Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ReflectionTrial

i just dont get what im supose to do with this line

32 comments in this topic

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

Well, is pretty simple, I just dont get it; they are huge and easy to hit, they are slugish and they have a low concealment.

they cant brawl vs USN DDs, they cant brawl CLs, they cant torp anything at all but ambushed morons. what Im supose to do with this ships.

granted im on ognevoi but kiev has even worst concealment and its bigger...

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Cruisers are your food. Stay at max range and pummel them with shells.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

You're a little anklebiter of a citadel-less cruiser, not a 'destroyer'.

• Cool 2

Members
409 posts
5,504 battles

You must be playing bad. They're meant for gunning at long range while using their top speed that is better than any other ship in the game to dodge oncoming fire. Torpedo's are for taking out close range DD"s mainly, but can be used along with smoke.

Members
2,680 posts
7,993 battles

NONONONO, you are not a DD, they named the forum section wrong... you are a cruiser with 5" guns, high speed and no citadel, which makes you the bane of everything that's more than 11km away from you.... This last patch was a massive buff.... now you can Have AFT, LS, and the new health perk, making my Tash a unstoppable flamethrower with 23k health and no citadel....

• Cool 1

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

ognevoi speed 37 knots

kamikaze speed 37.5 knots

mutsuki speed 37.5 knots

rudder

ognevoi 4.8

kamikaze 2.9

mutuski 2.1

turning

ognevoi 610

kamikaze 550

mutsuki 550

and im spotted before i see any of them, and aint hard for more than one ship to start shooting and well... you are dead. or gunless

[SG]
Members
29 posts
3,385 battles

Granted I have not played in 0.5.3 but alot of our issues as a DD are gone with Last Stand.  Now they just need to fix our turrets dying with a light breeze and we are good to go.

PS: Kiev is a beast while the Ogenvoi and Tashkent are garbage.

Members
2,680 posts
7,993 battles

ognevoi speed 37 knots

kamikaze speed 37.5 knots

mutsuki speed 37.5 knots

rudder

ognevoi 4.8

kamikaze 2.9

mutuski 2.1

turning

ognevoi 610

kamikaze 550

mutsuki 550

and im spotted before i see any of them, and aint hard for more than one ship to start shooting and well... you are dead. or gunless

You aren't a DD though, you are a small CL without a citadel and with fast firing long range guns, get AFT and use it to rain fir eon your enemies from a range where they cant effectively hit you back....

Members
707 posts
6,035 battles

Don't brawl.

If you have IJN/USN DDs on your team, let them do the scouting and capping, follow a few klicks behind them to support them.

Don't brawl.

Try to stick to maximum engagement range and gun down larger targets like cruisers and BBs, get closer to fight DDs only if they don't have sufficient fire support.

Don't brawl.

Torps are there if you can set up ambushes, they're not your primary weapon unless all your guns are dead.

And lastly, DON'T BRAWL.

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

OK, so i dont brawl... i snipe from as far as i can... may as well be a CL, they have better guns (granted they have cits) but is not like a full salvo will not almost kill you anyways in a rus "dd"

[SG]
Members
29 posts
3,385 battles

AFT is a must, and if you do not have it yet then you will def feel it.  Some I play with has describe RU DD's as "Fleet Cheerleaders", you should be weaving in and out of your CA/BB lines during the battle adding some fast firing support.

• Cool 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

OK, so i dont brawl... i snipe from as far as i can... may as well be a CL, they have better guns (granted they have cits) but is not like a full salvo will not almost kill you anyways in a rus "dd"

Make sure you are actively dodging, any DD is easy to hit going straight. Just lazily hit A and D while gunning, make sure you are watching the minimap as well. Beaching is a death sentence

Members
707 posts
6,035 battles

You have a couple advantages over a CL.

First, you don't have a citadel.

Second, you're a smaller, faster, more nimble target and therefore, are harder to hit. 

Third, better firing rate and turret traverse in general, and in several cases, lower shell arc.

Fourth, you have smoke and if used properly, can fire while sitting smoke while your target can't see you.

Fifth, your AP can citadel a number of CL's and CA's depending on the range.

Sixth, you have superior concealment and can decide on when to engage or disengage.

Seriously, just WASD and stay at 10+ km range, you're a tough target to hit. And don't solo anyone, engage targets with teammates so they can draw some fire as well. Know what targets to pick on as well. Clevelands and Atlantas you can kite across the map without them every putting a scratch on you. Pensacolas you can citadel to high-heaven. 

