Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Atom_Alchemist

Destroy Us for Doubloons February 19- ALTERNATIVE

10 comments in this topic

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,023 posts

I have no interest in doubloons (as the free ships are more then sufficient for enjoy ability in the game) If i face you guys, instead of getting doubloons? will you guys instead donate the cash value of my doubloon earnings to charity (namely, a charity, i've been on the receiving end of, The Wounded Warrior project?)

pretty please? suger and AP and HE shells on top?

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Or how about a 501©3 that doesn't get terrible ratings for how much money they waste? Wounded Warrior Project should be ashamed of their admin and overhead costs, and the high salaries they pay their management (well higher than the norm for non-profits, even when accounting for size of organization and other variables,) with money that should go to help veterans. I've spent a good part of my career in the non-profit field, and WWP has an incredibly poor reputation for wasting their donors' money. Yes, they help some veterans, but they could help MANY more if they didn't have one of the highest % of overhead and staff costs in the non-profit sector, plus insane money wasted on marketing and PR for very poor ROI.

Love their mission, but the organization enrages me because I can't stand anyone that takes advantage of veterans and people's desire to help them the way WWP does. 

Edited by poeticmotion

Members
1,216 posts
951 battles

I have no interest in doubloons (as the free ships are more then sufficient for enjoy ability in the game) If i face you guys, instead of getting doubloons? will you guys instead donate the cash value of my doubloon earnings to charity (namely, a charity, i've been on the receiving end of, The Wounded Warrior project?)

pretty please? suger and AP and HE shells on top?

Doubloons don't have a cash value for the company producing them. IE, it costs Wargaming nothing to give you doubloons; assigning value to them assumes that the receiver would have purchased them anyway - which is an awfully big logical leap of faith. Thus, in asking for their value to be donated, you're essentially requesting that Wargaming phone the charity of your choosing to offer $0... or, if we're talking about their value in terms of a seller-consumer exchange rate, then to take what was in essence a net-neutral transaction and turn it into a negative one. 
Edited by Tone_Kai

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,023 posts

Doubloons don't have a cash value for the company producing them. IE, it costs Wargaming nothing to give you doubloons; assigning value to them assumes that the receiver would have purchased them anyway - which is an awfully big logical leap of faith. Thus, in asking for their value to be donated, you're essentially requesting that Wargaming phone the charity of your choosing to offer $0... or, if we're talking about their value in terms of a seller-consumer exchange rate, then to take what was in essence a net-neutral transaction and turn it into a negative one. 

doubloons have no redeemable cash value, BUT because they are purchase with cash, they DO have a cash equivalent.

for example, let look at EVE online ISK, their in game currency, it has NOT cash value, however, because it has a offical RMT source (aka purchasing a plex and then reselling the plex) it DOES have a cash value (when i last played, pretty sure a plex was going for some 950,000,000 isk) 

Edited by Atom_Alchemist

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,023 posts

Or how about a 501©3 that doesn't get terrible ratings for how much money they waste? Wounded Warrior Project should be ashamed of their admin and overhead costs, and the high salaries they pay their management (well higher than the norm for non-profits, even when accounting for size of organization and other variables,) with money that should go to help veterans. I've spent a good part of my career in the non-profit field, and WWP has an incredibly poor reputation for wasting their donors' money. Yes, they help some veterans, but they could help MANY more if they didn't have one of the highest % of overhead and staff costs in the non-profit sector, plus insane money wasted on marketing and PR for very poor ROI.

Love their mission, but the organization enrages me because I can't stand anyone that takes advantage of veterans and people's desire to help them the way WWP does. 

true, they aren't the most effective non profit out there, and their overhead is quite high, however, they aren't bad per se. if i remember right (i researched this at one point) 75% of the money they get does go towards their stated mission (aka helping wounded vet) me personally, i have a soft spot for em, cause they helped me quite a bit when i came back from iraq, so i guess i'm biased.

Members
1,216 posts
951 battles

doubloons have no redeemable cash value, BUT because they are purchase with cash, they DO have a cash equivalent.

Yes, except that they have no value to Wargaming. IE, it takes no money for WG to produce this electronic currency. Now, they acquire monetary value when we purchase them (at least in theory :P - since WG continues to technically own any items we purchase with them, that's kind of up in the air, too), but until WG sells them to you, they aren't worth a red cent. To put it another way, were Wargaming a company producing nuts and bolts, they would in all likelihood have to acquire scrap metal (or raw steel), reforge it, craft said nuts and bolts... all of which is dealing with commodities (and human labor) that cost them money. WG, on the other hand, has an automated system that generates little pixels called doubloons... so, aside from man hours it took to design that matrix, nothing went into making that currency - it's valueless to them, and remains so even when they gift it to you.

