Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
baxter_105

Higher Tiers

7 comments in this topic

Members
500 posts
2,381 battles

Yesterday I bought Atago.

I wanted to have a high tier ship to see what the higher tier game play would be like.

I have ground to tier VI.

At tiers lower than V the game play is what you would expect when folks are still learning the game and playing in Random when often they should still be in Co-op battles.

At tier VI, there is some improvement, but because there are still many tier IV and Vs, it is sometimes just like the lower tiers.

I was pleasantly surprised to find at tier VIII and X, the 2 battle tiers I have experienced in Atago, that the game play seems much improved over the lower tiers.

The chat was really good.

It was almost like all the players on both teams knew each other.

When someone had a good duel and lost, they said congrats to the enemy player.

I saw DDs that really worked with the team and did not do their own thing and CAs that supported both BBs and DDs. 

Captains seemed to let the team know what they were up to and others would agree to support them.

These things make the game fun! It makes you want to improve so that others will note and respect your play abilities.

This is way different from WoT where at all levels, even tier X, the chat is toxic, the player skill by far largely poor, with a few really good players often carrying the team.

One thing I also noticed was the absence of CVs in any of my 4 games. Is this normal?

Edited by baxter_105

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Lets address this post...

Atago is a great ship if you know how to play IJN CA's. She is down right deadly.

As far as improvement at higher tiers... yeah not so much as you think. There are still the total derp teams, derp moments and all out "What window were you licking when you were dropped as a child" play's in those tiers. Chat is usually a bit better because you have fewer 200 game Admirals who know everything about everything from studying at the everything naval academy, but if you are performing below the tier level (basically playing like you are in a Tier 2 YOLO match) you are going to be called out on it, and harshly sometimes. WoT has an extremely toxic community, here is much better... although there are rage moments... especially if you are in the only Tier 9 in a game (yes only tier 9) and you do absolutely nothing but hide the whole game doing no damage (referencing a game early this morning). 

As far as CV's... they are rare, and plan on being even more endangered with the nerf to US CV's this patch. 

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles

They seemed to know eachother because they likely DID know eachother, high tiers are painful especially the first time going up and many people either give up on the way or leave after they get to T10.

CVs in high tiers are rare because of the constant shafting from the DEVs, I haven't seen a T9 or T10 in some time. (and with these new changes for some time more I think) 

The people at high tiers don't play together like that because they want to but because they have to, you may not have noticed it since you were in an atago but the repair bill is massive, people play like that to get the most out of their cash. 

Sometimes you get games like yours but there are pleanty of toxic players at high tiers trust me. 

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,415 battles

It is generally a more seasoned set of players, more teamplay, better behaved in chat, and collaborating. That said, there are some derp teams and some nasty comments, but in general I enjoy it better than the lower tiers (I regularly play all tiers from T2 to T9).

Atago is a great ship. You will find many new players that have barely understood T4 who buy a T8 ship and haven't a clue. Then you find many of us that also play Myoko/Mogami/Hipper or Benson, Fubuki et al who earned the ships the hard way and understand teamplay and the maintenance costs at T7+ so the play is different.

Sure, some may disagree, as there are bad teams everywhere, but all-in-all it is a marked difference, and for the better IMO. CVs are not as common there but when you sail your T8+ CA/BB, and find there is an Essex or a Midway - oh boy - what a difference! The moment I see one of those in the order of battle, I know I will have a bad game. I fear them more than Iowa, Yamato, or Zao.

Edited by alexf24

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
13,817 battles

Were you in the game with the fog battleships group at about 20:00 hours PST?

because if you were that was an awesome round

My division mate got into on heck of duel and complimented the guy that killed him and I chased an Atago and Pensacola down  during an intense stand off.

Edited by StingRayOne

Members
500 posts
2,381 battles

Were you in the game with the fog battleships group at about 20:00 hours PST?

Regrettably, no. It sounds like a really good battle. Just the kinda thing I like.  :rolleyes:

[BAKED]
Members
918 posts
12,366 battles

Yeah sure at the high tiers some have figured out how to read the map. But when chat gets salty in high tier games, it gets REALLY SALTY. 

When you get detonated/deleted/gang-banged in a T5 are only wasting the one game. You get stomped in a T9 and you go backwards on your grind to T10 and negate your efforts in the 3-4 prior games.

Sign in to follow this