You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
beliy_demon

How to fight a strike lexi in Shokaku?

27 comments in this topic

[TNG-S]
Beta Testers
497 posts
10,557 battles

Wondering if anyone figured out a strategy that does not involve an AA cruiser.

Just had a game where I landed 3 strafes, yet he still managed to get 3 out of 6 torps and 2 half strength DB squads in.

That was enough to sink me because my fighters run out of ammo.

He forced me to trigger a repair,then hit again.   Nothing I could do...

Is there a secret?

p.s.  I was running 2/2/2.   If I was running 3/1/2, I would have survived.

Members
1,482 posts
2,375 battles

Huh, I'll have to try that Strike Lexingtons strategy, as I've been having a terrible time with strike Lexi, shokaku beats me up so badly.

[TNG-S]
Beta Testers
497 posts
10,557 battles

Put a captain with AS perk on this thing and respecced for 3-1-2.... lets how how many Clear Sky I can get ..<

[SCCC]
Members
713 posts
18,768 battles

Unless you were barraging him from the side or front of his planes you should have deleted his bombers.....

Once you get the hand of it a strike Lexington really isn't much of a threat if you understand their attack patterns

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,113 posts
13,504 battles

You will not win a running fight against a 013 Lex using strafe. You will kill planes, but not the squadrons. You gain more from causing panic by auto attacking to reduce accuracy right before the hit. After they drop, feel free to do a barrage on chase. Before, reduce overall damage rather than overall numbers.

• Cool 2

Members
1,482 posts
2,375 battles

You will not win a running fight against a 013 Lex using strafe. You will kill planes, but not the squadrons. You gain more from causing panic by auto attacking to reduce accuracy right before the hit. After they drop, feel free to do a barrage on chase. Before, reduce overall damage rather than overall numbers.

​Agreed.  Even when I'm in my fighter mod Lexington fighting a strike Lexington, the bombers are tough to chew through very quickly.  Just keep switching your fighters to attack the most threatening squads first.

Beta Testers
19 posts
2,788 battles

Huh, I'll have to try that Strike Lexingtons strategy, as I've been having a terrible time with strike Lexi, shokaku beats me up so badly.

I really hope this is sarcasm.  Just get the strike load out, fly straight into the enemy fleet, find shokaku, and you will have a good chance of sinking him. Don't worry about AA. the way it is calculated, most of your planes will survive.  I have a Shokaku, and this happens regularly to me. Striking back is next to impossible if the Lex has the AA upgraded. 

Members
1,482 posts
2,375 battles

I really hope this is sarcasm.  Just get the strike load out, fly straight into the enemy fleet, find shokaku, and you will have a good chance of sinking him. Don't worry about AA. the way it is calculated, most of your planes will survive.  I have a Shokaku, and this happens regularly to me. Striking back is next to impossible if the Lex has the AA upgraded. 

Ok, cause typically I'm the type of guy who doesn't engage when theirs a slight chance of fighter interception (I know, it's dumb).  I'll try that next. :)

[TNG-S]
Beta Testers
497 posts
10,557 battles

This does not work with 2-2-2.     

With 3-1-2 I have enough coverage to reduce his alpha strike so I can survive two waves.     With 2-2-2 simply impossible if the lexi driver is good.

Assuming random where no one provides AA cover for CV.

Its insane how OP they made Lexi, it forces IJN to have to go AS to even have a chance.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,113 posts
13,504 battles

This does not work with 2-2-2.     

With 3-1-2 I have enough coverage to reduce his alpha strike so I can survive two waves.     With 2-2-2 simply impossible if the lexi driver is good.

Assuming random where no one provides AA cover for CV.

Its insane how OP they made Lexi, it forces IJN to have to go AS to even have a chance.

It works fine with 2-2-2 if they are split bombers. You only need a second or two to panic and spoil a decent drop. They're also committing everything and unlikely to sink you on the first strike, meaning your entire fleet basically has protection from air strikes while you tank a moderate damage strike.

[SPITZ]
Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,143 battles

In my experience. The only time Strafe pre-drop is useful is if the Lexi lets you get two strafes off the 'long' way on their bombers.

Which anyone with half a brain will avoid one of them.

Members
1,482 posts
2,375 battles

Why is the strafing ability so nerfed on IJN fighters? When I'm in my fighter moded Lex against a strike Lex, I can strafe all three of his dive bombers at once and shoot all his planes down in one go (I've done this twice in two games so far).

