Goosesausage

What's the best destroyer in each tier?

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

54 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get into destroyers and I'm trying to decide which country to go with. I'm mostly interested in Tier 2 through Tier 5, but I'd also like to learn about the power rankings for the higher tiers as well. As far as gameplay goes, I'm looking to focus exclusively on using torpedoes. From what I can see, the Americans look the strongest at Tier 2 through Tier 4, but then the Japanese start to gain the advantage at Tier 5.

Thanks a million in advance for any helpful responses.

There's not really a best per tier. They all serve radically different purposes.

In general, the russian DD's are gunboats (especially at high tiers), the japanese DD's are torpedo boats and the USN ones are middle-of-the-road.

Well, as you mentioned you mostly like torps, Japanese destroyers are the best at that roll.  Join the Ninjas ;-)

If you're looking to focus exclusively on torpedoes the Japanese destroyers are the way to go. Their torps have range and the boats have better stealth. 

IJN has the exclusive stealth torp advantage until tier 7 and above where the US starts to have that ability as well. If you want to stealth torp then go IJN. But if you are an adrenaline junkie you will thoroughly enjoy the US DD's - especially the T5 Nicholas!

but then the Japanese start to gain the advantage at Tier 5.

Not really. Best tier 6 seems to be Anshan, the best tier 7 DD is Blyskawica followed by Kiev. Best tier 8 is Benson and Lo Yang. Best tier 9 is Fletcher.

It's hard to designate a 'best' per tier, since DDs are the one class of ship where WG's "national flavor" philosophy actually works really well. Each line has strengths and weaknesses overall in addition to individual strengths and weaknesses for each boat. 

My opinions are based on playing them and playing against them; in fairness, I've only played IJN up to Minekaze/Kamikaze-R, USN up to Farragut, and Russian up to tier 3. But I've played against them at all tiers extensively. I personally prefer USN DDs for team battles (Farragut's my baby) but my Kamikaze-R is my favorite stress-relief quick random game boat. But there are much better DD players than I am out there and people with more high-tier experience playing DDs, so YMMV with my opinions here. 

IJN are strong torp boats for their tier. They excel at stealth, and at scouting/spotting. I rarely if ever use my guns on IJN DDs (I've only played IJN DDs up to t5, but I've played against them at all tiers up to X, so observations are a combination of play exp and opposition exp) but I have great success in launching torps from concealment. In team battles, they are less strong because teams are generally better at screening and not steering a straight line, plus play tends to be confined to smaller areas meaning more course changes anyway and less places to hide, so stealthtorping isn't as easy, but in a public match you can almost always find a few people who don't understand how to use WASD. 

IJN DDs, for me, tend to be feast or famine. Either I have a huge game or I die quickly and badly. If you get spotted and can't break contact, you're dead if the enemy chooses to focus fire on you. If you have a few nimrods on other team or you're good, you can usually cut the weakest players out of the herd and kill them (WASD hack OP!) and then use torps to control movement of even good players, forcing them to maneuver. Even against a good team, you're invaluable spotting and scouting for teammates, but let's face it, in random no one works as a team anyway. 

USN DDs are balanced. You do not have stealth torp capacity at low tiers unless enemy approaching you and you approach perfectly. Even at higher tiers, your torps are not as long range or quick as IJN, and detect range tends to be a bit higher. They are jack of all trades...you have decent torp ranges starting at t6 and can stealthtorp in high tiers, but your guns have a high ROF and good hitting power. They are outstanding in the anti-DD role as your torps are quick enough to force enemy to maneuver and sometimes get a hit, but your guns hammer them. They're good at AA for destroyers starting at t6...not great overall, but good enough to discourage enemy once upgraded. They're outstanding ambush DDs...IJN DDs can stealthtorp in open water, but USN DDs, when not anti-DD screen, excel in islands, positioning themselves to ambush larger ships and get torps into them.

My Farragut is my favorite team battle unit...I can contribute in the AA role screening BBs when necessary, hunt/kill enemy DDs, and harass their larger units. Especially on island-rich maps like fault line or new dawn, Farragut is my favorite DD by far in team battles. USN DDs also tend to be more consistent for me than IJN DDs...fewer monster games, but fewer bad games. I call my Farragut my 'baby pre-nerf Cleveland' because aside from AA, she does what the Cleveland used to do...high ROF, high chance of starting fires, light up enemy ships and dodge their return fire. 

I have not played Russian DDs, but playing against them, they seem to reward skilled players and punish bad players (or those who cn't adapt to their strengths and weaknesses.) Use them well and you're a huge asset to your team, otherwise you die fast. Hard-hitting guns, fast speed...torps hit hard but short range, you're mostly a gunboat. But those guns...they can sit back at 10km and dodge your fire all day, while continually hammering you, knocking out modules, nibbling at HP. Lower effective ROF makes them less suited for anti-DD in my opinion...still good anti-DD boats, but USN has a slight advantage. But when I'm driving a cruiser, I fear Russians more than any other class because a good Russian DD driver can light me up and make it very difficult for me to fight back effectively using smoke and maneuverability. And if you let a Russian DD get close, those torps will ruin any ship's day. However, they have high detect ranges and, even though they hit like a CL, they are still armored like a DD. When you can land hits on a Russian DD, you can hurt one quick. 

TL;DR: IJN - strong deep strike/scouting unit, stealth torping of capital ships, weak guns, weak HP/armor USN- balanced, strong ambush hunter and anti-DD, decent AA (for a DD), no real strong or real weak points, jack of all trades. RUS - Cruiser and DD killer, gunboat. 

