Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Uber72

Fubuki thoughts from a noob

16 comments in this topic

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
7,139 battles

I got the Fubuki last week and got her the 15 km torpedoes. I went back to the B hull for the extra gun when I need it. The extra health may help with the C hull but not enough, I think to make a real difference.

Anyways, I tend to get frustrated easily. A character flaw of mine.

At first, I was having no fun as I was getting destroyed a lot, with minimal or no points. I was just soaking up fire for the team and doing nothing but taking fire.

I know I needed to be a ninja, but I wanted to score torpedo hits.

Then some soul in game told me that I need to hang back more. Be more of an area denial type with my torpedoes.

My game has turned around. Somewhat. I had some really good games where I score surprise hits on ships. And still get pwned in some games.

I think I need to learn when to just leave an area due to the Fubuki's slow speed. I just played a game where I got spotted by a dd that has better stealth than me (mine is at 6.1), and once they start to hunt the Fubuki, it is near impossible to escape and they know it.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Use Smoke Screen, I here setting up ambushes with your torps and then running is the best way to play Jap DDs. But I may not now I'm a Dumb BB player

Beta Testers
192 posts
10,344 battles

I find the Fubuki dose best when it has backup. It's not a good lone-wolf ship at least for me.

[CSF80]
[CSF80]
Members
4,535 posts
14,445 battles

I'm used to excellent gunboats like the Mahan, Kiev, Tashkent, Blysky, etc so I know what you mean.  The Fubuki has to be played like a torp sniper because if you run into one of the gunboats I mentioned, he'll tear you apart.  Add to the fact that everyone on the enemy team fears and loathes the Fubu and you become First Priority Target if you're spotted.

• Cool 1

Members
1,699 posts
9,031 battles

:hmm:one thing i found on that fubuki...speed is a main problem.. like mohawk said..once you been spotted by those DD's that he said it will end BAD..but if u have a Concealment expert that will make your detection range to 5.5km it will be nice youll have a chance to outrun them..Maybe..Just maybe...

But again..Fubuki is a great Destroyer...You just need to have a Back up like a cruiser or a destroyer with high rate of fire guns..Goodluck :honoring:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,469 posts
14,567 battles

Use the faster torp, pointless to shoot at 15 kms when you can't hit

I may be wrong but I remember seeing one of the charts here that the 15km torp actually has shorter reaction time than the 10km one. But it does take longer to reach the target.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles

they have pretty similar reaction time, which means TA will help in either case.   of course,  vigilence becomes more important.  the big thing about TA is that  kagero/shima/gearing will   benefit even more.   T8+  in random is becoming meh as WG wants to push people into t9/10 to sell more premium account.   I think I will limit my t8 to ranked once i get some 15 point captains, then stick with lower tier for random.   i find t6 to be sweet spot for fun.   T7 is ok though as you rarely get t9s. 

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
7,139 battles

Use the faster torp, pointless to shoot at 15 kms when you can't hit

I have hit a few ships with the 15 km torps. Some were surprise kills like a destroyer and a carrier. I wonder how I hit a destroyer with a torpedo? I guess they were not looking or were surprised by it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,469 posts
14,567 battles

I have hit a few ships with the 15 km torps. Some were surprise kills like a destroyer and a carrier. I wonder how I hit a destroyer with a torpedo? I guess they were not looking or were surprised by it.

Well. I took one when sailing next to a BB. It's not for me. I was just at the wrong place. :)
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,311 battles

Positioning in this ship is critical as you do not have the speed to get out of a 1 v 1 against other DDs. I approach this with two things in mind, where are the enemy gunboat DDs likely to be and where are the BBs likely to go. Finding a balance between avoiding the DDs and closing with the BBs is the art and takes a while to learn. 

With Kiev, Tashkent etc they are usually played more conservatively as the have very high detection ranges. If you have CA backup just keep them spotted and don't overextend. Your CAs will take them out. If you don't retreat back to where you have support.

The Benson, Fletcher and to a lesser extent Gearing are usually more aggressive however you have a slight advantage in detection (unless they have CE), break off contact by heading towards your own support ships if possible. Quite a few tunnel vision on sinking you and ignore your team mates and I have lured quite a few in range of friendly cruisers doing this.

IJN DDs are still dangerous but you are equal in firepower. Don't engage unless you have to.

Be very careful capping this is not a brawler, never fight over a cap leave and come back later.

Don't ignore your guns they are very effective, turret traverse is the only real drawback.

While learning the ship stick with the 15km torps it gives you more leeway then switch to the short range ones for better hit rate.

