You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_GoDDfather

Thing I Noticed About The Albany

16 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

In my poll earlier today, I noticed a couple of trends for the Albany.

1. It was a free slot for some.

or

2. It's a wall flower.

I personally love this ship, with all its quirks. I put AFT & BFT on my cruiser captain, so I guess mine's a bit better...

I get that some don't like it, but why specifically?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

It's too range is too short, it's visual targeting range is even worse and it's slow.

Practically everything can invisifire you

Beta Testers
342 posts
8,070 battles

That is the Albany's problem right there. You're spotted loooong before you can fire back.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

That is the Albany's problem right there. You're spotted loooong before you can fire back.

Yep. I love the ship, but it's frustrating when you're being shot from 9 kilometers and can't even see them, let alone fire back.

Beta Testers
4,982 posts
6,249 battles

Yep. I love the ship, but it's frustrating when you're being shot from 9 kilometers and can't even see them, let alone fire back.

Oddly enough, I haven't had that problem so far.

[GVO]
[GVO]
Beta Testers
147 posts
10,024 battles

It's only workable when you have AFT and Concealment Expert.

7.56km range, 7.5km surface detect ability (with the concealment camo), and just enough draw distance to see what you're shooting at.

I keep it around 4 teh lulz.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,632 posts
29,118 battles

I love taking ships that everyone hates and making them shine.  

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

KmsH44 - can you please use proper words & not Abbreviations. AFT? BFT? Besides these 2 Cpt skills (whatever those are) why wouldn't you eventually have more?

I got rid of my Albany for the free slot. I have better gift ships than the Albany that I plan on keeping - Diana, Emden, Iwaki Alpha & Arkansas Beta.

Maybe I should have kept it as it is 'pretty' but it is not really that great (imho).

Beta Testers
56 posts
2,126 battles

It is tough enough to withstand a couple of salvos until you are in range, and once in range you can crush any other Tier II, and many Tier III.

Beta Testers
19,049 posts
8,134 battles

It's only workable when you have AFT and Concealment Expert.

7.56km range, 7.5km surface detect ability (with the concealment camo), and just enough draw distance to see what you're shooting at.

I keep it around 4 teh lulz.

AlTOG.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

Oddly enough, I haven't had that problem so far.

How would you know ... they are invisible? :hiding:

As far as keeping the ship, I believe in the rule, with few exceptions, that you never sell a premium ship.  The primary reason is that Wargaming's policy is that, if they give you something you already have, they will give you the equivalent in gold instead.  Likewise, if the reason I am not using it is that it is under powered, they may always revisit its balance and buff it.  In some cases, it may be a ship they may never offer again, meaning it is a rare ship, so it is nice to have it in the collection even if you never take it out and may not get it back if you sold it.

I love taking ships that everyone hates and making them shine.  

A little Turtle Wax™ buffs them right up. :teethhappy:

It's too range is too short, it's visual targeting range is even worse and it's slow.

This sums up the Albany's problems.  Virtually everyone can out range you, and they are faster, which means that you cannot chase them down.

For instance, the last time I took my Albany out, I had to head back to cap to prevent a base capture.  I was able to light up and damage the destroyer that was one of the ships on cap while someone else destroyed him.  I then was able to apply enough pressure to chase the other ship off cap.  However, he quickly got beyond my gun range, but he was able to still hit me.  He was faster than me, so there was no way for me to close the distance, meaning all I could do is take a beating until I was dead.  I withdrew hoping to pull him back into my allies.  By the time I got out of his range, I was pretty beat up.

There was a Tier 1 cruiser on my team that was able to engage the ship I was retreating from, and he (my guy) was able to kill him, but the enemy remained out of my range, so I could not help.  As we sailed toward the enemy cap, I typed a compliment in chat to the other player.  Apparently, though, he was a ... err ... shall we say ... "special needs" player as he cussed me out and called me a coward, apparently because I was not stupid enough to chase a target that could hit me at will while I had no chance of damaging him.

And that is the problem with the Albany.  If you can get in the sweet spot where you can see and shoot the enemy, it is okay, but its view range and gun range are so short, it can even be outclassed by Tier 1 ships.  Thus, I keep mine for the above reasons and because I want to have a Tier II ship available in case a friend needs to play in those tiers, but it is nothing I would take out on a regular basis even if I was inclined to play that tier range.

Edited by Sotaudi

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,754 posts
4,574 battles

I agree. It's quite helpless without the support of team-mates. As a lone target, the Albany needs to get close to engage a target, and the short range allows for the enemy to wittle your HP down before you're close enough to engage.

Even though it's such a pretty ship, I'm a bit reluctant to play with it.