Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Warlord_Deadeye_Pete

5.3 observations from a Fuso Driver

21 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,478 battles

So yesterday was a bit of a bear of a day learning to drive the Fuso over again with the changes in the patch and the new commander skills.

The pace of the game has been tweaked.. I'm sure its cumulative of all the changes, and maybe some changes under the hood that aren't quite as obvious..  The first thing I noticed right way was my hit percentage dropped off sharply..  I'd been managing a 20 to 25 % hit percentage.  I'm not quite back to where i was but I have managed to bring it back into the 10-15% range.  It could be just RNG, but it feel like dispersion at at ranges over 15k is a bit worse and that is typically where we US server BB players like to hang at is out at some range..  (well most do, I like to lead the smaller ships into action myself.. Doing the BB meat shield thing.. Don't be afraid to get hit!  That's the other reason why your driving a BB remember, cuz they;'re tough.)

It has been tougher, but as people adjust things should settle out pretty quickly as we all relearn how to play.  No I'm not one of those that decry "the games ruined etc etc etc."  Makes me chuckle at the amazing amount of what amounts to fear of change... in a video game  *sigh*  Guys.. its a game try to remember that.. and game balance in MMO"s is an ongoing thing.

What the changes feel like is that RNG results spread got tuned down just a little...Give me another day and I'll get it nailed down again... Then comes the hard part.. figuring out how the changes effect how I prioritize targets.  Some ships are a little less dangerous.   Some a little bit more dangerous, but it seems that for everything that was taken away so to speak, something was gained... My jury is still deliberating, but so far.. it not so much any big huge nerfs making game play horrid, just rebalanced, and different feeling.

I think a lot of the fears that were flashed all over the forums over the 0.5.3 changes were unwarranted, and possibly even more then a tad premature.  You don't really know until the changes are out in the wild.  The test server doesn't really test so much as gather numerics for the Dev staff to further fine tune and tweek the changes they will be incorporating...

My BB play feels a little weaker, and It feels like I'm going to have to work a little harder to get the same results, but, it also feels like I'm not quite as vulnerable to certain types of attacks.. most specificly HE spam is still nasty to me, but not quite as much.. still have to pay attention, but still just a tad bit less nasty.  The tone down that happened with smaller cruiser guns, and the hit to extending 6" gun range has made the Cleveland have to work harder and smarter, and get a little closer..  Still running into invisa fire from Cleve's, but, it's a bit easier to deal with.. Just break away from them (they'll follow, peeps getting target locked when they're certain they have the advantage can always be counted on) and drag em toward any friendlies.  They'll either get spotted, or break off themselves so they don't receive some 14" vengence.  Your a Battleship, they're a cruiser.  It still only take one or two good salvo's to solve that problem if you can get the shots in..There's always an "If". oh yes, always.

So anyway, some initial observations.   Are you higher tier BB players seeing a drop in your hit percentage.. or, is it just the Fuso?  It wouldn't surprise me if the Fuso got a tad nerfed.. in the hands of a good player they can be a nasty package.

As the rule of the Matchmaker is the reward for a job well done, is a more difficult match, I see a lot of tier-VIII fights in my Tier-VI Fuso, and when you start slugging it out with Tirpitz's Amagi's and North Carolina's, not to mention all those tier 8 cruisers, and DD's, your gong to need to have your A game on just to survive much less get any kills in. 

See you all in game.. You'll know it me when you see the insane Fuso driver diving into secondary range of the enemy scouts and cappers in and mixing it up giving friendly DD's close support.  I'm pretty sure most of my kills in the Fuso have been DD's...Terrorrizing Destroyers is Fun!

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

Opposite effect for me. My Tirpiz feels like it has grown in power significantly. IT feels like every game i have been playing in her since 5.3, I'm now getting 4-5 citadel hits per game. And the secondaries, with manual fire control, now absolutely murder. Got two close quarters experts against DD's in one game. one of them was one poor sod Farragut getting detonated by my secondaries. On ships like Yamato or tirpitz with that skill, Secondaries are death.

Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles

I have noticed some off stuff too. Not sure if desync is better or what, but I see to be "over leading" ships now....  Also yea, not sure if it was just perception or what, but I agree about the hype of the patch being over inflated. I feel like I am on fire WAY more now as a BB, making me ponder changing my newly retained captains again... I can honestly say, my ships sunk for this patch in BBs has fallen off.