• Cool 1

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
7,139 battles

I'm used to excellent gunboats like the Mahan, Kiev, Tashkent, Blysky, etc so I know what you mean.  The Fubuki has to be played like a torp sniper because if you run into one of the gunboats I mentioned, he'll tear you apart.  Add to the fact that everyone on the enemy team fears and loathes the Fubu and you become First Priority Target if you're spotted.

Yep. I am very familiar with being their favorite target to hunt down.

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
7,139 battles

I just had a game where I was totally ineffective. I never got spotted, but a Farragut manage to chase me all the way down one side of the map. They saw my torpedoes but I managed not to hit anything. I was going to cap c, but there was too many ships there so I just left.

Usually I can cap a point if I am closest to it. But can't count on doing it all the time.

I try not to be near friendly ships as much due to friendly torpedo fire from them.

I suppose position, position, position is what I need to work on better.

[B2P]
Members
13,459 posts
40,920 battles

I have 60% win rate and above average damage after 170 games. Fubuki is love.

15 km torps are better, because you get unplanned hits.

You need to get your gun skills up, because you can beat gunboats if you can hit reliably. Sometimes you can drive them off with reliable shooting. I cant stress the importance of good gunnery enough. I get plenty plenty DD kills with guns.

Also be sure to pay the 22500 credits for the shorter recovery time for repairs and the extra smoke, in consummables upgrades.

In Fubu you want to run ASAP into open water so you can torp. On Fire and Hotspot never enter C. On the Fire Map send torps across C as you drive by, sometimes you get a kill that way. Use your speed boost immediately to get into position in the center. On Iceberg, Atlantic, Hotspot, and Fire you want to be in the center. On North dont head west or east. Stay in B and C where ships criss cross and are easy torp targets and you can cap B, always key. A ship in D is usually wasted, while in A everyone expects to be torped and is using the WASD hack. Damn those evil keyboards!

On Twin Bros you need to dump torps into the areas where ships first enter A and D from spawn, dont wait til you see Red ships, launch asap.

Dump torps into smoke if you can. Lots of DD drivers smoke when they cap, bad idea, gives away your position. When you cap, dont smoke, rely on your low detect range. Save smoke for hiding from Stalinium infused Russky DDs.

Good luck

• Cool 1

Members
897 posts
7,381 battles

I only recently got the Fubuki, so far I like it. The only thing I think keeps it from being great is the slow speed, it is just so freaking slow for a DD. I am still experimenting with how I want to play it. Mostly I hang back at the start and wait, using torps to deny area's at the start. Once the enemy DD's have all been seen. Least the USN and RN DD's then I move in to the area's they are not to ninja torp stuff up close.

Trying to close and torp or cap until you know where the gunboat DD's are, is often a good way to get a trip back to port quickly I have found.

[_CORE]
Members
105 posts
7,139 battles

I have 60% win rate and above average damage after 170 games. Fubuki is love.

15 km torps are better, because you get unplanned hits.

You need to get your gun skills up, because you can beat gunboats if you can hit reliably. Sometimes you can drive them off with reliable shooting. I cant stress the importance of good gunnery enough. I get plenty plenty DD kills with guns.

Also be sure to pay the 22500 credits for the shorter recovery time for repairs and the extra smoke, in consummables upgrades.

In Fubu you want to run ASAP into open water so you can torp. On Fire and Hotspot never enter C. On the Fire Map send torps across C as you drive by, sometimes you get a kill that way. Use your speed boost immediately to get into position in the center. On Iceberg, Atlantic, Hotspot, and Fire you want to be in the center. On North dont head west or east. Stay in B and C where ships criss cross and are easy torp targets and you can cap B, always key. A ship in D is usually wasted, while in A everyone expects to be torped and is using the WASD hack. Damn those evil keyboards!

On Twin Bros you need to dump torps into the areas where ships first enter A and D from spawn, dont wait til you see Red ships, launch asap.

Dump torps into smoke if you can. Lots of DD drivers smoke when they cap, bad idea, gives away your position. When you cap, dont smoke, rely on your low detect range. Save smoke for hiding from Stalinium infused Russky DDs.

Good luck

I am getting used to the slower speed of the Fubuki. It reminds me that I need to consider where to go and to keep my distance. Sniper ninja. Thanks for the tips. Yeah, on Fire and Hotspot I have been avoiding as it is really tight quarters and sucks when you get spotted by a faster, gunboat DD that wants me dead. :P

Plus paying more and more attention to the minimap where the enemy DD have been spotted. Very useful.

Sign in to follow this