Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Whats the deiiference?? K-class

18 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

Bear with me once more as I cover yet another German class, before you start getting out your torches and pitchforks and start calling me a wehraboo realize that this is the last German capital class of WWII. I started with the German ships because their differences are the most numerous and the most noticable. The next ship wont be German. Today ill be showing off the K-class.

We'll start with the bow. In order from left to right Konigsberg, Karlsruhe, Koln.

A: notice that Karlsruhe's anchor is on deck, where Konigsberg and koln's are mounted in the hulls.

B: This bulge is unique to Karlsruhe.

Note: Konigsberg and Koln's bows are identical.

ypQk8P9.png

Moving on to the Bridges. Ships are in the same order. For the bridges I used arrows pointing to loacations on Konigsberg, because of the size of the image and the closeness of the "differences" circles ended up hiding alot of important details. 

A: The spotting platform on top of Konigsberg and Kon's tower are identical (note the loadspeaker just below this structure on Koln, absent on her sisters) . On Karlsruhe there is a walking deck extending out from this area in front of, and to the sides of the structure.

B: The small platform holding a single spotlight is at a different hight on all 3 ships.

C: This are is different on all 3 ships. On Konigsberg it is a small box like structure, on Karlsruhe it is a raised platform and on Koln it is an enclosed room with an AA 20mm AA mount on the roof.

D: on Konigsberg this deck overhangs past the main bridge structure. On Karlsruhe and Kon the Bridge structure extends to the same length as this deck, on Koln there is a small gap between decks compared to Karlsruhe which features a completely solid and enclosed structure.

E: this is marked on Koln. Having been the only ship of the class to survive the Invasion of norway Koln had this finder replaced with a radar mount.

Note that on Karlsruhe there is a small gap in the midle of the deck containing a finder directly over the bridge, there is no gap on her sisters. Notice also that Karlsruhe and Koln have 3 small square windows below the large bridge windows, where Konigsberg has 2 small circluar windows.

UvRuTtu.png

now to the midsection

A: Karlsruhe has the tallest mast. Konigsberg an Koln's are the same hight. Karlsruhe also has a crows nest half way up her mast.

B: Karlsruhe has triangular funnel caps, they are flat on Konigsberg and Koln

C: Karlsruhe has a defferent crane than her sisters.

D: Koln had her catapult removed in 1941

Note: The small structure under the catapult on Karlsruhe and Koln extends further forward than it does on Konigsberg. Also note that Konigsberg has 2 searchlight platforms stacked on either side of the rear funnel and none on the forward funnel, Karlsruhe has a single searchlight platform on either side of both funnels and Koln has a single searchlight platform on stilts on either side of, and next to, the rear funnel and none by the forward funnel.

xXcE21i.png

Finally we look at the rear superstrucure of each ship.

A: Karlsruhe and Koln have a 37mm training gun behind turret B, Konigsberg does not.

B: Karlsruhe's 88mm turret is located closer to the rear superstructure than her sisters.

C: Karlsruhe has a small fenced platfrom extending to the rear of the superstructure, Konigsberg has a much smaller extension here.

D: where Konigsberg and Karlsruhe share the same rear superstructure desing, Koln's is completely different, most distinguishable by the large gap between the two tall structures.

Note all 3 ships, including Koln which is the sister we have in game, have a 88mm turret beside the rear superstructure. In game this is replaced by 2 single AA mounts... Koln in this image is shown in 1944 and still has these turrets.. so unless WG's Koln is from 1945 (which i doubt) than this is an error on WG's part.

DpUNPc0.png

and those are the Aesthetical differences of the K sisters.

Konigsberg

Karlsruhe

Koln

CL%20Koenigsberg%201940.png

CL%20Karlsruhe%201940.pngCL%20Koeln%201944.png

Edited by dseehafer
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

BTW if you like the camo pattern on the Koln Edelweisse made an awesome skin of it! Also because The Konigsberg is actually the Koln in game you wont have any moral conflicts.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/151kyats7qvgyby/koln1942.7z

2hokMhS.jpg

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Did any one else notice that the turrets are all different colors?

the Germans colored turrets to signify different operations in different areas. For example during operation Berlin the gneisenau had Yellow turret tops. During the famous channel dash Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Prinz Eugen all had light blue turret tops.... the list goes on...
Edited by dseehafer

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,460 posts
1,963 battles

Note all 3 ships, including Koln which is the sister we have in game, have a 88mm turret beside the rear superstructure. In game this is replaced by 2 single AA mounts... Koln in this image is shown in 1944 and still has these turrets.. so unless WG's Koln is from 1945 (which i doubt) than this is an error on WG's part.

Given the degree of error on the upgraded Konigsberg hull, I think the lack of twin 88s is intentional on WGs part. As is the retaining of two of the sets of torpedo tubes. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I'm sorry, wth is the point of this?

To improve your schmarts... also as a modeller aesthetics are extremely imprtant to me.
Edited by dseehafer

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

EDIT: added complete side profiles of all 3 ships.

Members
1,866 posts
6,950 battles

Have you ever considered writing a book or something? Maybe a website or whatever? Your work is very professional and with the amount of time you must take to do these I think your posts deserves to be on something bigger. Your work is truly awesome, keep them coming!

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Have you ever considered writing a book or something? Maybe a website or whatever? Your work is very professional and with the amount of time you must take to do these I think your posts deserves to be on something bigger. Your work is truly awesome, keep them coming!

wow, your kind words mean allot mate. no i never considered anything bigger...

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Quiz time!! given the imformation you now know, which sister is this?

T6ueysS.png

Members
1,866 posts
6,950 battles

Quiz time!! given the imformation you now know, which sister is this?

T6ueysS.png

Karlsruhe! With her unique crane!
Edited by Marcanbus_NA

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Karlsruhe! With her unique crane!

karlsruhe is right. Notice her taller mast and funnel caps

Members
1,866 posts
6,950 battles

karlsruhe is right. Notice her taller mast and funnel caps

The crane is the first thing that I noticed, but now that I look at the mast and the funnels it is pretty obvious that way too

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

The crane is the first thing that I noticed, but now that I look at the mast and the funnels it is pretty obvious that way too

the crane is sometimes not visible though, which is why its good to have a backup unique feature memorized

Sign in to follow this