Edited by Granitebeard

[TOEU]
Beta Testers
135 posts
27,174 battles

played the Fuso last night in team battles an it felt a bit sluggish compared to before the patch. My hit rate and damage seemed to be in my expected range.

Members
34 posts
1,702 battles

To be honest, my Fuso's dmg seems to have dropped a lot. Even Cit hits are low. I have noticed a huge problem with shell dispersion. I have entire volleys miss other BBs. Really frustrating.

Edited by Stigian

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Opposite effect for me. My Tirpiz feels like it has grown in power significantly. IT feels like every game i have been playing in her since 5.3, I'm now getting 4-5 citadel hits per game. And the secondaries, with manual fire control, now absolutely murder. Got two close quarters experts against DD's in one game. one of them was one poor sod Farragut getting detonated by my secondaries. On ships like Yamato or tirpitz with that skill, Secondaries are death.

Only thing I've really noticed is that the 16.1"s on the Nagato don't require as much lead as I remember.

But, it has been months since I've used that ship.

Secondaries on the Yamato are somewhat eh, they normally get blown off by the time a DD gets that close sadly.

Members
1,881 posts
7,191 battles

OP, just some knowledge for you. 

You do not drive a ship or boat. 

If it's a sailing boat, you sail it. If you're the captain of a ship, you skipper it, and if you're the helmsman, you steer, pilot or helm it, but drive is not a term used at all. :)

Members
4,608 posts

My biggest thing so far has been my armor.  It feels like its now made of paper.  Might have been a few bad games, will play a bit more to get a better feel.

[BARF]
Beta Testers
5,816 posts
5,484 battles

since the patch, the Kamikaze R has become an infinitely more amusing ship to sail and to earn money in- because it seems there is no WASD hack update yet

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,568 battles

I don't snipe much in my Fuso, but it handles same as before. I'm still capable of Devastating Strikes if I aim properly at the enemy cruisers.

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

OP, just some knowledge for you. 

You do not drive a ship or boat. 

If it's a sailing boat, you sail it. If you're the captain of a ship, you skipper it, and if you're the helmsman, you steer, pilot or helm it, but drive is not a term used at all. :)

​Spent many years in a port and on ships.

"Drive the boat"  was the commonly used expression.

The world has moved on, we don't all use the Queen's English anymore.

Mastering the helm....

[AWP]
Beta Testers
542 posts
4,244 battles

To be honest, my Fuso's dmg seems to have dropped a lot. Even Cit hits are low. I have noticed a huge problem with shell dispersion. I have entire volleys miss other BBs. Really frustrating.

cit hits cant hit low or else they are not cit hits.  a cit is an automatic max dmg round.  i think you think your citting but really arent...either that or the last round in your salvo to land was a cit and it didnt have much hp left to max the dmg i with.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I haven't felt any changes in my shooting in Tirpitz (400+ games, so very familiar with it), Iowa, Izumo, Ishizuchi, Nikolai, and my DDs. I get the same number of cits and have one-salvoed cruisers still in Tirpitz. 

A lot more CVs around, though, so my damage in Tirpitz has fallen off since I keep getting deleted by CVs. I expect average damage to fall for non-CV ships with the increased presence of CVs, so maybe the opening poster is feeling the effects of that. 

[DAZE]
Beta Testers
153 posts
3,239 battles

I noticed the exact same thing on my own fuso... And only because my nurnburg was being weird too. Otherwise, I've seen patches change how I need to lead targets before (whether better or worse, usually due to desync). The Nurnburg was just getting horrible dispersion at longer ranges. In a game I survive, 120+ hits is common. Best I could pull was 45.

:/

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

The only thing I have noticed is bouncing a lot more shots since patch.  I mean in the Kongo, I was peppering another Kongo, then an Imperator Nikolai, and even at < 7km range I let loose 8 shots and not even overpens, just... nothing at all?   With my Mikasa, firing HE, I will hit and do nothing.  Same thing as with Kongo and Nikolai with AP... same problem... I get like 6 hits, no damage, no overpens... not even incapacitations.  It registers the hits (I see the ribbons) but nothing.

