LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review - ROCN Lo Yang

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

82 posts in this topic

Is it 1.5x creds for prem, and does it apply to this ship? I don't remember because I don't often play prems in this game :V My only one is the Grem, and USN DDs are currently my fav (used to be Cleve b4 nerf)

Is it 1.5x creds for prem, and does it apply to this ship? I don't remember because I don't often play prems in this game :V My only one is the Grem, and USN DDs are currently my fav (used to be Cleve b4 nerf)

For science, I took both ships into Co-Op a handful of times, fired my guns once, fired my torpedoes once and then made sure I died without doing any damage or earning any ribbons.  Here's what happened in two tier 6 to 8 Domination Matches where my teams won and wiped out the enemy. 

It appears that the ships share the same costs for HE ammunition but the torpedoes are more expensive to launch on the Lo Yang (3 times as expensive).  The repair costs on the Lo Yang are 22,000 credits less expensive and she appears to earn almost 1.5x as much as the Benson (1.42x).  I hope this helps!

Benson (B-Hull)

• Repairs              91,000 credits
  • HE Shell costs           10 credits per
  • Torpedo costs            50 credits per
  • Income Earned        13,277 credits

Lo Yang

• Repairs              69,000 credits
  • Torpedo costs           150 credits per
  • Income Earned        18,911 credits

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

I really wish I had money, I want a destroyer that's newer than my gremmy but I am just not lucky enough. 

For science, I took both ships into Co-Op a handful of times, fired my guns once, fired my torpedoes once and then made sure I died without doing any damage or earning any ribbons.  Here's what happened in two tier 6 to 8 Domination Matches where my teams won and wiped out the enemy. 

It appears that the ships share the same costs for HE ammunition but the torpedoes are more expensive to launch on the Lo Yang (3 times as expensive).  The repair costs on the Lo Yang are 22,000 credits less expensive and she appears to earn almost 1.5x as much as the Benson (1.42x).  I hope this helps!

Benson (B-Hull)

• Repairs              91,000 credits
  • Torpedo costs            50 credits per
  • Income Earned        13,277 credits

Lo Yang

• Repairs              69,000 credits
  • Torpedo costs           150 credits per
  • Income Earned        18,911 credits

Thanks a lot for the info! Really makes me want the ship now. But I dislike packages :/

Nice write-up as always.

I do notice that my concealment rating is 6.4km with the concealment mod and camo.

Also, oddly enough, my RoF is 20 RPM with BFT. Not sure if the game rounds up but I didn't think so. Regardless, my Lo Yang currently says 20 rpm. Again, minor things. Good work :)

same ROF as benson at 20.0rpm.   it fires fast and furious for sure.    I love both benson and farragut for their gunfire.

Yes, with Basic Fire Training, your Rate of Fire will jump from 18rpm to 19.8rpm.  The game rounds up.

The Benson, however, with the C-Hull, has 20rpm with 4 guns vs 18rpm with 5 guns on the B-Hull.  The difference is 80rpm on the C-Hull (but with better AA) and 90rpm on the B-Hull.

Great review Mouse ..... spot on IMO.

I bought her and am really pleased with her (loved Benson). The price was on the high side (with the usual bundle) but I buy premium time and doubloons anyway, so taking that into account the ship was nearer to $37, which isn't too bad. Still think Anshan is better value for money though.

I run smoke and hydro, both premium with superintendent.

LET THE SEAL CLUBBING COMMENCE!:izmena:

Spoiler

With her back in the premium shop, I was looking for a good place to ask this question, and your review was the first most logical place since they haven't put up a forum thread announcing the return:

Why does WG keep saying that Lo Yang was a Benson-class destroyer, when she was actually an Allen M. Sumner-class destroyer?  By the write-ups, she's fully 600 tons heavier than a Benson-class, and that's just looking at the very first stat available.

Edit: And apparently Lo Yang should have a sixth deck gun!

More on USN Destroyers here.  The info doesn't come from me, but the community answering a question that I asked.

Edited by Fishrokk

The Lo Yang in this game appears to be the USS Benson, but there is confusion because there were apparently two retired US DDs with that name in the ROC navy inventory.

