You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Test your Schmarts! dseehafer's naval quiz!

56 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Hey guys, im bored so lets have some fun! Here are some questions on 20th century naval warfare. Have fun and let me know how you did!

1. Q: What was the smallest dreadnought ever built?

A: Spain's Espana class

2. Q: At the beginning of WWII which nation had the most modern fleet of warships? (not technologically but new ships to old ships ratio)

A: Italy. The fleet Italy went to war with had been almost entirely constructed or modernized during the 1930's

3. Q: Which battleship sank more ships than any other battleship in history?

A: Germany's Scharnhorst (with help from her sister)

4. Q: What was the most heavily armored battleship in history?

A: Germany's Tirpitz, some 44% of her standard weight was armor, compared to Yamato at just 32%.

5. Q: Battlecruisers were designed to counter what class of warship?

A: Armored cruisers

6. Q: True or False? Germany's Deutschland class were classified as Pocket Battleships.

A: False. The Deutschlands were officialy classified first as Panzerschiffe "armored ship" and then as Schwerer kreuzer "heavy cruiser" The term "pocket battleship" was purely a nickname given the Deutschlands by the allies and not a classification.

7. Q: Which Japanese battleship was sunk by her own high speed?

A: Kongo. After having been torpedoed by a single torpedo fired from a US submarine causing minor damage, the Kongo's captain ordered full speed ahead hoping to get away from the persuing submarine, however by going so fast the force of the rushing water peeled the torpedo hole even wider, allowing more and more water to come in. The Kongo would soon develop a severe list before rolling over and sinking... the captain never gave the order to abondon ship. over 2,000 lives were lost.

8. Q: True or False? The Tirpitz never sank an enemy vessel

A: False. On the 22nd of September 1943 the Tirpitz sank the British submarine X5 with her 152mm and 105mm guns.

9. Q: Who won the Battle of Jutland, Germany or Britain?

A: Trick question, it was a tactical draw. Although the British lost more ships, men and money, it was the Germans who retreated. Neither side acheived thurough and complete victory.

10. Q: Which German WWI battlecruiser ended up in the possesion of Turkey after the outbreak of WWI?

A: SMS Goeben

11. Q: Which nation built experimental circular Battleships?

A: Russai. Novgorod class

12. Q: What was the most heavily armored heavy cruiser of WWII

A: Italy's Zara class

13. Q: the purpose of the famous "dazzle" camoflague was to what?

A: Make the ships harder to spot

B: Make it difficult to tell the ship's speed and course

C: Make them less susceptible to aerial attack

D: All of the above

A: B: Make it difficult to tell the ship's speed and course

14. Q: France's Richelieu class battleship featured two quadrouple 15" gun turrets mounted forward and placed 90' away from each other. Why were the turrets placed so far away from eachother?

A: It lessened the chance of both turrets being taken out from a single hit

B: It gave the ship better firing arcs

C: The barbettes machinery required 45' space on either side of the turrets.

D: None of the above

A: A: It lessened the chance of both turrets being taken out from a single hit

15: Q: what is the only battleship to ever torpedo another battleship in combat?

A: HMS Rodney. Rodney fired a total of 12 torpedoes at the Bismarck during Bismarck's final fight, one of which hit home.

16. Q: What was the first warship to mount 18" guns?

A: British Monitor General Wolfe (1915)

17. Q: what is the world's last surviving pre-dreanought

A: Japan's Mikasa

18. Q: What is the world's last surviving dreadnought?

A: USS Texas

19. Q: What is the most seaworthy warship ever built (hint, it was impossible to capsize)

A: USS Oregon. Built to the exact dimesion of Noah's Ark, 348'/69'/24', The USS Oregon is concidered to be the most seaworthy warship ever built.

20. Q: True or False? The Yamato was the longest battleship ever built.

A: False. The Yamato measured 862' long while the Iowa class battleships measured 887' long.

Well hope you enjoyed, and hope you learned something new today! :)

• Cool 4

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I got one What battleship sunk twice?