I really don't mind, but being called useless on it by teammates is annoying, and unfortunately the after-match report gives them credit.  RNG is still swinging wildly, so I had a 85k damage right after that bad match, but 11k damage in matches with 30 hits is really bad, I hope it's not a new trend.

Those are just opinions. based of about 20 battles since patch.   Oh and DD's seem to resist damage far better now...  but that might be because of my other issue, lol.

Edited by Francois424

[WOLFD]
Members
976 posts

OP,

Nice post, now go drive a Cleveland and see how it feels having to  get 6+ K inside a Fuso's range.  You talk about invisa fire from a Cleveland, but In my experience it is the other way around I get spotted by a DD ( One I can't see) but the enemy has already got rounds in the air before I ever get the your spotted signal.  You know there is a time delay between when they spot you and you get the report.  I get killed from a single volley at ranges out to 18, 19+ K and I can't even see the ship shooting me.

I hide in my Cleveland.  I go no where near a BB friendly or enemy.  I am forced to wait for the game to develop before I ever try and sneak in to engage the red team.  Just one hit from an enemy BB can take 12,000 or more life from a Cleveland. 

The game is a balance in progress, but it was a step backwards.  The Cleveland has less range than the T5 US and T5 German cruisers.  It is very bad and the fun factor has gone out the window.

Members
1 post
221 battles

I'm inclined to agree that the Fuso has had a hidden nerf to it's guns, at some time before the latest patch - I suspect the dispersion and/or penetration. I've been getting a lot less citadels and decent hits, even at fairly close range.

I've not noticed this with any other ship, in particular the New Mexico feels fine.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

Granted I play co-op, but still, to me anything out past 15 km is a Hail Mary shot, even in a Kongo. It's all up to dispersion and RNGeezus if you manage to hit anything, much less if it's anything other than a slow BB, that also decides to use that infamous WASD hack right after you fire off a salvo. My Warspite and USN BB's are just clearing their throats at that range. At the beginning of a match, I look at which way the cruisers and DD's are heading, and follow to give backup - hell, in a 21 or 23 knot BB, all you can do is follow, lol. I believe in giving the "small boys" close range fire support and tanking - in my Warspite and Colorado, if my secondarys aren't lighting something up, it hasn't gotten real yet.

As far as priority targets, I don't see that changing much - number 1 priority is still anything with torps - DD > Cruiser > BB.

[DAZE]
Beta Testers
153 posts
3,239 battles

I'm inclined to agree that the Fuso has had a hidden nerf to it's guns, at some time before the latest patch - I suspect the dispersion and/or penetration. I've been getting a lot less citadels and decent hits, even at fairly close range.

I've not noticed this with any other ship, in particular the New Mexico feels fine.

New Mexico has triple-gun turrets, and therefore an altogether tighter spread. The fuso always suffered at range. I was used to having luck at 14km or less. Now I can't hit anything beyond 10km. What does hit, bounces. I'm not missing either; I'm watching tightly grouped shots split targets without explanation at 11km, a range where the fuso's guns have a flatter trajectory. Fuso is my dawg, with 1000+xp/game and 60k average dmg/game. I'd like to think I know that ship quite well.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Nice post, now go drive a Cleveland and see how it feels having to  get 6+ K inside a Fuso's range.  

The game is a balance in progress, but it was a step backwards.  The Cleveland has less range than the T5 US and T5 German cruisers.  

Why in the heck would you ever get within 6 km range of ANY BB? Just shoot from 12-14 km the same as hundreds of Cleveland players do, that didn't have AFT in the first place.

And the Cleveland has ALWAYS had less range than the Omaha and KBerg. The patch didn't affect that at all. The patch did, however, make it so the Omaha and KBerg outrange the Cleveland by less than they did before.

[LSNB]
Members
308 posts
10,318 battles

Why in the heck would you ever get within 6 km range of ANY BB? Just shoot from 12-14 km the same as hundreds of Cleveland players do, that didn't have AFT in the first place.

And the Cleveland has ALWAYS had less range than the Omaha and KBerg. The patch didn't affect that at all. The patch did, however, make it so the Omaha and KBerg outrange the Cleveland by less than they did before.

What he meant has to take upwards of 6,000 (6K) damage within a Fuso's range. Assuming it has the first hull upgrade, that's well outside your gun range,

Sign in to follow this