Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SireneRacker

The Zuiho

105 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles

Zuiho is just a pain right now. Most of the battles I face a Bogue which is full of fighters. And where the fighters are not watching a Cleveland does. And when a plane gets into a 7km radius, it will be insta-dead. Of course you also get matched up with Tier 6 carriers. Also full of fighters. You try to launch an air strike? AA-heavy Cruiser is in 6km range and srews it up. You want to play defensive? They kill your planes even above an Aoba. And finally when you face only another Zuiho, your team srews it up by either TKing you or forming a lemming train leaving the home base alone. One Cleveland is in the game, the enemy has it. A Carrier has strike loadout, your team has him. You launch eight Torps right next to the enemy, he will dodge them or they are just a few metres too short. You let your planes fly above a Cestroyer? Too bad he will shoot at least two down.

In result the Zuiho is like the worst carrier in this game. No matter what you do, you will die. I can alread hear it "Go home if you can`t handle it" I am at home! "Learn playing the Zuiho" How when I can`t even launch a plane without twelve fighters above my carrier? Carriers are just broken WG has decided to nerf them into oblivion so everyone at high Tiers is having fun and we don here can suffer. I am sick of it and in case you want some here you can have all my Popcorn

• Cool 5

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

I just got out of it, the MM sucks sometimes. My tricks for playing were playing skiddish if it was me and a bouge alone as they usually run the 2-0-1 build, If you have a bouge or independence on your team rely on them for AS. Play strike and learn to give up fighters to distract other fighters to destroy a ship, manual drop is a godsend to use as it gives you some much more damage. I also look at numbers for aircraft before loading in if the bouge is one or two above you hes all upgraded if hes below he is missing a plane or a air setup. 

Members
122 posts
1,539 battles

Zuiho was a bit rough, but excellent practice for learning how to pick your spots. Learn to use friendly US BBs to scrape off enemy fighters, or better yet feed a cleveland a clear skies medal doing the same. If you absolutely HAVE to try and take out a Cleveland from the air, try with both squads at once with long range drops designed to cross. Probably won't work but the best time to try is when they are occupied with friendly ships.

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,380 battles

Zuihou is very bad IMO. It just has no potential to do anything as long as AS Bogue exists. The total lack power in it is devastating.

Now, inb4 people go and check my stats and claim I just want CV buffs...

The Zuihou is just bad. I really want to get Ryuujou, but Zuihou is pushing my limits.

Beta Testers
347 posts
1,008 battles

Get used to it Wargaming has ben nurfing the CV's and yes i mean all of them sence weekend beta. every patch new cv nurff started when people who played BB's started yelling about how OP CV's were even after obvious screw ups by them.  in the clip below you see this the guy sees the Torpedo bombers but only turns slightly and in a direction that actualy help get them on target

• Cool 2

Members
122 posts
1,539 battles

I will say this - Even if you feel like you are struggling with an AS bogue harassing you constantly, you are having a far greater influence on the battle than he is. Play cat and mouse with his fighters, strike 3 places at once and you will be able to get one squad in unmolested while you pull the other 2 back.

[-KIA-]
Members
5,217 posts
14,553 battles

Yeah, AA Bogues are a pain in the butt.  That's why we need to nerf AA carriers.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Yeah, AA Bogues are a pain in the butt.  That's why we need to nerf AA carriers.

I think they should rebalance USN CVs they tend to wipe out low tier japanese CVs without a problem.

Beta Testers
1,466 posts
4,384 battles

Ax4qRNJ.png

This Image says it all, if you learn how to strike and avoid the bouges planes you will be very powerful.

if the image says it all, then me in a bogue wouldnt be able to outplay a zuiho, right? yeah, thats what i tought

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,407 battles

I like to bait Bogue fighter swarms with my dive bombers, pull them over my AA ships, and then alt-barrage them with my lonely fighters.  Although it is wasteful of my DBs (and with the recent patch DBs are actually decent now) it frees up airspace for all my lovely torps.

Yeah, sometimes it doesn't work - a savvy Bogue captain can usually wipe me out no matter what I try.  But I always get some hits in.  I've had several of my best games ever in Zuiho.  And trust me, I'm *not* any good.