Well...I just realized that I believe that was on purpose since the IJN fighers can easilly kill the USN fighters in a dogfight.

Edited by HBZK100

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Lex is scary, but nowhere near OP.

The key is intercepting his bombers before they spot you. If you do that then you'll have the time to kill a squad or two. With the recent buff to strafe, line up potential strafes to force him to dodge. Pick off the TB squad, keep 1 fighter with ammo to panic his DBs in case they get to you, and do as much damage as you can with your remaining squad. Friendly AA does work as well, contrary to popular opinion.

I like the matchup. Lex is deadly, but you have flexibility. If your spotted by plane icon goes off, and you don't know where he's coming from you're probably dead. But that's your fault if that happens.

Its a brutal, unforgiving matchup.  And it is EXCITING.

That being said, many Lexs don't go strike, and suffer very heavily versus Shokaku as a result.

Beta Testers
142 posts
2,387 battles

When the planes are on top of you, yes you want to panic them with your fighters.  However early detection is key and if you can get a few good strafes in before you panic them, that is how you melt the attack.

Generally, if you have not seen any strike aircraft for more then 3 minutes, you know that they are going around the edge of the map, at which point you pull your fighters back and start figuring out which side they are coming from.

• Cool 1

[TNG-S]
Beta Testers
497 posts
10,557 battles

Since last patch buffed strafe again, Strike lexi are nowhere as scary as they used to be. 

1 fighter squad will wipe out all of planes with 1 strafe now.

3-1-2 in Shokaku can shut down any Strike lexi now without a second thought.  (I do have the extra fighter perk though)

3-1-2 can also easily shut down 2-0-2 lex.   In fact, 3-1-2 with current balance can shut down anything but another 3-1-2.

Edited by beliy_demon

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

3-1-2 on Shokaku is rather... Mediocre though. You can deny the enemy is many places, but chances are a few will slip though.

The most disadvantage though is your damage is pretty much loaded entirely onto your single TB squad - and ship based AA will do a number on them.

What I've been having luck with is moving my CV one direction, and running my fighters down the map edge ahead of them. I'll then either send my attack planes down center (if he has fighters, they'll show at this point), and if they're unopposed, make an attack. There's also a good chance the enemy CAs have all steamed all leaving a BB or two isolated. By this time if my fighters haven't ran into his strike, swing them back behind your CV. On most larger maps your fighters will encounter his planes around the midpoint, while your CV should be around the far edge.

Alternatively, I can send my fighters ahead one way and my attack planes the other. It gives a better picture of where his planes are since you'll definitely spot them. On the other hand, CAs tend to move to the flanks so you'll have a harder time dropping.

Members
1,482 posts
2,375 battles

Since last patch buffed strafe again, Strike lexi are nowhere as scary as they used to be. 

1 fighter squad will wipe out all of planes with 1 strafe now.

3-1-2 in Shokaku can shut down any Strike lexi now without a second thought.  (I do have the extra fighter perk though)

3-1-2 can also easily shut down 2-0-2 lex.   In fact, 3-1-2 with current balance can shut down anything but another 3-1-2.

This is the thing that drives me nuts, the fighter mods on both sides should be equal, but for some reason, 12 planes in 3 squads can beat 12 planes in 2 squads?

[T-S-D]
Members
1 post
12,304 battles

They seem to have gone too far the other direction now. I almost always go with the Lexington strike package (no fighters), but when up against a Shokaku, my aircraft are gone before the battle is half over.  A couple of times recently one flight of IJN fighters (4 aircraft?) wiped out 21 dive bombers in under 3 seconds, and I have the 'Expert Rear Gunner' skill mastered. Now I don't even try to snipe the other carrier if it is a Shokaku, I have to hang back, let the DDs scout for the enemy, then try to avoid the IJN fighters when going after their ships. If the Shokaku captain is at all competent, I sometimes never even get close.

If I go with either of the other modules on the Lex that include fighters, I can protect my aircraft but am a non-factor in the sea battle. I don't find the bombs all that effective, torpedoes do more damage.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles

seriously you are having trouble dealing with a strike lexi?!? come ON! strike mod for overpowered as fuk shokaku has 2 of everything ffs. PoS deserves a nerf instead