Edited by Caucasian_Fury
  • Cool 1

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
198 posts
12,201 battles

• You need to brawl against others DDs, while against USN this is a little tricky, against IJN is just a slaughter.
  • Your AP is the best among the DDs, While IJN DDs use torpedos against BBs and USN use HE at really long orbital strike ranges, you use AP against them. 4k salvos against Colorados, Amagis, NCs is you bread and butter.

• You have torpedos too, but your concealment sucks. Use them from within clouds or escaping to deny the area.

Members
2,709 posts
17,651 battles

I got in a heck of a knife fight in my Gearing with a Khab last night, but he insisted on fighting me a close range (like <6km). It didn't turn out well for him. All I had to do was pop smoke and since he can be seen from orbit (meaning more than half my teammates could spot for me), I got a huge number of unanswered salvos on him.

On the flip side, had he decided to kite me from >10km, without smoke cover I'm dead, and with his speed and the Gearing's high arc at that distance, he would've been very difficult to hit and the duel would have been in his favor most likely.

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

I must be a terrible player, but both gnevy and ognevoi feels worst than i dont know, first time played with my hosho against a langley and he killed all my fighters and then camped my CV.. that bad, and are 2 ships in a row, awful awful grind.

I wanted to get to the kiev to buy it 30% off... prolly going to sell this crap piece of craptin can ship and burn his captain on a stake.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

you need AFT for higher tier russian DD to workwell.     ognevoi was ok with AFT. KIev is strong with aft/DE though.   its too bad I don't play it as often .

[ICOP]
Members
1,079 posts
4,779 battles

Kiev + AFT + 5% speed signal + engine boost, the only thing I ever think of while firing with all that at 11km is MC Hammer's song Can't touch this.

Grinding the Ognevoi (though not a bad DD) to get the Kiev, even with it's lower HP, OMG night and day.

It is like the German cruiser line, going from Karls to Konieg :)

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

Kiev + AFT + 5% speed signal + engine boost, the only thing I ever think of while firing with all that at 11km is MC Hammer's song Can't touch this.

Grinding the Ognevoi (though not a bad DD) to get the Kiev, even with it's lower HP, OMG night and day.

It is like the German cruiser line, going from Karls to Konieg :)

gnevy + ognevoi makes me things of Culture Club "The Crying Game"

I recall karl as a painful experience, but its a tier IV... ognevoi meets tier VIII more than often.

[ICOP]
Members
1,079 posts
4,779 battles

gnevy + ognevoi makes me things of Culture Club "The Crying Game"

I recall karl as a painful experience, but its a tier IV... ognevoi meets tier VIII more than often.

Ognevoi, no guns torps knocked out, I rammed that Atago!!!, well that was the idea until the Amagi sunk me just before I hit the Atago.

I remember that song, damn I'm dating myself lol

[-GK-]
[-GK-]
Members
541 posts
15,134 battles

No joking, in no domination matches i just afk half the match until i start moving around.

a few things that happened to me this week trying to farm from gveny to kiev.

- 2 brothers: im capping the base in front of you, random salvo from a BB from their spawn... front turret out (0 dmg done)

- capping one, im spotted! [edited]lets smoke and run, ijn dd volley appears, 2 turrets out

- I ambush a BB, im behind an island, i wait till his is 4km away, i show and full torp him, secondaries detonates me

those 3 are the worst that i recall. but its full of this crap, maybe the crying game aint enough

[SG]
Members
29 posts
3,385 battles

You are not a DD you are a Speedy CL with no Citdael.  You are not there to speed out for caps, otherwise you get destroyed quickly by any good DD driver.  Sit with your cruiser lines and pick off the DD's that approach them, and if no DD's spread fire and death to the enemy's engaging your cruiser line.

I repeat, you are NOT a DD, you are a Citadel-less CL

[TACO]
Beta Testers
562 posts
10,626 battles

As a class I need to remind myself constantly, every decision of every match, "you are not a destroyer." Don't try to cap unless you'd do the same thing in a cruiser. Don't try to scout. Don't try to torp. Forget you even have torps except when you need to scare away USN DDs. You can't brawl. You CAN shoot, a lot, at max range, with HE that does a good job of whittling cruisers until you are in a good position to fire AP at cruisers and battleship superstructures. Until you lose one of your two turrets (it will invariably be the one you need at that exact moment). I can't say that I like this line, but I find myself almost compelled to play it over USN or IJN. 

Sign in to follow this