Members
372 posts
164 battles

Epic battle, Zuiho vs Bogue, Bogue lost. ;)

nogutscwsdt.jpg

http://wowreplays.com/Home/Replay/1218

Imho Zuiho is pretty good - ofc you will have some games where you lose to many planes too fast but come on!

Not all games are like that? ;)

Could be easier here on EU server because of more players here = better mm though....(didn't see tier VI CVs in my Zuiho in 0.5.3 so far...)

Edited by Trigger_Happy_Dad

Members
226 posts
3,314 battles

The Zuiho is actually a fantastic CV once you get the hang of it. Yes AS Bogues are a pain but they're very easy to outplay most of the time. The key to the Zuiho is patience. You can't just send your squads out desperately trying to do some damage before his fighters molest you, you have to start out by playing it safe and baiting him. Look for the best AA ships on your team (Cleveland > New Mexico > Aoba/Nurnberg > any cruiser with a catapult fighter up) and park your strike squads behind them and send your fighter out scouting. You need to try and identify a few things:

-Where the Bogues fighters are.

-If there are any undefended targets you can strike without risking getting intercepted.

-If you can sneak your strike squad around the edge of the map to nuke the Bogue without your planes being detected.

If there's nothing you can hit without being intercepted, just keep your strike squads safely behind your best friendly AA ships. Use your fighters to bait his to come fight you where your friendly AA can tip the scales in your favour. Even if he doesn't fully engage they'll usually wander into AA range and take a few hits, maybe lose a plane or two. Just keep doing that, it'll drive the AS Bogue player insane since all they want to do is shoot down planes and you're denying them that opportunity. Eventually they'll get bored and probably engage you over friendly AA out of sheer boredom. When his fighters die, or he decides to run them back to the carrier to resupply you send your strike planes out to hit the nearest target of opportunity. Reload your strike planes and send them back to your friendly AA ships. Rinse and repeat the process until the Bogue is out of fighters and you can send your strike squads out with impunity.

Now let's say his fighters are on one side of the map, and you see an opening where you can sneak your planes around behind enemy lines to attempt to nuke the Bogue. This is a risky move but it's fairly easy to hit the Bogue for massive damage if you get to it unmolested because it's horribly slow and turns extremely slowly. Send your fighter squad to go tease and antagonize the Bogue's fighters but don't engage. Just send them out and then get him to chase you to friendly AA. When he disengages push your fighter forward again and then retreat again when he moves towards you. Now as far as the actual strike on the Bogue goes, once you've located him get both your TB squadrons nearly on top of each (so you can manually drop both of them at once), and leave your DB squad out of the Bogue's AA gun range. While this is going on engage his fighters (hopefully where friendly AA can assist) so that he's focused on that. Now slam the Bogue with your torpedo bombers, you should easily get 4+ hits on him. Now get your DB ready and watch for him to burn his repair to stop the flooding. He might not do it right away if he sees you've got DBs nearby and that's fine let him eat some flooding ticks until he finally hits his repair. Now hit him with your DB squad, just be sure to wait about 10s before striking so he's not immune to your fires. Now he should be lit up like a christmas tree and his repair is down. Laugh and watch him burn to the ground helplessly, then spend the rest of the game doing whatever the hell you please with your strike squads.

• Cool 2

Members
122 posts
1,539 battles

if the image says it all, then me in a bogue wouldnt be able to outplay a zuiho, right? yeah, thats what i tought

That's because you don't outplay a Bogue so much as outsmart them. Don't fight the Bogue head-on and let the AAA do the heavy lifting. Lastly, make sure your planes are where the fighters aren't.
  • Cool 2

Members
372 posts
164 battles

Thx to 0.5.3 faster planes and torpedo acceleration skill the Zuiho is pretty good again! ;)

zuihoooooooooooooos8us9.jpg

Big Race: 15 torpedo hits, 9 aircraft kills, 107k damage. gg (vs Zuiho)

Fault Line: 11 torpedo hits, 1 kill, 10 aircraft kills, 90k damage. gg (vs Zuiho + Independence)

