Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grunt_Pro

Tier 10 economy. Or lack there of.

33 comments in this topic

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

So I just ran a series of games in my Montana, and Yamato. With a few Iowa thrown in.  In each game except for 1, I did 100K damage. And still did not make money in any one of the games except 1. 2 if you count the 5K I made in the Iowa. 

So lets get this straight... a Tier 10 battleship has to do over 100K damage, just to break even? I mean, on the 1 hand, I can see that, considering the ships are about 100Ks worth of HP.  But still. I had quite a few games where I did 120K or better, and still just barely cut even.  I often wonder why tier 10 battleships are so chicken crap.  It costs an arm and a leg if you take any damage what so ever... 

This goes for any of the T10 ships.  My DM never makes a profit.  My Gearing very rarely makes a profit, but its much easier to do damage in my Gearing.  

Sometimes I just don't understand what WarGaming is trying to do with their game.  :amazed:

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

You're not supposed to make credits at tier 10.

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

You're not supposed to make credits at tier 10.

Why? Where is the incentive to play T10 ships?

12,413 posts

Top tier guaranteed. CW viable ships when that happens.

[JAGDA]
Beta Testers
245 posts
3,392 battles

Rather, Clan Wars and E-Sports.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

To play, you are guaranteed to be top tier and be one of the most powerful ships in the match. If they made tier 10 profitable why would people play low tiers after they got their tier 10s?

12,413 posts

Rather, Clan Wars and E-Sports.

If E-sports actually uses tier 10

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

Being top Tier doesn't really matter if you can't turn a profit tho.  And with the way that fire damage works.. a Tier 6 cruiser firing HE at your, and lighting you on fire does the same exact damage that a T10 would do to you doing the same exact thing.  Meaning you are just exp/credit farms for the lower tier ships... 

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,860 battles

Being top Tier doesn't really matter if you can't turn a profit tho.  And with the way that fire damage works.. a Tier 6 cruiser firing HE at your, and lighting you on fire does the same exact damage that a T10 would do to you doing the same exact thing.  Meaning you are just exp/credit farms for the lower tier ships... 

Exactly. Or buy premium ships. And this is nothing new. WG has been doing this with tanks since 2011. Just letting you know.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,248 posts
22,540 battles

If making profit was easy at tier 10, nobody would play anything but tier 10. This would lead to a loss of population at mid tiers, which is where games are the most reliably profitable. Lack of mid-tier population would lead to longer queues, more MM mismatches and more people quitting, leading to even longer queues and even more problems, until more and more people quit. This would lead to the death of the game.

Secondly, Wargaming is a for-profit company, they have to pay their bills, the code monkeys, animators, artists, managers etc all need to eat and pay their bills as well. The high tier economy / tier 10 moneysink is their way to encourage the sale of duhblooms / gold, premium time and premium vehicles, their main source of income. Without income, the company goes bankrupt and the game dies.

What's the incentive to play tier 10? That depends. What is your main reason for playing the game? From the sound of your OP it is 'to earn credits'.

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Not exactly tier difference effects fire chance, so the tier 6 ship is much less likely to actually cause a fire than say a zao. Fire resistance goes up with the tier. 

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

Exactly. Or buy premium ships. And this is nothing new. WG has been doing this with tanks since 2011. Just letting you know.

I almost always turn a profit in my T10 tanks tho.. most of the time a pretty hefty profit actually.. 

30,523 posts
5,860 battles

i hope this dont turn into wot tier 10, where u dont simply ccant profit, but most of the time you lose money

Actually in WoT, if you're good enough, you can usually break even or make money. Know plenty of players who play a majority of their matches at tier 10 and are millions in the positive. The tipping point is doing about 3000 damage a match. Which can be done.

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

i hope this dont turn into wot tier 10, where u dont simply ccant profit, but most of the time you lose money

You can make money at tier 10 in WOT, with a premium account you can fire all heat in a e100 and still make some. (provided you pen all  your shots)

[JAGDA]
Beta Testers
245 posts
3,392 battles

If E-sports actually uses tier 10

I'd assume that it will follow the manner of WoT, which utilizes a tier-to-point system for making teams. So you will have a core of Tier-X's and then several lower ships. Probably not the all and one manner of WoT though, as I imagine it'd be more about bringing in a mid-tier cruiser or DD for a specialized purpose than just a Tier-1 for scouting.
Edited by KommandantJaeger

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

If anything playing high tier ships and making them profitable would only increase high tier play as a whole. People would play them, while grinding out other lines, and they would be forced back down into T6-7-8 ships to bank credits... I get the whole buying premium ships, honestly, premium ships should be twice as profitable as tier 10 ships.. And it should scale respective to the tier.  You shouldn't be FORCED to grab a premium, or play mid tier to grind out credits.  Why even grind a high tier ship at all or in the first place if you are just going to have to spend 500 games in a T6-7-8 to afford buying the next ship in line? 