NOT to say that what you're suggesting is a bad idea. All I'm saying is that it costs Wargaming nothing to present you with 'free' doubloons, but it does cost them something to take real dollars and pass them to a charity. 

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,023 posts

Yes, except that they have no value to Wargaming. IE, it takes no money for WG to produce this electronic currency. Now, they acquire monetary value when we purchase them (at least in theory :P - since WG continues to technically own any items we purchase with them, that's kind of up in the air, too), but until WG sells them to you, they aren't worth a red cent. To put it another way, were Wargaming a company producing nuts and bolts, they would in all likelihood have to acquire scrap metal (or raw steel), reforge it, craft said nuts and bolts... all of which is dealing with commodities (and human labor) that cost them money. WG, on the other hand, has an automated system that generates little pixels called doubloons... so, aside from man hours it took to design that matrix, nothing went into making that currency - it's valueless to them, and remains so even when they gift it to you.

NOT to say that what you're suggesting is a bad idea. All I'm saying is that it costs Wargaming nothing to present you with 'free' doubloons, but it does cost them something to take real dollars and pass them to a charity. 

and i would argue that by GIVING doubloons they take a profit loss, because they do not receive the cash value from us for those doubloons.

for example, if they give out lets just say 500,000 doubloon for this event, thats 500,000 doubloon they aren't selling at a profit, that profit loss equates monetary value. (i enjoy debates, i could just as easily be wrong, but i enjoy the debate for the debate itself)

Members
1,216 posts
951 battles

and i would argue that by GIVING doubloons they take a profit loss, because they do not receive the cash value from us for those doubloons.

But that's the rub. You might have been about to buy those doubloons. Someone else? Maybe not. I've never bought a doubloon myself (I've won a few thousand in a contest, but I don't have any need to purchase them), and I have no plans to. So if I were to kill them in this event and be offered these doubloons, WG wouldn't be "losing" a sale because the sale never would have occurred to begin with. 

Edited by Tone_Kai

[AWP]
[AWP]
Members
1,023 posts

But that's the rub. You might have been about to buy those doubloons. Someone else? Maybe not. I've never bought a doubloon myself (I've won a few thousand in a contest, but I don't have any need to purchase them), and I have no plans to. So if I were to kill them in this event and be offered these doubloons, WG wouldn't be "losing" a sale because the sale never would have occurred to begin with. 

if we assume 1/3 of the doubloon would've been purchased, that still ...166,666 doubloon worth of pure profit that wargaming is not receiving, it's a debit to their account to give away something they could otherwise sell at profit, and that profit give doubloon a intrinsic cash value.

sure the cash value isn't much, but it's something that if i am able, i will gladly give.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

true, they aren't the most effective non profit out there, and their overhead is quite high, however, they aren't bad per se. if i remember right (i researched this at one point) 75% of the money they get does go towards their stated mission (aka helping wounded vet) me personally, i have a soft spot for em, cause they helped me quite a bit when i came back from iraq, so i guess i'm biased.

I'm glad they did, and thank you for serving, especially in an active war zone. They just have a lower % of money to mission than what a typical well-run non-profit has in their size category, and some of the things they waste money on are quite troubling. 

It's a given in the non-profit sector you're going to work for about a 20% lower salary than in the business world. It's near universal. Senior management in non-profits do need a good salary to retain top talent as most top talent won't take more than 20-25% less than they would for a comparable for-profit position. But WWP's salaries and employee perks are well out of whack for the sector. WWP has incredibly effective branding and PR, but I dislike the way they use it. 

Personally, I support Paws4Vets in several ways, including fundraising. My ex-girlfriend (who's still a close friend) has a medical alert dog for her PTSD through them and having gotten to know her and others in their program, I am convinced that PTSD dogs save lives. It's one of the most effective tools currently for helping PTSD sufferers, both military and civilian, survive and function, and PTSD is, as I'm sure you know, an incredibly grave threat to many veterans. https://paws4people.org/our-programs/paws4vets/  If WWP is your preferred organization, please don't take me being critical of them as being a [edited]or being anti-veteran; they do help veterans, and that's worthy, I just personally choose to target my support elsewhere for what I feel to be a bigger impact. 

Edited by poeticmotion

Sign in to follow this