Strait:        15 torpedo hits, 4 kills, 16 aircraft kills, 96k damage. gg (vs Zuiho)

Big Race:        2 torpedo hits, 7 aircraft kills, 20k damage. bg :/ (vs Zuiho)

Strait:          18 torpedo hits, 5 kills, 12 aircraft kills, 120k damage. gg (vs Zuiho + Hosho)

an excellent parking place:

hidesikwh.jpg

http://wowreplays.com/Home/Replay/1250

;)

Beta Testers
1,466 posts
4,384 battles

That's because you don't outplay a Bogue so much as outsmart them. Don't fight the Bogue head-on and let the AAA do the heavy lifting. Lastly, make sure your planes are where the fighters aren't.

yeah, really easy with 2 fighters in the air, one on each side. no

Members
122 posts
1,539 battles

yeah, really easy with 2 fighters in the air, one on each side. no

You have 4 squadrons to their 3 - don't be afraid to settle for a single squadron getting by unmolested. They can't cover left, right and center all at once, especially if you use your own fighter to hunt down their bomber squad and force them to defend.

Beta Testers
1,466 posts
4,384 battles

You have 4 squadrons to their 3 - don't be afraid to settle for a single squadron getting by unmolested. They can't cover left, right and center all at once, especially if you use your own fighter to hunt down their bomber squad and force them to defend.

i only have 3 attack squadrons, he has 2 fighter squadrons. see the problem?

Members
122 posts
1,539 battles

i only have 3 attack squadrons, he has 2 fighter squadrons. see the problem?

No, I don't. Either you have 1 attack squadron able to get through while you withdraw your other two, or you have 2 attack squadrons getting through because 1 of his fighter squads is peeling back to protect his bomber from your fighters. You won't light the scoreboard on fire obviously but as the match wears on increasing frustration on his part will hopefully lead to him over-pursuing and being baited into friendly AAA.

Beta Testers
1,466 posts
4,384 battles

No, I don't. Either you have 1 attack squadron able to get through while you withdraw your other two, or you have 2 attack squadrons getting through because 1 of his fighter squads is peeling back to protect his bomber from your fighters. You won't light the scoreboard on fire obviously but as the match wears on increasing frustration on his part will hopefully lead to him over-pursuing and being baited into friendly AAA.

yeah, because the bogue will definitely care about his own bombers when he can deny my presence in the match. lol no

Members
372 posts
164 battles

yeah, because the bogue will definitely care about his own bombers when he can deny my presence in the match. lol no

nice replay vs a Bogue:

(4 kills, 58k damage)

vs Bogue & Langley:

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/1267-Zuiho-Big-Race-Zuiho-vs-Bogue-Langley-np-

(15 torpedo hits, 99k damage, 2 kills, 25 aircraft kills, gg)

(many low tier US CV players just don't play well)

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

Epic battle, Zuiho vs Bogue, Bogue lost. ;)

nogutscwsdt.jpg

Imho Zuiho is pretty good - ofc you will have some games where you lose to many planes too fast but come on!

Not all games are like that? ;)

Could be easier here on EU server because of more players here = better mm though....(didn't see tier VI CVs in my Zuiho in 0.5.3 so far...)

What are those circles drawn around your ship? 

Members
372 posts
164 battles

What are those circles drawn around your ship? 

Something about spotting distance I guess, it's part of the mini map Mod from Aslain's Mod Pack.

I'm basically ignoring that circle ingame, I know the detection ranges of my ships. ;)

Members
2,686 posts
4,301 battles

Dear god,  no!  After playing USN CV's the Zuiho is amazing.  So much more damage potential and control over the battlefield proper.  You just have to learn to dance with fighters and AA.  You can't always go for the long bombs,  and sometimes you just have to NOT launch.  You don't really have planes to spare but the good news is,  neither does he.  If you've got good anti-air ships on your team,  use'em.  They want those plane kills as much as you want them dead.  Pick slower cruisers or battleships that are close to the front lines ((So long as their fighters aren't around)) and do quick runs on them.

So much more fun then the Bogue,  it's not even funny.

Sign in to follow this