You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Maus123

USS United States(CVA-58)

24 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
703 posts
345 battles

Is there any chance we will see this beauty in-game?

update-01_CVA-58_uss_unitedstates-1.jpg

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,440 posts
2,164 battles

some general information would of been nice... had to go to Wikki to learn about it, would of been a very interesting ship.

I'm going to say no it wont, it dose fit the time period, and barley fits in the weight restriction...

But we already have our tier 10 confirmed to be the midway, and they plan to make the Iowa Conversion the tier 10 of the second carrier line

and admiral according to the wikki they started building it during 49, which is in the time frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_United_States_(CVA-58)

that's the wikki link if anyone wants to read up on it.

Alpha Tester
2,306 posts

Not necessarily. I think it fits nicely into the time frame, but if the tier 9 is the  Yorktown, then what chance I'd there of tier 10 being almost a decade in ghee future?

I also think there's already a tier 10.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
703 posts
345 battles

Not necessarily. I think it fits nicely into the time frame, but if the tier 9 is the  Yorktown, then what chance I'd there of tier 10 being almost a decade in ghee future?

I also think there's already a tier 10.

Tier 9 is the Essex(Yorktown is tier 8)

Alpha Tester
1,054 posts
5,383 battles

Tier 9 is the Essex(Yorktown is tier 8)

And the Tier 10 is the Midway, so no.  There will be no United States class supercarriers, as much as I'd like to see carrier based B-29's.

Alpha Tester
566 posts

Wow, I can actually answer a question!

Is there any possibility of us seeing the America class carrier in game?

Midway is the tier10 CV for USN, there won't be any ships with higher tier. - Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Will the never made aircraft carrier concept, America CVA 58, appear in game?

No. - Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

This is from the wiki.  The question mis-named the CV, but the point is the same.  No CV-58.

Keep in mind, the CV-58 was cancelled due to post-war budget cuts rather than intra-war cuts like the Montana.  A few years later the Forrestal's were approved and built as our first modern CVs with an original angle deck and essentially the same 'look and feel' of all US CV's since.

Edited by CatalinaPBY

Alpha Tester
1,440 posts
2,164 battles

Midway is the tier10 CV for USN, there won't be any ships with higher tier. - Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

This is from the wiki.  The question mis-named the CV, but the point is the same.  No CV-58.

Keep in mind, the CV-58 was cancelled due to post-war budget cuts rather than intra-war cuts like the Montana.  A few years later the Forrestal's were approved and built as our first modern CVs with an original angle deck and essentially the same 'look and feel' of all US CV's since.

Yes and no, it was canceled do to budget cuts, but it was also canceled with out congress' approval and with out the consent of the navy's top brass from what I read.

Apparently, there was a little power struggle between the Navy and the Air Force over how future conflicts would be fought in the late 40s. The Air Force thought that nuclear weapons would be a big enough deterrence from any surprise attack and that long range strategic nuclear bombing could accomplish anything that the navy could do... The bastards even argued that a navy was an obsolete Idea in this new nuclear world.

Where as the Navy argued that the strategic nuclear bombing of cities was immoral and that strategic bombers lacked the flexibility that a carrier force could offer.

When the time came to cut budgets the powers that be decided to support the Air forces idea and slashed the navy's budget and new super carrier in favor of the B-36, clearly was a mistake and it was the Navy that had the last laugh when the Korean War proved them right.

This is information I got from wiki so I don't know how accurate it is...

Here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_of_the_Admirals

Alpha Tester
566 posts

You are entirely right - I was trying to keep things simple with my original post.  I have lots of real references on this topic to back up wiki on this topic (currently have Norman Frieldman's "U.S. Aircraft Carriers: An Illustrated Design History (c1983) in my hot little hands :-)

I love this quote from page 253, "At the time, cancellation of the super carrier seemed to be symptomatic of a total rejection of the navy and its values by an army and air force oriented defense and political establishment.  Secretary of the Navy Sullivan resigned in protest, and many naval officers had to resign as the navy's case was made public during 1949.  At one point a naval aviator even offered to shoot down an air force heavy bomber to disprove that branch's claims of invulnerability to interceptions."

