Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PhezterGaming

ATL Go Boom...

42 comments in this topic

[KOSS]
[KOSS]
Beta Testers
293 posts
3,395 battles

Anyone else play the Atlanta, post update/patch, and get 50%+ of your main guns turned into scrap before the 10min point?

I took 2-3 volleys, most rounds missing, from another cruiser...and the main guns started flying off like popcorn.

The ATL was already a Glass-Cannon for machine gun fire...now the glass comes pre-chipped and ready to shatter.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

I had that happen pre-patch every game... havent touched her in a while but I am assuming nothing changed. Heck, I shot an Atlanta with the Blys and one volley knocked out two turrets a few weeks ago. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

Welcome to HOTlanta, the only thing hotter than the fires in the ruins of your turrets is the one burning in your magazine after three BB's decide to gang [edited] you on detection.

[KOSS]
[KOSS]
Beta Testers
293 posts
3,395 battles

I had that happen pre-patch every game... havent touched her in a while but I am assuming nothing changed. Heck, I shot an Atlanta with the Blys and one volley knocked out two turrets a few weeks ago. 

I played her tons pre-update...even have a few videos...never took this much turret loss

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

I played her tons pre-update...even have a few videos...never took this much turret loss

You were getting lucky then. HE takes out the turrets like they are onion paper, I have noticed however that if I hit them with AP it usually temporarily disables them or does nothing to them. The best way I mitigate it is keeping her moored in the safety of the port so I can remember her CBT glory days :D
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

You were getting lucky then. HE takes out the turrets like they are onion paper, I have noticed however that if I hit them with AP it usually temporarily disables them or does nothing to them. The best way I mitigate it is keeping her moored in the safety of the port so I can remember her CBT glory days :D

This.  She looks dead sexy in my port, and when I'm feeling frisky, I will take her out in to Co-op.

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

This.  She looks dead sexy in my port, and when I'm feeling frisky, I will take her out in to Co-op.

I actually want to run her with the AA changes, I just don't feel like playing the house odds as to whether there will be CV's in the match, let alone one dumb enough to fly their squadrons near me

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I ran into a cubic assload of IJN strike CVs tonight.

[PLPT]
Members
80 posts
3,965 battles

Just got a question. Does reduction in module incapacitation chance also reduce chance of getting destryed?

I think so. If not, then there are some very good world of warships players out there who will need to respec. :p

At least Atlanta wasn't affected by the CL skill nerf.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I want to start a Atlanta Players Recovery Program (APRP), players could sign an online petition asking WG to fix her:trollface:....

• Cool 1

[MAUS]
Members
13,697 posts

She has 13mm of turret armour.  Odds are you were just hit by someone splashing your superstructure instead of aiming for your hull / waterline.  You can walk rapid-fire, high explosive shells across the Atlanta and disable multiple turrets in a single reload cycle.  Walk it a second time and they're not likely to have many guns left.

[---]
Banned
6,739 posts
10,146 battles

Atlanta was always paper for turrets, now you just notice it more and blame it on the patch, don't do that, that's called being blind to history. 

Members
1,054 posts
11,054 battles

I actually want to run her with the AA changes, I just don't feel like playing the house odds as to whether there will be CV's in the match, let alone one dumb enough to fly their squadrons near me

Team up with a CV friend, then its a sure thing :P

Members
1,216 posts
951 battles

It was a ship designed specifically to perform a role that isn't currently viable in WoWs. It's not exactly surprising that Atlanta is so bad, though I wish it were otherwise. They were beautiful ships.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

I suppose Atlanta needs better armor all around, possibly longer range on the torpedoes and possibly a smoke consumable - at the expense of a ROF nerf. Perhaps I'd play her more then.

[VAS]
Beta Testers
156 posts
10,309 battles

Team up with a CV friend, then its a sure thing :P

One Atlanta and two Air-Superiority Spec'd Rangers. Watch the enemy carriers rage quit.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,601 battles

Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary other than the buff to AA. Also, Hotlanta is love, Hotlanta is life!

o7lh6p.jpg

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

She has 13mm of turret armour.  Odds are you were just hit by someone splashing your superstructure instead of aiming for your hull / waterline.  You can walk rapid-fire, high explosive shells across the Atlanta and disable multiple turrets in a single reload cycle.  Walk it a second time and they're not likely to have many guns left.

I stripped 6 turrets off another Atlanta in one cycle earlier today. I felt a little dirty about it. :(

It's a really, really horrible game mechanic. It's not even that realistic -- yes, 127mm HE would likely penetrate half-inch armor and wreck optics, crew, etc, but that stuff is represented by incapacitation in game, but actually breaking the gun or turret such that it couldn't be repaired (or the crew replaced) is unlikely. Bigger HE would be likely to do more permanent damage, but it's still just really horrible game design. Turret destruction should really be left for overpenetration with AP (especially since many ships don't get enough benefit from AP over HE as things are).

Edited by inktomi19d

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
823 posts

If you are thinking of playing a premium to gain additional coin etc, overall it is a very bad bargain, will you get addition coin as promised? why yes you will,   Will you have to work twice as hard to get said coin, why yes you do.   Not to say you wont have good matches etc, but if your concerned about in game reputation and statistics, think long and  hard about it.    The ATL is abysmal and the mechanic where your turret goes out is MM's way of screwing you to help set the outcome of the battle.

Edited by HooplaJones

Beta Testers
841 posts
3,908 battles

Div with a CV

[MAUS]
Members
13,697 posts

I stripped 6 turrets off another Atlanta in one cycle earlier today. I felt a little dirty about it. :(

It's a really, really horrible game mechanic. It's not even that realistic -- yes, 127mm HE would likely penetrate half-inch armor and wreck optics, crew, etc, but that stuff is represented by incapacitation in game, but actually breaking the gun or turret such that it couldn't be repaired (or the crew replaced) is unlikely. Bigger HE would be likely to do more permanent damage, but it's still just really horrible game design. Turret destruction should really be left for overpenetration with AP (especially since many ships don't get enough benefit from AP over HE as things are).

I think it's a brilliant mechanic.  It gives you the option of disabling your opponent before killing them, provided your aim is good.  When dueling an angled Battleship in another BB, for example, you can force them to turn by neutralizing some of their gun turrets.  When they unmask the next set, you can pop their citadel.  As for realism, there are plenty of historical accounts about guns being neutralized.  This is done through a couple of means. Damage to the gun turret itself is pretty obvious, but hits to the ammunition handling areas were also commonplace.  This often shut down the gun, particularly if the rooms had to be flooded to ensure the magazine wouldn't go off.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

If you read Atlanta's after action report, you'd be surprised.  She was down to one turret at the end, some of the barrels had even been blown off the guns.

Sign in to follow this