Edited by poeticmotion

@poeticmotion: Nice to see someone else who doesn't simply dismiss DD AA as useless.

best destroyers:

t2:  umikaze

t3: wickes

t4:isokaze/izy (depending on whether you prefer gunship)

t5: gremy/IJN 

t6:anshan/farragut (for non premium)

T7:kiev

t8: benson

t9: fletcher

t10: khab.

Hmm... I think it's still too early to say Shiratsuyu is the best T7 but Kiev is looking worried.

T8 I think Akizuki just steamrolled over everything.

Tomorrow we test drive the Germans!

The one simple rule is that the IJN DD's are either last, or second to last at every tier.  They've been nerfed into oblivion and are really not relevant to the game in any way, anymore.  Their guns are bad, their torpedoes are bad, they can't take a hit, they have awful AA even by DD standards, and in mny cases they're also too slow to outrun anything they face.

First thing you need to remember is you cant directly compare the DDs as they have different roles. 

IJN are anti BB and despite what mr doom and gloom above feels they reliably hit high average damage figures. Some of the new ones are very good. Stealth is the key to getting the best from them. As you wish to primsrily torp stuff this is the line for you.

USN & Russian DDs are primarily anti DD and are better at capping and close range.

However all of them can excel at any task, depends entirely on the skipper.

Best ships at each tier is subjective but for the excercise:

T2  Umikaze

T3 Wickes

T4 Isokaze

T5 Kamikaze/Fujin

T6 Shinonome

T7 Shiratsuyu

T8 Benson

T9 Yogumo*

T10 Khab*

* all the tier 9 & 10 DDs are fun to play and very capable

I'm looking to focus exclusively on using torpedoes.

In that regard, you can just exclude all Russian DD

Torp wise, I think IJN take the edge for the most part, but USN DD come close at high tier

starting from

T7 Shiratsuyu (nothing can beat 8+8 torps in that tier)

T8 Kagero (not great, but still a little bit better than Benson or Akizuki in terms of torpedos)

T9 both Fletcher and Yugumo are good at torping, 2 quintuple (2x5) torp for Flectcher, that has good range, slightly slower speed, but better detection range. 2 quadruple (2x4) for Yugumo that pack a very mean punch and good speed with not as good detection range.

T10 again Gearing and Shimakaze are both good at torping. gearing also better in close gun fight and longer smoke duration and armed with some overpower 16.5km torp that goes as quick as IJN torp.

Shimakaze can arm 15 torp with either super quick 8km F3 or comet like Type 93 mod3 that do 23k damage each. the best part is 15 torps in the water will make the enemy having a very hard time moving between it.

Here are my picks for top DD at tier

2. Tachibana

3. doesn't matter as they are all just about equally crappy

4. Clemson

5. Fujin / Kamikaze R

6. Anshan

7. Sims

8. Benson / Akizuki

9. Fletcher

10. Khab

These are the best in my opinion, and I am sure they are not the same for everyone.

DD's are different that cruisers or battlecows, as they have more individual national "flavor".

(the best DD is the one you do the best in, nothing more)

Edited by Umikami

Hmm... I think it's still too early to say Shiratsuyu is the best T7 but Kiev is looking worried.

T8 I think Akizuki just steamrolled over everything.

Well, if they are actually as good or better, WG will just have to nerf them.

2 Umikaze (crazy torps)
3 Wakatake (stealth torps)
4 Clemson (good guns)
5 Gnevny / Gremy.  (Fujin is good, but probably Gremy better)

6 Farragut (not by much) / Anshan (lot of fun) 
7 Shiratsuyu / Blyskawica
8 Akizuki (apparently)
9 Fletcher (guess) 
10 Khab (based on stats) 

Relatively well split: 
4 IJN (with two being T2 and T3) 
3 USN
2 RU 
2 other premiums: Anshan and Blyskawica
Lo Yang is underclassed by Benson and the new Germans. 

Edited by BlailBlerg

Best overall DD per tier (Assuming equal captains)

Tier 2: Storozhevoi (all DDs here have nearly the same detection, Storo has best guns)

Tier 3: No opinion

Tier 4: Izyaslav

Tier 5: Gremyaschy

Tier 6: Anshan

Tier 7: Leningrad (can pre-train/move captain over) or Blyaskawica (need to train captain from scratch)

Tier 8: Benson

Tier 9: Fletcher (Udaloi is pretty close)

Tier 10: Khabarosk

Best Torpedo DD per tier:

Tier 2: Umikaze

Tier 3: Watatake

Tier 4: Isokaze

Tier 5: Kamikaze/Kamikaze R/Fujin

Tier 6: Anshan or Hatsuharu (based on torpedo range/speed/ship speed/ship detection)

Tier 7: Shiratsuyu

Tier 8: Kagero

Tier 9: Fletcher (1.1 torpedo detection vs 1.9 on IJN)

Tier 10: Gearing (1.1 torpedo detection vs 1.9 on IJN)

Edited by Lightninger

Lightninger,

I notice no IJN DDs in your list of best overall and that they even get aced out in the upper tiers in the torpedo category. I assume that is what WG intended with the nerfs. Mission accomplished.

Tier 8: Benson

I will have to respectfully disagree with the Tier 8 choice... but IMO Akizuki belongs in Tier 9 anyway. :3

Benson could have the title back if they promote Akizuki to Tier 9 and replace her in Tier 8 with Asashio.

I will have to respectfully disagree with the Tier 8 choice... but IMO Akizuki belongs in Tier 9 anyway. :3

Benson could have the title back if they promote Akizuki to Tier 9 and replace her in Tier 8 with Asashio.

Akizuki is fine in T8 imo. She will struggle when fight against T9 DD. Super-Akizuki or Akizuki Kai, can be a T9 tho.

Asashio on the other hand....is almost the same as Kagero. If Asashio is ever introduce into the game (which I doubt she would) She would be just a Stock Kagero.