Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sorvesteon

Atlanta: How To Play Effectively

11 comments in this topic

Members
59 posts
4,926 battles

This is my new video intended to help newer players who want to get better at playing the Atlanta!

It is based on my own experiences playing the Atlanta and how I found a way to succeed in this ship.

Edited by Sorvesteon
  • Cool 2

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
609 posts
28,095 battles

Spot on, Sorvesteon!  Nice to see a little love for my favorite ship.

Having 300+ battles in the ship, and a Vice Admiral as captain, I could not agree more.

~ Sabene

[RST]
Members
828 posts
19,419 battles

Excellent video - very well done and great advice on how to play the Atlanta.  Two thumbs up!

I purchased the Atlanta so I could compete in the 'Blue Steel' missions.  Not that I really want these particular ships, but I enjoy doing missions and having some larger goal while I'm playing (smart business WOWs - you sold me on a purchase).  I've been here a little over a month and have mostly been an IJN DD player.  I realized that playing a DD would be great for these missions, except I'd never shoot down 150 planes with a Minekaze and have no interest in doing carriers.  I didn't want to waste some time grinding up a cruiser so I looked at the premium ships and the choice came down to the Atlanta or the Atago.  My heart was with the Japanese cruiser, but I felt Tier VIII would be too big a leap at this stage so I went with the Atlanta.

My first mission with the Atlanta I do what I always do - engine full speed ahead to the front lines!   And ... I was dead in two minutes.  Blown out of the water by a single salvo from a battleship I never even saw.  The first dozen or so missions went along similar lines ... ugh, I could see how people can get frustrated with this ship.  As the video says, "the armor is made of paper".  I had read all the reviews and guides beforehand, listened to the advice on how to play it, but until you make all the mistakes yourself it doesn't really sink in until you are sunk.

But, if you work at the challenge and get better, this is a really fun ship to play.  For me it's a blast just heaving a ton of shells at the enemy.  The rate of fire is tremendous.  It's like you're going into battles against people armed with sniper rifles and RPGs, and you have a sawed-off shotgun - play appropriately.

It served its purpose for me too - it blows planes out of the sky.  Given that I only see carriers in 40% of the matches, I averaged about 5 plane kills a battle.  I killed over a dozen several times in a match, with a high of 18 shot down in one fight.

Great video, great advice, great ship!  Have fun with it!

Edited by Fedge_123

Members
59 posts
4,926 battles

Thanks guys for the nice comments! I spent a lot of time making that video, so I'm glad that other people think it's useful and well made :)

[_TXT_]
Members
18 posts
5,790 battles

Nice video, while the Atlanta can be good, it's still a poor ship in comparison. It's biggest issue besides it being very dependent on your team, the map, mm, and situation. Is it's main guns even with all the supporting mods you can get still get's destroyed too quickly. There have been many matches where half or more of its guns have been permanently destroyed. Any other ship the worst I have ever had is a quarter of the turrets destroyed before the end. 

Edited by Juiblex79

Members
37 posts
2,399 battles

Thank you very much Sorvesteon for this video on the Atlanta.  Your hard work on this shows and Im not being snarky, very sincere.  What I enjoyed alot was your explanation on different aspects of the ship and through trial and error have found what you explained to be very much spot on.  As a not very good player, I had at first thought I made a mistake purchasing this ship but once you play it strictly as a support ship, a good captain can make this ship shine.

Thanks again

Members
379 posts
5,455 battles

Thank you it  is a very good video. I like the looks of the ship and did a lot of reading the reviews of the Atlanta but being at tier 4, 5 player with the ships in game, I was not sure about buying a tier 7 ship but when it went on sale I could not hold out any longer so I bought the ship. I used it a couple of times in coop battles and it is a lot of fun to play. It can sit in my docks till I get more experience. I am glad to see how to use the ship.

Alpha Tester
6,026 posts
2,917 battles

This is my new video intended to help newer players who want to get better at playing the Atlanta!

It is based on my own experiences playing the Atlanta and how I found a way to succeed in this ship.

You were beaten to the punch a LOOOOOONG time ago by something much funnier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3x0aeoPhc

[SILVA]
Members
3 posts
2,728 battles

just got into the game, made many of the mistakes you describe, hopefully i will become better for it.  thanks

Sign in to follow this