• Edit
  • Watch this page

ROCS Lo Yang

ROCS Lo Yang (DD-14) may refer to one of the following destroyers of the Republic of China Navy:

Last edited 6 months ago by an anonymous user

Interesting.  The Wiki page on the Benson lists the lead being transferred to ROCN in 1954, but doesn't show what they renamed her.

Thanks, Nhi_Vanye!

welp saves me some cash which means I'll have leftovers for when I throw my wallet at the Scharnhost. Thx for the review

The only thing stopping me from getting this is the USN DD gun arc and awful torpedo choices. I like the hydro, I like the ROF, I like the rudder.

But with only 4-guns and US DD arcs, getting damage on things over two inches away is way to much effort for me.

I sorta want this ship because I enjoy the Benson, but I think I'll pass. Nice write-up

I bought it back when it was originally offered. It's a C hull Benny with Sonar. Performs to less than Benson standards with DMG and WR that rest slightly below Benson averages. I'd say it's a worth it buy if you are a big time USN Destroyer player, but then you'd probably already have the Benson.....

I basically purchase -most- of the DDs offered unless they are T3-T2 stuff. I don't regret the purchase of the Lo Yang, I just haven't put it to much use yet! I do have a captain that I share between both the Anshan and Lo Yang, which helps immensely.

Edited by Canadatron

Hm, I bought it and I think this is a ship that requires a lot of focus to do well in. It can hunt destroyers with it's unique tools but I have yet to succeed to do that.

It definitely has a unique playing style. I bought mine when it first came out because I already had the Anshan. I wrongly assumed it would be a T8 version of the Anshan. It took me many battles to realize it's true potential. It may be weaker than the Benson, but it definitely has its plus side. I will let anybody reading this decide for them self what it is. Because if I tell too many people, everybody will be doing it.

Edited by SgtMajorBuzz

It has it's plus side for sure. Here is what I have learned.

It is a thinkers ship, if you use it like a normal dd you will be wrecked.

To unlock it's true potential you need a 15 point captain, grinding that is painful at T8 but it means you have to play it and think about how to use it best.

Try to understand when you must use hydro to give you an edge, think the destroyer I am knife fighting with, may have launched torps now, because I would have if I was them, so let's use hydro and see... Ah hah.

Use hydro in smoke to try to guess when you should get out to avoid torps.

Use hydro when approaching enemy smoke to give you a 1.5km edge in spotting destroyers over the one in smoke.

I'm trying to think of other ways to use it.

The short range torps are unique and dangerous. With CE I think the ship will be extremely dangerous, though all this said I think the Yo lang needs a 1k hp buff to match the Benson, but then again maybe not.

Also know while weaker, her long range torps have a quicker reload period and can often reload in smoke if the timing is right.

One last thing, if you are hiding in smoke and use hydro another destroyer has to close 1.5km through smoke and your incoming fire to get to you to see you, so hydro is great used defensively. It also spots those pesky slower American torps and Russian torps at 2.5 times their normal detection range, it is pretty great when it works.

Edited by Jakajan

I managed to punk a Fletcher today with the tactic outlined above - use hydro to dodge torps early on. Then managed to do the same thing to a Lo Yang on the single hydro charge. Knife fighting in and out of smoke is this things specialty.

That same game managed to punk a supertester in a Scharnhorst by using his own DD's smoke to get within 2km - those 6km warp speed torps are amazing!

I do not know if buy or not Lo Yang. I have a Sim and i have fun with it. I only play coop so rewards are very low , at tier 8 repair are high. Then: get it or just play Sim?

I got a Zao to follow me into my smoke earlier this morning. Put 5 of the 6 km torps in him at 1.5k. I don't use Hydro much, I swap it out for Def Fire.he managed to hurt me pretty bad, but it wasn't enough to kill me :) 

I use the fast 6km torps, those combined with Hydro and some smoke is crazy! Last time out I managed 8 kills in 3 games, including an almighty Midway! The AA isn't 1/2 bad on it either really, all least it gives a CV something to think about.