Dunkerque, scuttled by the French, raised by the Germsn, bombed by the british... or was it her sister Strasbourg?? one of the two

Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

Answers:

1: Bacon

2: Bacon

3: More Bacon

4: Bacon

5: Bacon wrapped in Bacon

6: Truely false because of Bacon smothered with Bacon

7: Bacon covered in Bacon bits

8: Bacon

9: Bacon

10: Bacon

11: Bacon

12: More Bacon again

13: E: Bacon

14: E: Bacon

15: Bacon

16: Bacon

17: Bacon

18: Epic Bacon

19: Bacon

20: Even more Bacon

Members
2,337 posts
6,907 battles

USS Maine, ship sank in Havana harbor, Cuba. the navy did not want to leave it there so they floated her up towed her out to sea and sunk her again.:honoring:

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Wow, this is amazing.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

USS Maine, ship sank in Havana harbor, Cuba. the navy did not want to leave it there so they floated her up towed her out to sea and sunk her again.:honoring:

I would think possibly some of the BBs that were sunk at Pearl Harbor.  I know most of those were refloated and sent back out, any of those that sank would be twice sunk.  Not sure if any of them did sink though, the IJN didn't have great success.

USS Oklahoma was one, raised, sailed to San Francisco and scuttled.

Edited by Grizley

Alpha Tester
1,140 posts
2,160 battles

I didn't did too well but I really liked learning this stuff. The only ones I knew for sure were the last surviving pre-dreanoughtt (Mikasa) and HMS Rodney getting one torp on the Bismarck. I'm disappointed that you didn't ask what operation basically kept the Tirpitz out of the war. :D

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Though I was able to answer 10 of those questions, can't believe I'd never heard of this thing before.

Dd7lSgV.jpg

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/02/22/This-Circular-Ship-Was-the-Weirdest-Warship-Ever-Built/

As I've always been fascinated by such outlandish designs, building a working model of that glorious floating saucer just became a new addition to my bucket list.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Though I was able to answer 10 of those questions, can't believe I'd never heard of this thing before.

Dd7lSgV.jpg

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/02/22/This-Circular-Ship-Was-the-Weirdest-Warship-Ever-Built/

As I've always been fascinated by such outlandish designs, building a working model of that glorious floating saucer just became a new addition to my bucket list.

It is fascinating, but it was probably the worst warship design in history. it was unresponsive to turn, could not fire in anything but the calmest of weather, and firing the guns would send it into a violent spin.... the list goes on...

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

12/20. As a history buff and WWII lover, as well as a ship lover... I'm kinda embarrassed.

dont think of it has how much you didnt know, rather, think of how much you now know! :)

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Got a few right, mostly the WWI stuff.  What was the only battleship to sink a submarine?

Tirpitz sank a submarine....other than that one i dont know
Edited by dseehafer

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

Got a few right, mostly the WWI stuff.  What was the only battleship to sink a submarine?

The HMS Dreadnought, when it rammed the U-29.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,563 posts
28,786 battles

Thanks for the thread it was fun to learn this stuff :)

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,461 posts
1,963 battles

You got 16 wrong. HMS Furious was completed with an 18" gun in 1917 but General Wolfe didn't get hers til 1918

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

You got 16 wrong. HMS Furious was completed with an 18" gun in 1917 but General Wolfe didn't get hers til 1918

shoot, yep your right. I knew furious had an 18"er also but i didnt know which came first, i looked and saw that the wolfe was ccompleted a year earlier and that was good enough for me, shoulda dug deeper i guess. thanks for the correction mate!

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

yup, Yamato is pretty compact for what she packs.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

I would think possibly some of the BBs that were sunk at Pearl Harbor.  I know most of those were refloated and sent back out, any of those that sank would be twice sunk.  Not sure if any of them did sink though, the IJN didn't have great success.

Oklahoma sank in a storm on the way to being scrapped. 1946, I think.

yup, Yamato is pretty compact for what she packs.

They really were unique in every way. No only is the design a complete one-off due to class obsolescence, but they were virtually the only battleships ever designed without consideration for a budget of any kind. They could've been made longer and smaller if the Japanese has desired to economize.