You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review - ROCN Lo Yang

86 comments in this topic

Jakajan    150

Mike, I dunno, the repair cost is low for the Lo Yang to me, just 64k or so, very reasonable.

Mikebello    46

Mike, I dunno, the repair cost is low for the Lo Yang to me, just 64k or so, very reasonable.

Sims repair are 49k (sinked). Even in coop (if i do not stupid things or detonate) i gain good money (for coop, better then my molotov). Still have to decide :)

Garchy    8

I like the load outs, I picket the same. However, I think we only have 19 points to play with not 23. so after you get to ter 5, your only getting 4 more points. so youe last load outs cant be gotten. lest is my understanding.

SgtMajorBuzz    26

You are correct. 19 skill points is the maximum achievable. I hit 18 points in mine in April, and I am still about 7,500,0000 away from my 19th point.

• Cool 1

Garchy    8

You are correct. 19 skill points is the maximum achievable. I hit 18 points in mine in April, and I am still about 7,500,0000 away from my 19th point.

ty, been waiting for someone to confirm that.

USNA_76    27

I just luv this ship and have had some of my best games in it. I hemmed-and-hawed over it for weeks, but finally took the plunge and purchased it just before its availability ended. I was quite a ways off from earning my Benson and just didn't want to wait. When it comes to playability, it excels as a "knife fighter" and I have even managed to kill a few Fletchers in contested Cap fights. I also have a Benson, which a subsequently earned after buying my Lo Yang and I use them both, on a regular basis. 

atPrick__    3,493

Just wanted to say how much I'm liking this ship.

It is Benson in every way which is a good thing but it also earns ridiculous Credits which makes it well worth the loss of one turret and her short torps are spectacular. I wish WG would buff her Hydro a bit and make it more functional(Range), as it stands it is pretty suicidal to use. That's only a wish though, she is pretty freakin great as is.

Gonna be a beast in ranked, No doubt

BlailBlerg    256

Same thing.  Hydro seems to be used only say once every 3-5 games. Its pretty dull. 

The ship itself is incredible though.  the nice maneuverability, not getting popped by random torps.   MMMM.  

WhiteRecon    63

I'm liking it, probably 10 battles so far.  It's a heck of a spotter for capital ships with its speed and defensive capabilities.  I chased two CAs last night keeping them lit for 2 BBs backing me up - the CAs refused to fire believing they could go stealth but never could b/c I was right on top of them.  In reading this article, I probably should have been back a bit to stealth fire - but then again I kept hopine they would turn into a cap so I could ambush with torps.  Good ship, I have Khaba and Shima so not interested in grinding USN DD line.

SgtMajorBuzz    26

A dirty little tactic I have been working on... find the lone CA or BB in the last half of the match, get in front of the ship, preferably when they are firing at someone else, pop smoke when they are about 2 km from my detect range and stop. As long as I am in the smoke, their radar never gives them the audible alert of my presence. Once I estimate they are close enough, I use sonar and put 10 torps into them at about 2km in a tight spread. It's tricky to pull it off, and its suicidal if it fails, but they payoff is glorious.

Edited by SgtMajorBuzz

WhiteRecon    63

A dirty little tactic I have been working on... find the lone CA or BB in the last half of the match, get in front of the ship, preferably when they are firing at someone else, pop smoke when they are about 2 km from my detect range and stop. As long as I am in the smoke, their radar never gives them the audible alert of my presence. Once I estimate they are close enough, I use sonar and put 10 torps into them at about 2km in a tight spread. It's tricky to pull it off, and its suicidal if it fails, but they payoff is glorious.

yeah, I'm at 10 battles, haven't tried that move yet - but sounds fun.  That German hydro tho, it can bite ye.  

Khafni    639

I bought it back when it was originally offered. It's a C hull Benny with Sonar. Performs to less than Benson standards with DMG and WR that rest slightly below Benson averages. I'd say it's a worth it buy if you are a big time USN Destroyer player, but then you'd probably already have the Benson.....

I basically purchase -most- of the DDs offered unless they are T3-T2 stuff. I don't regret the purchase of the Lo Yang, I just haven't put it to much use yet! I do have a captain that I share between both the Anshan and Lo Yang, which helps immensely.

I'm looking at getting the Lo Yang but am not sure how to 'balance' the captain skills between Lo Yang and Anshan. The play styles are quite different due to the ships' design differences. How have you set up your captain? Or have you decided to have a captain for each with different skills?

BlailBlerg    256

I'm looking at getting the Lo Yang but am not sure how to 'balance' the captain skills between Lo Yang and Anshan. The play styles are quite different due to the ships' design differences. How have you set up your captain? Or have you decided to have a captain for each with different skills?

She's an amazing ship and fun, but share a captain with Anshan doesn't really work. 
  • Cool 2

Khafni    639

She's an amazing ship and fun, but share a captain with Anshan doesn't really work. 

Yeah. That's what is holding me back. I know BFT for both. SI for both (IMO). CE for both. Anshan needs EM but both benefit from LS. I have AFT on Anshan right now but will probably respec to SE because both will benefit from that (or DE). My Anshan captain is 16 pts now and soon to be 17. Once there I will have BFT, EM, LS, SI, SE or DE, and CE. Thinking hard on getting Lo Yang. May do it in the next 16 hours or so she is still on sale.

Thanks for the input!

BlailBlerg    256

Is there any use for this ship with the Germans out now? 

HazeGrayUnderway    2,576

Is there any use for this ship with the Germans out now? 

IMO, no.

