 cents

It makes both type of fighter equally adept at 'erasing' large number of planes in an instant.  The difference between a IJN and USN strafe when enemy planes are all grouped up is negligible.  Also, it makes a 2v1 fighter encounter hugely in favor of the '2' group regardless if the solo fighter is USN or not, since all the second plane has to do is strafe (while you do sacrifice one squadron you ensure the death of the enemy squad).

You don't even need to sacrifice the squadron anymore due to the disengage mechanic. You tie up a USN fighter with one of yours, disengage before you lose too many fighters, and quickly follow up with a strafe from the second fighter while the USN fighter is stuck there for 2 seconds or so. Now, whether or not you want to go through that much trouble while managing your bombers is another issue, but it definitely raises the skill ceiling on just how good you can get with CVs.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0