You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ballistic_Dad

So...Ranked battles

25 comments in this topic

Members
130 posts
6,393 battles

I've yet to enter a ranked battle, and from the ranting about poor players or teams, what are some strategies for someone new (cruiser and Battleship)?

I like to win, not saying anyone doesn't, but I've worked hard solo to get my win rate up...unfortunately by not division'ing' (ever) does that effect my team playing skills in ranked......or do you just play the role of your vessel in a certain manner?

On a side note, I do not play very often (10- 30 matches per week sipping coffee or Shiner Bock.....both give me different play styles), but may be off a few days next week and give'er a solid go.

[RT]
Beta Testers
276 posts

Ranked battles are a great addition, it does take tolerance and a little patience on your part to wait for the Good Team to battle with. 

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Ranked battles are a great addition, it does take tolerance and a little patience on your part to wait for the Good Team to battle with. 

The one thing that I learned I don't have for some people since playing ranked lol

@OP: Play your ship in its role. If you are a battleship, dish out the damage and kill anything you can. CA? Stay near your capital ships and support them. You would be amazed at how well a game can go if everyone plays their ships role (Almost wishful thinking)

Members
129 posts
1,053 battles

Ranked Battles are more for the experienced players who know what they are doing with their ship and how to work well with their team. I would say you should learn your ship very well before trying them out.

Members
783 posts
6,554 battles

Ranked Battles are more for the experienced players who know what they are doing with their ship and how to work well with their team. I would say you should learn your ship very well before trying them out.

Who stops the Atago players that bought it earlier today from clicking battle?

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Some of my Ranked team members yesterday.... answer: Nothing

Battles: 858       WR: 39%     Average Damage: 18,000 - Derpitz

Battles: 243       WR: 46%     Average Damage: 22,000 - Atago

Battles: 2140     WR: 41%     Average Damage: 14,000 - North Carolina

Battles: 116       WR: 43%     Average Damage: 21,000 - Atlanta

Battles: 1152     WR: 31%     Average Damage: 14,000 - Atago

Members
130 posts
6,393 battles

Thanks for the comments everyone

Tolerance and patience? Early forties, kids, and professional career--CHECK! :great: 

I don't fret over losses since these are pub games online (and just pure entertainment), I just don't want to be the cause of a loss

I was just curious of the difference in strategy versus random battles as well....because I've noticed the few playing "random" with ranked flags seem to play on the outskirts of the battle or behind and rarely push (except the DD's)

speaking of Kids....gotta take mine to the movies, so everyone have a safe Friday night if you're going out.

Members
130 posts
6,393 battles

Some of my Ranked team members yesterday.... answer: Nothing

Battles: 858       WR: 39%     Average Damage: 18,000 - Derpitz

Battles: 243       WR: 46%     Average Damage: 22,000 - Atago

Battles: 2140     WR: 41%     Average Damage: 14,000 - North Carolina

Battles: 116       WR: 43%     Average Damage: 21,000 - Atlanta

Battles: 1152     WR: 31%     Average Damage: 14,000 - Atago

​ouch, thanks for sharing.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I took the mutsuki to ranked till 15 and it  wasn't bad.   Very few DDs last couple days and I had nice streak of wins.    IJN DD can do well in 5 or 6 tier.  still debating what ship to use.  still working on getting the benson.   have bucky and mogami, but havn't used mogami much yet.  

[DDO]
Beta Testers
119 posts
6,557 battles

This is true, but of last few matches I have been seeing a lot of cowards,  we had the match in the bag, they were scattered all over the map, had both A and B capped, then the other team regrouped and started to charge us.  we had them out gunned but instead of holding our formation they(our team)  turned and ran, not even sending a single shell to help out are DDs   Who did a great job,  I got my [edited]handed to me in my New Orleans trying to get our dds out to reform the fleet.  Not a day 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