1.  Lo Yang is really a Hull-C Benson but with Hydro access.

2.  The German DDs get Hydro.  Not only that, the same tiered one as Lo Yang has longer ship detection range than Lo Yang's own Hydro consumable by about 1km.

3.  Lo Yang was never a USN Captain Trainer and Pan Asia Ships are few.

The only real draw for Lo Yang is for some reason you really insist on having a Hull-C AA oriented Benson but want Hydro instead of Defensive Fire.  But if you want a Hull-C AA Benson, then get the Benson herself.  If you wanted a DD with Hydro, go German.  They're FREE.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

WhiteRecon    63

IMO, no.

1.  Lo Yang is really a Hull-C Benson but with Hydro access.

2.  The German DDs get Hydro.  Not only that, the same tiered one as Lo Yang has longer ship detection range than Lo Yang's own Hydro consumable by about 1km.

3.  Lo Yang was never a USN Captain Trainer and Pan Asia Ships are few.

The only real draw for Lo Yang is for some reason you really insist on having a Hull-C AA oriented Benson but want Hydro instead of Defensive Fire.  But if you want a Hull-C AA Benson, then get the Benson herself.  If you wanted a DD with Hydro, go German.  They're FREE.

I really like the yangker, finally got the concealment so went with 6km torps.  The Germans may be free, but they are big and clunky and seen from the moon when they pull the trigger.  I still like my Hang Lo Yang.

SgtMajorBuzz    26

I really like the yangker, finally got the concealment so went with 6km torps.  The Germans may be free, but they are big and clunky and seen from the moon when they pull the trigger.  I still like my Hang Lo Yang.

I agree. I was starting to think the Lo Yang was obsolete with the new German DDs,  but in my opinion,  they are awful in their current state. I, too, am going to hang out with my Yang out
  • Cool 1

WhiteRecon    63

I agree. I was starting to think the Lo Yang was obsolete with the new German DDs,  but in my opinion,  they are awful in their current state. I, too, am going to hang out with my Yang out

lol, German DDs are zero interest to me right now.  Really liking Lo Yang with a speed flag.  The two torp choices are so different, they are both useful depending on mood.  Heading into an engagement you can prep the field with the slow ones way in advance, and they have way low detection too.  I'm used to my Shima torps being seen by anyone now, the slow ones can be harder to predict with 9km travel time.

HazeGrayUnderway    2,576

If you're looking for a Tier VIII DD Knife Fighter, then Hull-B Benson is already better.  She's also free and you can stuff whatever USN captain you want.  The Hydro on Lo Yang is too short ranged.  3km?  You may as well rely on auto / proximity detection.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

WhiteRecon    63

If you're looking for a Tier VIII DD Knife Fighter, then Hull-B Benson is already better.  She's also free and you can stuff whatever USN captain you want.  The Hydro on Lo Yang is too short ranged.  3km?  You may as well rely on auto / proximity detection.

Meet me in B-cap, biiish.  Kappa

Umikami    1,181

Hey, Mouse; haven't seen you for a minute, so first things first:

A safe and blessed holiday season to you, and all those you love, and a happy new year, from all of us here in the desert, along with a huge thank you for all the hard work you have put into this game during the 2016 player year. All the reviews, the advice, and the hours it took you to do that.

Thank You, from just a player who is grateful.

And, because you ain't getting all those compliments for free, I would like it if, sometime during the new year, we might get your opinions on the new German DD line, and how they need to be played to get the best performance out of them, especially in light of all the emotion on their recent nerfs and release. I had chosen not to play them until the initial rush was over, so I could play them against something other than German DD's, but after looking at the opinions of the player base I might not have to wait as long as I thought I would.

(sadly, I must admit I have spent some of this weekend trashing around in a Tachibana seal-clubbing at tiers 2 and 3 to get an idea of how these new ships performed; and, yes, I am ashamed!)

Anyway, as I know you to be someone who is a dedicated fan of the game, and in light of the very strong emotions around the new German DD's, I just thought some reliable information on them from the best source in WoW would be helpful.

Thanks again for 2016; you made it much better.

Happy Holidays!

Umi

Edited by Umikami
  • Cool 1

AVR_Project    741

^^^^^^ This post above and more.  Happy 2017 !!

Got a Lo Yang by 'accident' in a Santa box.

Played a couple Co-Ops and read your review.  I actually went with the speed upgrade since rudder shift is already silly fast.  I mean the WASD 'AD' is already good, so I buffed the 'W'.

Earlier posts are absolutely correct that the Anshan (Gnevny) and the Lo Yang (Bensen) are completely different captain setups.  I got an 'Anshan' in a similar 'accident'.

Haven't had much luck against bots with the slower torps since they are despicable creatures that use illegal aim-assist, and can sense torpedoes too quick.  They don't have to wait for the captain to say something.

My impression is that the Hydro is about as useful as...  well..  It's not been useful.  I'd have to do stupid things and risk the game to make it useful.  Grounding out on the center island of an occupied cap is 'stupid things'.  However, if I find myself in this position, it could be used to check the other side to see what they are doing.  It's highly situational and might get used once every 2-3 games.  It's not like the Belfast where I can simultaneously pop smoke and radar and instantly invisifire.

Since you published this article, they separated Upgrade Slot #1: Magazine protection and weapons protection.  On the other hand, they've been giving away Juliet Charlie flags like crazy in the containers and campaigns.  I'm using Main Armaments Mod 1 and permanently assigning the anti-det flags.

Can't say I would have bought this.  In the couple missions today, it's been a lot of fun.

:-)

sean_solo7    2

Your write ups are SO well done.  Every one of them!!  You are a treasure to this community.