Apologies to my wing wiper colleagues, but I am smiling ear to ear at the 'generosity' of Navy to provide such a demonstration. ;-)

Go Navy, beat Air Force,

~Cat

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

Strange this carrier won't appear in WoWS. WG always has a taste for prototypes and blueprints. But this is one fantasy ship they're leaving out.

Alpha Tester
566 posts

It wasn't really a fantasy ship.  Years of planning went into her, and a keel was even laid.  That said, all this happened AFTER 1945.  As best I can tell, all the ships discussed for WoWs were in design or discussion before the end of WWII.

Also, there is no comparable carrier from any other nation that would equate to CVA-58.  In all honesty, nothing rivaling her was built until the US laid down the Kitty Hawk (CVA-63).  In game, she would be in a class by herself.

0 posts

Its unlikely that this ship will be used in-game

also...the lack of a island/command tower makes the ship feel....weird.

Alpha Tester
566 posts

There's a long story to be told about the flush deck.  It was designed that way at the behest of the aviators.  The fliers hated islands.  In reference to the USS Midway and her two sisters, a pilot back in 1949 remarked after the cancellation of CVA-58 that, "an accident with one Neptune (a large, 100,000# nuclear capable bomber) would wipe out the island superstructure giving the country a flush decker after all!"  The fly boys wanted no obstructions, but islands were mandated after the Langley (CV-1) given issues with shunting away boiler gasses.

In a way it's a good thing CVA-58 was cancelled because it was during the interim between that happening and the building of Forrestal (CVA-59) that the solution was found to make both black shoe (surface ship) and brown shoe (flier) navy happy.

The angled flight deck.

The advent of the British-developed angle deck removed the concern about islands and landing.  It also allowed landings without the constant fear of a crash bowling through the barrier and into parked (and often gassed and armed) planes near the bow of the ship.  It was the best of all worlds, and is the design for US supercarriers to this day.  From the air, there is little apparent different in layout between Forrrestal (CVA-59) and Bush (CVN-77).  Interestingly enough, the Ford (CVN-78), first in her class, looks almost to be a flush-decker.  The island has been moved back and minimized to the point of near-nonexistence.  Then again, in a nuke, the only reason you need an island now is for flight deck oversight.  The concern about exhaust became superfluous with CVN-65 and then forever more with the Nimitz (CVN-69) class.

Edited by CatalinaPBY

Beta Testers
601 posts
1,352 battles

Well I got to say being a history buff I missed this one. The fact that the keel was laid down makes this ship a reality. Very shocked about it..... :amazed:

[TF-74]
Alpha Tester
602 posts

Haha, that would be nice. Doubt it though. :/ Well there is the M60 in WoT Tier X Prem. Thats different though.

Members
255 posts

When the time came to cut budgets the powers that be decided to support the Air forces idea and slashed the navy's budget and new super carrier in favor of the B-36, clearly was a mistake and it was the Navy that had the last laugh when the Korean War proved them right.

Not only the Korean War.  Virtually every military engagement has proved the Navy right.  For example, the 1986 bombing of Libya.

0 posts

It's super pretty, but I can't imagine what Tier it would sit at. 

Maybe a premium? 

It won't be ingame at all. 

Alpha Tester
236 posts
106 battles

Strange this carrier won't appear in WoWS. WG always has a taste for prototypes and blueprints. But this is one fantasy ship they're leaving out.

WG usually adds prototypes and blueprints AFTER they have finished the majority of the real ones

it could be a possibility

waitt...

isn't the midway a slant deck

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

This ship could be a possibility as a tier X prem, but not for a long time.

waitt...

isn't the midway a slant deck

Nope.

Members
255 posts

You are entirely right - I was trying to keep things simple with my original post.  I have lots of real references on this topic to back up wiki on this topic (currently have Norman Frieldman's "U.S. Aircraft Carriers: An Illustrated Design History (c1983) in my hot little hands :-)

I love this quote from page 253, "At the time, cancellation of the super carrier seemed to be symptomatic of a total rejection of the navy and its values by an army and air force oriented defense and political establishment.  Secretary of the Navy Sullivan resigned in protest, and many naval officers had to resign as the navy's case was made public during 1949.  At one point a naval aviator even offered to shoot down an air force heavy bomber to disprove that branch's claims of invulnerability to interceptions."

It's amazing that anyone took seriously the Air Force claim that they were invulnerable to interceptions.