from rank 15,  I just bought a benson.    still stock hull, but fully modded.  I've played the first game in fubuki and it just wasn't good enough.     benson in the 3 games were all good wins, as you will be doing lot of anti DD work. You really need to know how to be really good DDer with benson.    frequently, you are fighting bensons.        tier 7 DDs are severely handicapped due to slower speed and concealment.   Kiev can work, if it work with Benson/fubuki as supporting gunship.    concealment is a big deal with short range firepower in ranked for anti DD fight.    helping your team win doesn't necessarily has to do with just fighting though.  last match, I  was chased by 2 BB and 2 DD away from the cap.   I managed to kill a tirpitz with torps, and somehow survived to get away with sliver of health.  it took them out of position and allowed us to cap the second cap.  by the time they turned around,  itwas too late.  end of match had 3 of us (2 benson and bb vs 2 of them left with more health)  In another, I worked with teshkent and we took out 2 benson with help from rest of the team.    One of the enemy benson did not have concealment mod, and I had huge advantage.  ran into hatsu later on and it was a meat aswell.   getting 2 DD ahead was huge, even though they had 2 cap lead in a 3 cap game initially.  even though 2 of my game, enemy had more bensons, good tactics allowed us to win and overcome the disadvantage.  sh

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,876 battles

Ive had limited success playing ranked, to me it's like a crap shoot , no matter how well you play it's a team effort and you don't pick em, so I wonder how people get a 100% success rate in that case

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

Actually, if this is your first season you will start out in lower tier ranked t5-6, which isn't that different than randoms. If you do well individually in randoms you should be fine. The main thing is to go into the battle with the attitude of team over individual. Play your role. If you aren't sure what that is, ask in chat at start of battle. Just ask them which cap and/or what they want you to do. Playing a DD is a good way to start I feel, because you can contribute a lot by just capping and giving vision to your team, while you are figuring out the ropes. Ranked team play is far superior IMO, and a lot of fun. Don't miss out, dive in. 

Also check out this thread:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/66489-ranked-ship-guide/

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

Well if you dig into Ship Comrades stats you will see that they usually stop themselves out of frustration. As a whole an Atago piloted by a player with at least 20 Ranked games in it is one of the 2 most efficient ship with respect to Win Ratio in Ranked this season. While anecdotally, everyone likes to point to an instance of a clueless wallet warrior in an Atago, I would chalk that up to observational bias (which is to say we remember the 5% wallet warriors because they make us rage and forget the rest that in fact are some of the better captains in Ranked as proven out by the stats).

Full disclosure, I don't have an Atago, and used to think the same thing until I actually looked at the data. Now if they bring an Atlanta the best action is TK them at start of match, so they never bring it again. :popcorn:

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

New Orleans trying to get our dds out to reform the fleet.  Not a day 

Read the tread I posted above. New Orleans is a derp ship in ranked, as it simply is inferior given the ranked meta at the MM cost of a tier VIII ship.

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

I've played the first game in fubuki and it just wasn't good enough.     

Not true. It isn't going to work though if you try to play it like a benson. I just switched from Hatsu to Fubuki in ranked (currently at Rank 4). I had 34 battles in Hatsu with a 61% win rate, and now have 9 battles in the Fubuki all wins. With the Hatsu I was much more leary about directly engaging bensons, with the Fubuki much less so. It is a very different playstyle to be effective in it in Ranked than the other non-IJN DDs. 

You really have to approach the game in a very different way to maximize the value of the Fubuki in Ranked, but I am becoming more and more convinced that when played correctly, it may be the single most effective way for an individual captain to contribute to a positive WR.

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

Ive had limited success playing ranked, to me it's like a crap shoot , no matter how well you play it's a team effort and you don't pick em, so I wonder how people get a 100% success rate in that case

I felt the same way. Try spending a little time in a Pensacola in Ranked (brutal). When I switched to the IJN DDs my win rate went from 49% to 70% (Hatsu & Fubuki) with the Fubuki at 100% after 9 games. If played correctly it can be a huge X factor to WR.