30,523 posts
5,860 battles

I almost always turn a profit in my T10 tanks tho.. most of the time a pretty hefty profit actually.. 

Again, if you're good enough, you can turn a profit. The issue is in this game, you literally have to pull a carry hard every match to turn a profit.

30,523 posts
5,860 battles

If anything playing high tier ships and making them profitable would only increase high tier play as a whole. People would play them, while grinding out other lines, and they would be forced back down into T6-7-8 ships to bank credits... I get the whole buying premium ships, honestly, premium ships should be twice as profitable as tier 10 ships.. And it should scale respective to the tier.  You shouldn't be FORCED to grab a premium, or play mid tier to grind out credits.  Why even grind a high tier ship at all or in the first place if you are just going to have to spend 500 games in a T6-7-8 to afford buying the next ship in line? 

Yes but like Lert said at the expense of depleting the mid tiers which would make everyone sit at tier 10 and then there are no one to play against if you're brand new and want to grind along. Not even for Co-op.

This is why they try and force people back into the mid tiers to keep a healthy gaming population as a whole.

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

If making profit was easy at tier 10, nobody would play anything but tier 10. This would lead to a loss of population at mid tiers, which is where games are the most reliably profitable. Lack of mid-tier population would lead to longer queues, more MM mismatches and more people quitting, leading to even longer queues and even more problems, until more and more people quit. This would lead to the death of the game.

Secondly, Wargaming is a for-profit company, they have to pay their bills, the code monkeys, animators, artists, managers etc all need to eat and pay their bills as well. The high tier economy / tier 10 moneysink is their way to encourage the sale of duhblooms / gold, premium time and premium vehicles, their main source of income. Without income, the company goes bankrupt and the game dies.

What's the incentive to play tier 10? That depends. What is your main reason for playing the game? From the sound of your OP it is 'to earn credits'.

Well, I play the game because I like playing it, its competitive, and I would like, eventually to grind out all of the T10 lines.  I wouldn't mind if I could make 50K profit a game in my T10s... but as it stands.. like.. 20k profit in a tier 10 ship is about as good as it gets, shy of pulling a monster 200K+ damage game... If I barely cut even it makes me not want to play T10 ships, and that means I can't hone my skills in those ships, I can't get used to the way the ship fires... the way shells arc, etc. 

[O7]
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Why is a reason required to play them? What if people simply like playing ships like the Yamato and being bigger than everything else and bulling them down? 

Edit: Are you using premium consumables? I remember several other threads like this were people were using camo and premium consumables and then complaining about not making a profit when the consumables more than made up the difference. Its like shooting all gold in WOT. 

Edited by 1nv4d3rZ1m

Members
1,392 posts
6,939 battles

Yes but like Lert said at the expense of depleting the mid tiers which would make everyone sit at tier 10 and then there are no one to play against if you're brand new and want to grind along. Not even for Co-op.

This is why they try and force people back into the mid tiers to keep a healthy gaming population as a whole.

You don't think people would actually grind out ships if they could actually make money at T10?  I mean.. if you really think about it... making T10 ships credit profitable would be a good business model for wargaming.  Because as you are grinding credits, you have to buy bloons to convert free exp.. otherwise people grind T10 for credits, to buy the next ship in line, then play that ship for exp, to unlock modules, and the next ship. Then grind credits again..? 

30,523 posts
5,860 battles

You don't think people would actually grind out ships if they could actually make money at T10?  I mean.. if you really think about it... making T10 ships credit profitable would be a good business model for wargaming.  Because as you are grinding credits, you have to buy bloons to convert free exp.. otherwise people grind T10 for credits, to buy the next ship in line, then play that ship for exp, to unlock modules, and the next ship. Then grind credits again..? 

But here's the dumb question if you make tier 10s profitable. Once everyone gets to tier 10, WHO IS THERE TO GRIND AGAINST?

That is the problem with your plan. Everyone would rush to 10, sit at 10 and not play anything else. Remember, to seriously grind, you need players to play against, if they are mostly at tier 10, who's their to grind against to get to said tier?

[KIA-C]
Supertester
1,832 posts
6,573 battles

It's profitable for WG because they want you to buy credits and doubloons, that's why it's not profitable 

Sign in to follow this