You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheDutchSeaWolf

Torps hit ... but don't hit? can anyone explain?

13 comments in this topic

Members
121 posts
5,612 battles

I shoot, I follow the torps, by all means it shuold have hit but... it passes the ship without doing anything.

recording might be a bit laggy as it was a quick record without adjusting settings in obs

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,082 battles

That looks like desync. It makes the ship appear farther back than it actually is.

Members
121 posts
5,612 battles

That looks like desync. It makes the ship appear farther back than it actually is.

in the video or ingame? because I wonder how many hits I missed like that. The video shows the same as I saw ingame and during gameplay no lag was present

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

In game desync which shows on your replay since it records it from your perspective. 99% chance the ship was further forward than was shown.

Members
121 posts
5,612 battles

So .... basically it is a poker game? the ship MIGHT be where I see it but maybe it is somewhere else?

How can I avoid this desync crap?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,203 posts

The torpedo-men need fired... they set the torps to run too deep for the class of ship you were attempting to hit. 

:rolleyes:

Have to say I've seen more than one of these pass under my BB's this week... 

I agree it is likely a sync issue...  but if I'm driving the target and I SEE this... does that mean I'm really not where I think I am? 

I think this could be the answer to my earlier complaint this week regarding sighting/firing and missing by a couple of kilometers. 

If what I SEE is not where it is but somewhere else because of server to client sync issues, it would clearly cause my target/sighting reticle to be off by a kilometer or two at a distance of ten kilometers or more... 

Hmm... 

Members
121 posts
5,612 battles

The torpedo-men need fired... they set the torps to run too deep for the class of ship you were attempting to hit. 

:rolleyes:

Have to say I've seen more than one of these pass under my BB's this week... 

I agree it is likely a sync issue...  but if I'm driving the target and I SEE this... does that mean I'm really not where I think I am? 

I think this could be the answer to my earlier complaint this week regarding sighting/firing and missing by a couple of kilometers. 

If what I SEE is not where it is but somewhere else because of server to client sync issues, it would clearly cause my target/sighting reticle to be off by a kilometer or two at a distance of ten kilometers or more... 

Hmm... 

the Torpedo crew has been keel-hauled and probably walk the plank later today

but yeah, that is an interesting point right there. That I don't see the psition right due to sync issues is of course annoying but if I can't even be sure on my own position....... how can I play it in a decent way then....

[NNC]
Members
1,185 posts
21,471 battles

I can say this happened tonight with my Blyskavich. I think I got lucky though because they appeared to pass through a Tirpitz then suddenly the Tirpitz blew up 5 seconds later, devastating strike.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,162 battles

Yup, torps and desync make for a nasty combination.  I'll never forget the time a few months ago when my poor Minekaze was detonated by a torp that looked like it passed half a ship length in front of her from my end.

I've luckily been avoiding any sort of lag or desync lately, but that was only after my ISP upped my speed from 20Mbps up/2 down to 100 up/10 down and then dropping $2000 on a rig that should be absolute overkill for this game.  If various aspects of the game and the servers it runs on were better-optimized, desync probably wouldn't be something we would have to go to such lengths to avoid. 

Members
2,210 posts
6,631 battles

There is also the element of random RNG dud torp that hit with out damage. its in the game, Like bounce shell in WOT's.:look:

Members
121 posts
5,612 battles

Yup, torps and desync make for a nasty combination.  I'll never forget the time a few months ago when my poor Minekaze was detonated by a torp that looked like it passed half a ship length in front of her from my end.

I've luckily been avoiding any sort of lag or desync lately, but that was only after my ISP upped my speed from 20Mbps up/2 down to 100 up/10 down and then dropping $2000 on a rig that should be absolute overkill for this game.  If various aspects of the game and the servers it runs on were better-optimized, desync probably wouldn't be something we would have to go to such lengths to avoid. 

My connection should be ok as I have double of what you got (for the mathematical impaired 200MBPS Down/ 20MBPS up) and although I do not have the most high end system it is well within the specs for this game :) 

ah well, there was nobody in this topic shouting "thats a hack" and that is all that matters in the end. If it is something that "can happen" it can happen to all of us. Still not sure if and if so how it can be avoided besides buying a leet system  but if it is what it is I can live with it. :)

thanks for the replies all :) 

Edited by TheDutchSeaWolf