[13TH]
Members
4,898 posts
8,876 battles

I felt the same way. Try spending a little time in a Pensacola in Ranked (brutal). When I switched to the IJN DDs my win rate went from 49% to 70% (Hatsu & Fubuki) with the Fubuki at 100% after 9 games. If played correctly it can be a huge X factor to WR.

I really do suck at DDs, have played Cruisers so much have developed good habits for Cruisers bad for DDs :)

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

I really do suck at DDs, have played Cruisers so much have developed good habits for Cruisers bad for DDs :)

I started out trying Ranked in a Cruiser, unfortunately once past rank 14  you are in the tier VII and VIII pool and cruisers (with only a couple of exceptions) are hard pressed. From the tread I linked above here is some good advice on what ships to bring, the stat at ship comrade back it up too.

"Preferred ships: Benson, Mogami, Atago, Tirptiz, Shokaku, Lexington

Acceptable ships: Fubuki, Tashkent, Blyscawicha, New Orleans, Admiral Hipper, Amagi, North Carolina, Hyriu, Ranger

Dont bring: Hatsuharu, Sims, Kiev, Myoko, ARP Myoko, Kitakami, Pensacola, Atlanta, Yorck, Mikhail Kutuzov, Nagato, Colorado

Window licker class: Mahan" - kid_next_door

So Mogami and Atago are really your best bet if you want to maintain a positive Win Ratio in Higher tiered Ranked in a CA.

Oh, and trust me on this one, the Pensacola is a death trap in Ranked. There are only 2 captains that used it in 20 or more battles with a positive win rate in it, and then just barely over 50%.

Also, see note above about Atlanta's.

Edited by KromaBaSyl

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,175 posts
7,592 battles

Even if you buy an Atago today, you can't enter Ranked Battles with Atago unless you have played Ranked Battles before (tier 5-6 bracket instead of 7-8 bracket).

[RLBAD]
Members
217 posts
5,848 battles

I've yet to enter a ranked battle, and from the ranting about poor players or teams, what are some strategies for someone new (cruiser and Battleship)?

I like to win, not saying anyone doesn't, but I've worked hard solo to get my win rate up...unfortunately by not division'ing' (ever) does that effect my team playing skills in ranked......or do you just play the role of your vessel in a certain manner?

On a side note, I do not play very often (10- 30 matches per week sipping coffee or Shiner Bock.....both give me different play styles), but may be off a few days next week and give'er a solid go.

Show leadership. Take initiative in terms of which areas to capture, etc. Generally people will listen.

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

Show leadership. Take initiative in terms of which areas to capture, etc. Generally people will listen.

QFT...yeah, I have found this to be the most important factor to getting Wins, and there is always someone willing to coordinate if you just ask, or suggest a course of action. Most people will follow if leadership is provided.
  • Cool 1

[RLBAD]
Members
217 posts
5,848 battles

QFT...yeah, I have found this to be the most important factor to getting Wins, and there is always someone willing to coordinate if you just ask, or suggest a course of action. Most people will follow if leadership is provided.

Remember: Most people, in real life and in video games, are sheep. If you establish yourself as a figure of authority, then most people will listen. Again, both irl and in game.

[DDO]
Beta Testers
119 posts
6,557 battles

Show of force seems to work, "IF" you can keep the fleet together and get the DD's to screen long enough for the CA's and BBs to work 80% of the times its good for a win.  When people go off alone they just get picked off.  But as the Ranked comes to a close all the POS people like to come in and do PK to there team, or go AFK  and Pink ships should not even be allowed in a Ranked match.  

[ITCRD]
Members
205 posts
9,301 battles

Season 2 I had a game..

CV decided he didn't want in a ranked battle and says "Sorry didn't want ranked. GL" and quits. Other BB gets mad and quits. Our DD is pissed and torps both them and hits me in my BB also. Then the DD quits. 

I get 3 kills High Caliber and Confederate anyway, but lose. Is there anything I could possibly do to win? No. 

Next game I'm TK'd ./

so not real motivated to play Ranked.. like at all..